Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Medieval Finnish Slings (Read 24994 times)
winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Medieval Finnish Slings
Reply #30 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 6:52pm

Well that's what I get for posting quickly at work, without reading the whole post..........
I saw the pic, assumed it was from Hedeby.

Ok assuming that it is extremly similar to the Hedeby sling in size......
My Hedeby replica has a three strand braided release and retention ends. Works fairly well with a large range of rocks. As well as some limited glandes casts I have done. Most of the air resistance I experienced was due to the design of the cords, but I do a lot of work with Balearic style slings so it's something i don't normally feel any more, Unless I work with one of my other historic slings.

Marc Adkins

funda_iucunda wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 10:25am:
Hi Winkleried,

these pictures show the Schleswig findings. There has been found a number of quite similar pouches in Haithabu/Hedeby. Unfortunately I have no foto of them, just only sketches somewhere.

What was your experience with your replica? What is your explanation to the missing cords?

funda iucunda

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #31 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 6:54pm

That was part of my confusion earlier as well.

Marc Adkins

slingbadger wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:57pm:
BTW, Funda, anyway of getting some sizes on the pouches? They are almost exactly like the Haithabu ones, and I'm willing to bet that the size is the same also.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reply #32 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 11:42pm

funda_iucunda wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 10:20am:
My conclusion from that is that they probably were made from a different material that wasn't preserved under conditions that were suited to preserve leather. As far as I know (I'm an amateur) that in swamps or mudd leather can be well preserved but organic materials not. So this might be a reason to assume that the cords of all these leather pouch slings had been made from organic material, in the area of Haithabu/Schleswig most likely from flax/linen.

That could be right, although generally what preserves artifacts in wet mud is the lack of oxygen. For materials to break down two things must be present, oxygen and water, so the viking ships discovered near Oslo for instance did not deteriorate because they were in clay and oxygen wasn't present, and with those were found all sorts of items including fabrics. On the other hand it could be some kind of acid in the soil there that is preserving the leather. But a possibility is that the slings were exposed long enough for the strings, which presumably would have deteriorated faster than the vegetable tanned leather (being tanned with vegetable acids, its much more stable than other forms of leather) to rot off before the leather pouch was buried in the mud.

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #33 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 8:43am

Well, I have no exact information for each sling. But the text says that the length of the shown slings is between 16 and 22,5 cm and the width between 5 and 12,5 cm. I think the best to do is to measure the length of the longest sling on the photo and assume this one is the one being in reality 22,5 cm long. All other measures on the depicted pouches could be calculated in relation to that. I didn't manage to calculate this on my own so far.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #34 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 8:43am

By the way, what does BTW mean?

funda

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #35 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 5:43am

It's short for by the way.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #36 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 3:07pm

By my pitiful calculations ( badgers aren't good in the math department.) 22.5 cm translates to a little over 9 inches  long? One very big sling pouch. Again, maybe a slingstaff instead??

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #37 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 10:59pm

Well we all know that badgers can't really type that well cause the claws get in the way. It's pretty much the same for counting, Well your "Swiss" buddy broke out his conversions Smiley

22.5 Cm=8.85 inches
16 cm = 6.29 inches
5 cm = 1.96 inches
12.5 cm = 4.92 Inches

Yeah the 22.5 cm pouch is probably for a staff-sling. But then again I belive this area had a reputation for staff-slingers. I think I remember I read a thread on this forum about the Finns using staff-slings to toss gernades during WWII ( But I could be mistaken

Marc Adkins

slingbadger wrote on Jul 20th, 2009 at 3:07pm:
By my pitiful calculations ( badgers aren't good in the math department.) 22.5 cm translates to a little over 9 inches  long? One very big sling pouch. Again, maybe a slingstaff instead??

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #38 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 11:05pm

I sent a request to an old friend who is an assistant Libarian, Her is there response to the two Finnish Works

Found the ISBN number for the first book.  It is 951-9129-57-x

The website I found it on is org.utu.fi/muut/skas/index.php?s=en_amaf

Have not found a pdf for it on the web yet.  Will start on the second one tomorrow.

The second one is also on the same website with the ISBN # of 951-96801-4-4.

Also did not find a pdf of this one yet either.

Will see about those tomorrow.  Can not promise them though

So no Pdfs as of yet. The second text is in Swedish and Finnish with English summaries Sad

Marc Adkins
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2009 at 11:28pm by winkleried »  

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #39 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 11:33pm

Curently working on a prototype Schleswig sling. Using a 8 strand round braid out of Sisal. I will let the forum know how it handles when I get it all put togather and send some rocks downrange with it. It'll make a good comparison with my replica Hedeby sling. If it works out well I may braid a second set of cords out of hemp and add it to my medieval slinging display.

Marc Adkins

funda_iucunda wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 7:07am:
Here comes a picture of medieval slings from Schleswig. Schleswig is a town in the north of Germany and somehow the successor of the viking town Haithabu which is located two or three kilometeras south of Schleswig. Both are located at the fjord "Schlei" which had been a often frequented shipping way in former times. The sling had been found in the ground of the medieval harbour place and they are dated from 11 to 12th century.

funda iucunda

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Mangrove
Tiro

Finland
Reply #40 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 6:44pm

winkleried wrote on Jul 21st, 2009 at 11:05pm:
So no Pdfs as of yet. The second text is in Swedish and Finnish with English summaries Sad

I'm pretty sure there isn't any. I would love to translate the whole text to English but I can do nothing without the permission from the authors. By the way, here's their email's.

[1st and 2nd article] Janne Harjula: janhar[at]utu.fi
[1st] Sanna Jokela: sanna.jokela[at]utu.fi

I reject your reality and substitute my own&&   - Adam Savage

IP Logged

Mangrove
Tiro

Finland
Reply #41 - Dec 25th, 2009 at 11:51am

winkleried wrote on Jul 21st, 2009 at 10:59pm:
I think I remember I read a thread on this forum about the Finns using staff-slings to toss gernades during WWII ( But I could be mistaken

Sounds like a myth which leads to this Wikipedia entry; though I have seen a photo of a "frontmade" slingshot-type device.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail

"This Finnish use of the hand- or sling-thrown explosive against Soviet tanks was repeated in the subsequent Continuation War".

I reject your reality and substitute my own&&   - Adam Savage

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #42 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 8:56pm

I wrote an email to the author of that article (Lecturer at the University of Turku; Janne Harjula). I don't translate this, but you can put it on Google Translate:

Luin mielenkiintoisen vanhan artikkelisi ”Leluja vai aseita” Åbo Akademin tontilta löydetyistä linkonahoista.
Näin pitkäaikaisena linkoharrastajana voisin noista heittää maallikkoarvion:
ja oletan, että ulkonäkönsä puolesta ne ovat teinipoikien kyhäelmiä. Vaikka aika on kaltoinkohdellutkin niitä, niiden leikkaukset erottuvat, ja ovat niin karmeaa jälkeä, että teinipojat ovat varteenotettavin mahdollisuus. Myös nahkojen uusiokäyttö viittaa tähän. Nuo ovat yksi yhteen omien teinivuosien kaveripiirin kyhäelmien kanssa. (Nykyäänkin teen lähes tuollaisia, mutta syy on se, etten jaksa panostaa ulkonäköön. Toiminnallisuus on ainoa linko-kriteerini)
Eli Mätäjärven korttelin poikiin on aina välillä iskenyt linkovillitys, ja nämä ovat sitä perua. Sama kaava samanlaisilla lingoilla toistui esim. kloppiaikoinani 70-luvulla. Ja joka myös toistui meidän isiemme kloppiaikoina sotavuosina, jne jne.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)