Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Got some clay sling bullets on the way... (Read 33900 times)
quepy

Avoiding property damage
since 2009!

California
Re: Got some clay sling bullets on the way...
Reply #75 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 4:11am

This just that reminds me that most of my hobbies involve shooting in one form or another.   Yes, the AR-15 platform is renowned for accuracy, and most AR-15 owners would be able to outshoot even the best slingers any time of day. 

That said, the sling is a lot cheaper than a $1,000+ AR-15 and a sling can be taken a lot of places where an AR-15 usually can't.  And rocks are free while .223 Remington ammo (or anything else the upper is chambered in) is getting more expensive and hard to find by the day (which explains why I spend a lot more time with my slings than with my rifles!).

I will have to try out these clay bullets because exploding sling ammo sounds awesome.  But I was also thinking about getting a lead melter (for casting bullets) and then using it for not only reloading firearm rounds, but also for making football-shaped lead sling bullets.

P.S. The AK fires from a closed bolt, but many machine guns and submachine guns (such as the Thompson, A.K.A. "Tommy Gun") did use an open-bolt design.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #76 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 4:39am

My sling bullets have been blinged with aerosol paint. Some are fluorescent yellow all over and some are yellow on one side and matt black on the other for maximum spin visibility. I took one of these out for a chuck and still managed to lose it on the first proper throw  Sad

I am off to my folks tomorrow so that is when Operation Time Warp will begin!

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #77 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 6:42am

PJ I did not see the seatbelts yesterday but am keeping an eye out for them today.
For my own personal uses I don't spend as much time as David. I have found that the difference in flight is minimal, so they can be a little ugly.

Davids glandes are extremely good looking, the ones I am shipping are on par with them Wink

David
I can't wait for Operation Time Warp!!!!

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #78 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 9:16am

Went out yesterday to a nice empty football field for my first try with my clay ammo, and i think i'm in love. The ugly little footballs flew point first beautifully, spinning through the air silently in a nice arc from a classic helicopter release. Using my standard sling (an aussie pouch with nylon cords, about 4 feet pouch to loop) and a semi powerful helicopter, i managed a consistent 100-125 yards, possibly more as i couldnt find some of the last few i slung the more i got used to the ammo. The round balls did drop faster than the footballs, but in both i could feel how the consistent shape would improve accuracy. I did try out the mr. boss style sling i made (aussie pouch, nylon cord, a little over 6 feet pouch to end) both with a helicopter style sending a clay ball into the goalpost for a nice pretty poof of dust. When i tried his spinning style, i noticed a definite increase in range, but i couldnt get a good idea of how far since i had trouble timing the release and my big heavy football flew way left and into bunch of trees, though i have a feeling it could've made 150 yards easily. I plan to experiment more with that style and get to a point where i can fling a football piece with enough accuracy and power to get some real distance. I recovered 3 of my footballs from the grass of the baseball field where they landed and could tell they spun based on the marks left by the grass as they hit, curling about halfway around the point and side. (the ones that hit the road in between the two areas werent so lucky though) I decided to bring these 3 home and take them over to my normal spot where i have a large brick wall as a backstop. Below is all thats left of one of my humble projectiles after smashing into said brick wall.
I must say, i think Ive found my new favorite ammo, though i may have to get white as opposed to terracotta next time, it might (keyword might) be a bit easier to find them in the grass.

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #79 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 7:52pm

The "white" clay that I bought (distinguished from the alternative, "terra cotta") is much more of a light grey than a white color.

[EDIT:  When it is fully dried, it is a number of shades lighter grey than when it starts out wet.  It's nearly--but not quite--white in color.]

I have a number of glandes drying back at home right now... five smallish ones (they did in fact shrink from the original wet size) that I made on Sunday night, and nine larger ones that I made on Monday night.  When I'll get out to throw them, I don't know.  Less than half of my $20 worth of clay is used so far, and I'll probably start to make them of more uniform size by portioning out balls of a specific diameter before shaping them.  I don't want to bother going out to sling them until I have at least 20-30 that are fully dried and ready to go.

I'll take pictures of them before I do sling them, even though the ones I've made so far are not real pretty.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009 at 6:12am by peacefuljeffrey »  

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #80 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 5:30am

My little sister and I just went through all 20 pounds of the clay I bought yesterday. I have about 200 glandes ready to go. I am looking forward to getting off work tonight....

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #81 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 5:39am

You got TWO HUNDRED out of 20 pounds of clay?! Shocked

What are the dimensions of them??  Huh

Mine are, when dried, appx. 1.75"-1.875" diameter across, and 3.5"-4.0" in length.

I bought 25 lbs. of clay, have used perhaps half of it, and have 26 glandes made as of the ten I made tonight after work.

