Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rockman sling tutorial (Read 9860 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Rockman sling tutorial
Reply #15 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 4:08pm

Hi and welcome Dataryder;
   I can tell you for sure that my first few Rockmans looked no where near that good.  I was just overjoyed to be able to actually complete a sling from a tutorial that I didn't care.  Today I just completed my masterpiece, a Rockman/Cobra hybrid.  To me at least it's the best sling I've made so far.  Unfortunately, my crappy dollar store batteries died after one use so I have no camera probably until tomorrow.  I'll post it in Pictures of Slings and Slinging then.

IP Logged

Dataryder
Tiro

...slingin' in the rain,
just slingin' in the
rain

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 5:50pm

Gullinbursti wrote on Oct 17th, 2009 at 3:13pm:
[...]
The only thing I'm curious about is what to do with those annoying extra strands if you decide to taper the release cord. I use the same method that you use (knotting them off), but I'm wondering if anybody has a better technique to hide them; I'm mostly interested in aesthetics rather than function.

Thanks for the kind words, Gullinbursti.

As for the extra strands, I actually like the way they look. If you look at the Rockman Tutorial the picture that's 4th from the bottom looks really good with the extra stands. Mine, being of such rough material, didn't keep their shape nearly as well.

However, if you want to be rid of them I wonder if you can't just incorporate them into the weave? Or as my wife suggests what's done in knitting - thread the strand onto a darning needle and use the needle to push and hide the dropped strand up through the wider section.

- Dataryder in Toronto

As the circus continues more crazy than cruel, he spins like a top on the end of his tool.&&&&&&At this point all I can tell you is; what we do know is far less than what we don't know.

IP Logged

Gullinbursti

Slinging Rocks!

Providence, Rhode Island - USA
Reply #17 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 6:15pm

I've tried incorporating them into the weave, but due to the level of abuse I dish out upon my slings, they inevitably start to work their way loose.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 6:19pm

Gullinbursti, if you are using a round braid, just cut the strands so that about a half inch or so is sticking out and then braid around them so the cut strands are in the middle of the cord. That's actually what a 4 strand round braid is for - braiding (plaiting) around a core.

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Dataryder
Tiro

...slingin' in the rain,
just slingin' in the
rain

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #19 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 3:24am

Rat Man wrote on Oct 17th, 2009 at 4:08pm:
[...]Today I just completed my masterpiece, a Rockman/Cobra hybrid.  To me at least it's the best sling I've made so far.  Unfortunately, my crappy dollar store batteries died after one use so I have no camera probably until tomorrow.  I'll post it in Pictures of Slings and Slinging then.  

Hi Rat Man,

Now you've got me curious. I've loved what I've seen of yours in some of the archived posts I've been browsing through. Rockman/Cobra hybrid...... I'm looking forward to your next post with pictures.

Dataryder in Toronto

As the circus continues more crazy than cruel, he spins like a top on the end of his tool.&&&&&&At this point all I can tell you is; what we do know is far less than what we don't know.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 2:32am

Thanks.  I like to experiment a lot.  I almost never make the same type of sling exactly the same way twice. The Cobra/Rockman pictures (which could be of better quality, sorry) are posted in Pictures of Slings and Slinging now.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy)