Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Got some clay sling bullets on the way... (Read 33883 times)
Wizard
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

North Carolina
Re: Got some clay sling bullets on the way...
Reply #105 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 12:43pm

I was digging through the archives and came across this reference in one of David's posts (http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1299262416):

"...The Hawaiian slingstone was biconical, was 2.65 inches long and weighed 4.73 ounces, a little less than a baseball. The natives shaped it by rolling it between flat stones with motion to right and left as well as back and forth..."

Has anyone tried this?  I could see that, with practice, one might be able to crank out some clay ammo fairly quickly.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #106 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 9:00am

I have made a stone gland before, I did it by pecking and grinding it on my concrete front porch, they smoothed it up and polished it with finer grades of sandpaper.  It took a couple of days of off and on work.

Keep in mind that the people cited in the story used stone biconals as a type of money, so the people were literally walking around making money.  And the stone was probably limestone of some type, which is fairly soft.  And finally, it probably wasn't quick.

IP Logged

Wizard
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

North Carolina
Reply #107 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 6:29pm

Thanks for the reply, Bill.  I might have misinterpreted the reference.  I thought it referred to the working of soft damp clay to shape sling bullets.  Embarrassed

So, that "error" led me to try what I had in mind ... basically, using a paddle or two to help roll and shape biconical clay ammo.  After a few minutes to get the basic hang of it, it worked pretty well.  I believe with practice, one could shape a really nice biconical in 15-30 seconds.

Here are my first attempts: first attempt to post a photo here; we'll see how it goes...

Clockwise from top left the damp weights are 4, 3, 1, and 2 ounces.  They are not perfectly symmetrical; I did no final hand-shaping to touch them up.  I just wanted to see what I could do with two pieces of flat ... cardboard, in this case.  I made the larger one in about 30 seconds; the smallest one took the longest at about 60 seconds.  This is about 4x faster than I can do it solely by hand.  Again, I'll bet that with practice, these could go really fast and the symmetry would improve.

For what it's worth.

DSCN4903.jpg (144 KB | )
DSCN4903.jpg

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #108 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 8:30pm

I know I've still got some clay stashed somewhere around this place. Going to find it and give this shaping method a try. Thanks for the post, wizard Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #109 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 1:33pm

This thread http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1367632620/0 seems related.

The main writer was only briefly on the forum, alas.

IP Logged

Wizard
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

North Carolina
Reply #110 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 4:32pm

wanderer wrote on Apr 3rd, 2014 at 1:33pm:
This thread http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1367632620/0 seems related.

The main writer was only briefly on the forum, alas.

Thanks, wanderer!

Very interesting thread and just the type of information I was looking for.  I like the idea of 100% hand made better than using any other tools.  I did find that it was easier for me to get sharp points on the ends of the glandes with the flat "paddles" than by hand.  I don't think that points would necessarily be beneficial to flight but one could argue that the smaller radius would result in greater psi at impact.

I agree, too bad that member left the forum.  Seems an interesting guy with good information and an abundance of enthusiasm!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #111 - Apr 5th, 2014 at 11:37am

I hand rolled quite a few biconicals, and a truckload of clay balls.

It's quite fast, after a few dozens.
I have the clay gland rolled into rough sphere or better egg shaped first,
then, i take it between my palms, and keep my hand like praying.
Then I move my palms up and down,in opposite direction, while keeping them parallel. The tip of the bicon is formed in the V shaped groove on the lower side of the palm, just above the wrist.
By applying gentle pressure, and with some experience, i think I could roll a close to perfect biconical in about 30 seconds. (If the clay is ready for use).

palm_hand.jpg (21 KB | )
palm_hand.jpg

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #112 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 5:53am

After realising that I had air dry clay I had to think of something to do with it.  I had opened the packet and had left it for 10 minutes before I realised so I quickly rolled some clay glands. some that I filled with lead Spheres  (the lead was intended  to smelt and the clay was intended for a mould)

Turned out OK
Maybe
Hasn't dried yet

Photo of the mess

Some with lead some pure clay and the big egg has all my lead scraps in it

Anyone done this

image_045.jpeg (114 KB | 52 )
image_045.jpeg

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #113 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 10:50am

I don't put lead in my clay glandes but if I want some ammo, I either have to drive 30 miles to the river, where there are some rocks or make my ammo from clay that I get from the a slough that is about 300m from my house. 

I can drive my truck right up to, which is rather important if you want to fill up several buckets at one time.  Wet clay is about the same weight as water, so two buckets are about 1/2 my body weight. I weigh about 185 pounds or about 80 kg. 

I try to fill up at least 8 to 10 buckets at a time, most gets made into pots but a lot gets used for glandes.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #114 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:57pm

I have tried stones in clay glandes to increase weight. Usually as the clay dries it cracks. Air dry clay may behave differently though.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #115 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 7:44pm

No cracks , seems to have dried quite well, only 1 cracked and that was the one with multiple pieces of lead , it exploded in the air.

Biconical is amazing first turn with good ammo and you can see why that shapes the best.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #116 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 9:54am

Clay shrinks as the moisture evaporates.  If there is something inside the clay that doesn't contract, then the clay cracks.  Drying faster on one side causes two different contraction rates, which also causes cracks.

Dug clay usually has microscopic pieces of vegetable material in is that holds more water than pure clay.  So, as it dries, it tends to shrink a lot as the vegetable material gives up the water in it.  Think the difference between a natural sponge that is dry compared to one that is wet.  Most dug clay shrinks at least 10%, the majority is closer to 15% and some shrinks almost 20%.  To help control the shrinkage, you may want to add some coarse sand.  It will still shrink, just not as much.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #117 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 11:18am

That makes sense. My clay around here shrinks alot. It tends to be pretty light as well. Have you tried drying the clay and pounding it to dust then heating it to burn off the organic matter?

Just wondering how they refine it to a better product.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2017 at 5:40pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)