I have to say, I'm seriously jonesin' to get out and sling these.  I'll probably have to delay gratification (not a lot of time before I go to work, and it's been freakin' hot here lately!) but when I finally get out on a field with these, it's gonna be a good day!  I can feel by the heft of them that they're going to provide some serious satisfaction when slung.  Cheesy

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #82 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 5:59am

My glandes average about 2 inches long and 1 inche arcoss when dried. I found that for me larger does not get them to fly farther or more accuratly. I am going for maximum distance so the smaller glandes help achieve that.
Plus it's not as wasteful Wink

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #83 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 6:03am

Ok, I got ya.

Me, I wanted something that would hit with more impact than a golf ball, and fly farther.  And I want to finally get to feel what those who have nice round stones to sling have been feeling all this time: some weight at the end of their sling!

It's kind of difficult to get the feel for the release when there's not a lot of centrifugal pull on your sling.  These glandes I've made have appreciable weight to them.  (I would not want to be the guy who got hit with one of them!)  Part of my subconscious is playing a "delayed gratification" game right now; for I want to get out and sling with them, but something's making me wait, with the underlying feeling that if I wait until I have dozens of glandes dried, the sweetness of the session will be that much more intense... So I may end up not slinging until this weekend.  (Oh, and I won't be able to use my usual amphitheater, for fear of the destruction I would wreak!  Wink)

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #84 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 6:10am

Interesting aside:

On Sunday 7/26/09, I bought my clay and made my first clay glandes.
But on Saturday, 7/25/09, I finished reading a horror novel by Edward Lee called The Golem (clickie), which is (you may know of the legend) about arcane Jewish black magic that animates a clay-encrusted corpse into a nearly unstoppable killing machine.  Grisly deaths are depicted in the novel (it's in the "hardcore horror" genre).  The enchanted/cursed clay is specifically said, in the novel, to have come from the Vlatava River in Prague (and I haven't even checked to see if that's a real river); I keep finding myself wondering just where they got the clay that's packed into the box that I bought...  Undecided

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #85 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 6:22am

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Jul 29th, 2009 at 6:10am:
Interesting aside:

On Sunday 7/26/09, I bought my clay and made my first clay glandes.
But on Saturday, 7/25/09, I finished reading a horror novel by Edward Lee called The Golem (clickie), which is (you may know of the legend) about arcane Jewish black magic that animates a clay-encrusted corpse into a nearly unstoppable killing machine.  Grisly deaths are depicted in the novel (it's in the "hardcore horror" genre).  The enchanted/cursed clay is specifically said, in the novel, to have come from the Vlatava River in Prague (and I haven't even checked to see if that's a real river); I keep finding myself wondering just where they got the clay that's packed into the box that I bought...  Undecided

I don't know how much room you have where you are PJ. Just make sure if you are going for distance to give yourself plenty of room. The shaped clay goes a lot farther then you would expect.

I normally shoot 35-50 shots in a session. It's more fun when you can really wear yourself out.

I have heard of The Gollum from the same source I get most of my information on pop culture. The Simpsons.  Grin

Edit

I found another benefit from making clay glandes. Today as I was buying another 20 pounds and I noticed the price on the box was $7.00 I have been paying under $4.00 per box. I asked the girl who I have been getting it from about the price and she said I had been receiving the hottest guy discount. In response to my inquiry on what that was she said I was getting the employee discount because I am easy on the eyes.

My response was "well I guess I can give you the cute girl treatment", of course she asked what that is, to which my reply was "dinner on me". We are going out this Saturday. Grin

Thanks again David Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009 at 9:27pm by ilovepancakes »  

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #86 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 11:03pm

Holy crap!

So, she's good lookin'?

POST PICS!

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #87 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 11:47pm

nicely done sir, smooth is the way to go, winning hearts in craft marts.

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #88 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 8:37am

For those that are interested, date with craft store girl went well enough. Dinner and then an Irish pub to listen to some live music. Not incredibly interesting but it was refreshing to spend the evening with someone who could hold up their end of the conversation.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #89 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 7:35pm

Just to bump this good thread.   Iwas about to ask, but thought I'd search first.  Glad I did.

I bought 2 25lbs packages of clay for 13.75 a piece.  My 8 year old daughter made 20 a little smaller than a golf ball.  I made 32 about the size of small hens eggs.  We used not quite half the clay (no funds for a gram scale).  I put them in the oven at 300 F. (I think kilns go over 600F)  I figured this was a good halfway point between sun dry and kiln baked.  Also I want to sling some tomorrow.  I'll report back.

BTW ilovepancakes, any follow up dates? Smiley

RJ

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick)