Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Got some clay sling bullets on the way... (Read 33820 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Got some clay sling bullets on the way...
Jul 18th, 2009 at 11:13am

I recently picked up a 3 kilo block of clay from a craft shop in Manchester. Today I have made ten sling bullets, all the same weight, five spherical and five biconical. I made the first one biconical and 5 cm long, which a trawl through the British Museum website shows is a good average size for clay sling bullets. I then mushed it back into a sphere and made all my other projectiles from a ball of clay that size.

I will let these dry out for a few days and take them out for a chuck. I am hoping for a dry weight of around one ounce. I should probably spray them with fluorescent paint as well.

The plan is to look for two specific things: is it possible to see greater range from the biconical projectile, and is it possible to see it self-orienting to fly point first?

I noticed something else while going through the BM, it states that many of the clay sling bullets are described as 'wheel made'. This would be pretty interesting if true, it would be easy to mass-produce shot this way, maybe with a half-bullet shaped cutout wooden tool that you press against the side of a rotating column of clay.

Does anybody know any potters? This could be worth a bit of experimental research....

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research.aspx

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: Got some clay sling bullets on the way...
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 11:59am

Not a bad idea,the throwing wheel.My neighbor has two electric wheels and all the clay I could want.I'm out to my shop to make a jig.

Brett

P.S. Another neighbor has the kiln Wink

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 12:00pm

Also it may be tough with a tiny blob of clay.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 12:06pm

I was thinking you could start with a big blob of clay on the wheel and you pinch up a bit at the top and press the tool to the side of it until it goes wobbly and falls off into your hand. I bet you could crank em out pretty quickly like that.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 12:08pm

....or maybe a two-sided jig,using both hands.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 6:56pm

i think the biconical ammo will fly point first, because on some egg shaped rocks my ammo always hit the fence the thin part first, after 3 hits with the same dent i can guess that they are all like that

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 6:30am

If I reckon I have point-first projectiles then I will try to catch them on high speed camera like this guy does with the bow and atlatl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B8kooDUlxs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia1X4lh7bJU

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 6:16pm

Any way to make them dimpled, David?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 6:55pm

Rat Man wrote on Jul 19th, 2009 at 6:16pm:
Any way to make them dimpled, David?

Easily, although it would be time consuming. This might be another interesting experiment, to compare spherical with  spherical + dimples.

After 24 hours indoors, not in the sunshine and breeze, they were almost rock hard. A fingernail would scratch them, a hard squeeze could make a slight dent. I reckon on a sunny day, 24 hours would be plenty of time to get chuckable ammo.

I'll check them tomorrow and probably have a few test throws.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 7:34pm

How would the weight of a golf-ball-sized sphere of this clay, when dried, compare to the weight of an actual golf ball, David?

I'm interested in the idea of getting some of this clay, but given that I bought 600+ golf balls for only $40, the clay would be challenged to be more economical.  But I would like something golf-ball-sized and heavier, so if the clay is heavier, I would look into spending some money on it.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 8:36pm

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Jul 19th, 2009 at 7:34pm:
How would the weight of a golf-ball-sized sphere of this clay, when dried, compare to the weight of an actual golf ball, David?

I'm interested in the idea of getting some of this clay, but given that I bought 600+ golf balls for only $40, the clay would be challenged to be more economical.  But I would like something golf-ball-sized and heavier, so if the clay is heavier, I would look into spending some money on it.

Assuming clay to have a density approx. the same as concrete, ie. around 2.5 with a volume of 40 ml. would make it 100 grams, or around 3.6 oz. (Perhaps a bit more, that estimate of density may be a bit low.)

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 8:47pm

Its a lot denser than golf balls. It would be easy to make heavier projectiles within that size range. My clay spheres are 1" across and weight about the same as my 1.5" golf ball.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #12 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 10:29pm

Cool.  So the next question is, what specific kind of clay do I have to ask for?  Do I get it at an art supply store?

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 12:38am

* Clay. A group of hydrous aluminium phyllosilicate minerals. Often also used to refer to the clay body, which sometimes may only contain small amounts of clay minerals. (W)

* Clay body. The material used to form the body of a piece of pottery. Thus a potter might order such an amount of earthenware body, stoneware body or porcelain body from a supplier of ceramic materials.

That is what wiki says,I think it is standard at supply stores specific to this hobby.

Brett

http://www.thecraftgallery.net/

http://www.claytimes.com/classes.html

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #14 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 1:58am

I am beginning to see why others are having a problem with you, Jax.  Huh
On the face of it, your post seems to be pedantic, condescending, and not offered as an attempt at genuinely helping.  Forgive me if I've misread that.

I guess I must, now, be a bit more specific when I ask questions, in that the person of whom I thought it was obvious I was asking my questions before is not the person from whom I got an... "answer."

David, is there anything specific you can tell me about the kind of clay, perhaps a brand name, that you bought for making glandes?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy)