Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Medieval Finnish Slings (Read 24995 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Medieval Finnish Slings
Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 5:10am

by fresh hide, logically, they just mean leather that wasn't first made into shoes.

good variety of designs, and yeah that central one in the first pic does look like an aussie Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 12:47pm

Where were these slings from? Some castle?

IP Logged

Mangrove
Tiro

Finland
Reply #17 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 2:13pm

Et Cetera wrote on Jul 4th, 2009 at 12:47pm:
Where were these slings from? Some castle?

As I said in my initial message six slings were from Åbo Akademi site and one from bailey of Turku Castle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85bo_Akademi_University
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turku_Castle

I reject your reality and substitute my own&&   - Adam Savage

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #18 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 5:15pm

the_warrior_yeti wrote on Jul 2nd, 2009 at 4:01pm:
I think by fresh hide they're probably meaning raw hide, which will dry out and become very hard or stiff.

Ok, thanks, I was on the wrong track then with the blood-wet cowhide   Smiley.

Btw, one of my favourite slings at the moment has a pouch made out of two leather straps from an old sandal. If I got into a close-quarter fight with it, I could still use it as a biochemical weapon.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reply #19 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 4:17pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 4th, 2009 at 5:10am:
by fresh hide, logically, they just mean leather that wasn't first made into shoes.

You're probably right aardvark. That would be the more logical explanation. Rawhide dries hard as a rock so the pouch would have not flex to it at all, unless you really worked it to get it that way, but in that time, in my experience, the cord would probably tear those holes right out. It would be much more sensible and make a longer lasting pouch to just use leather scraps from making shoes or clothing, which if you've ever worked with leather on a large scale, you know you will have plenty of scrapes.

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #20 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 7:07am

Here comes a picture of medieval slings from Schleswig. Schleswig is a town in the north of Germany and somehow the successor of the viking town Haithabu which is located two or three kilometeras south of Schleswig. Both are located at the fjord "Schlei" which had been a often frequented shipping way in former times. The sling had been found in the ground of the medieval harbour place and they are dated from 11 to 12th century.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #21 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:02am

Lots of longitudinal cuts. I can see that working well....

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #22 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:27am

Good find!

The one in the upper right corner looks almost like a Capt. Paul to me. Or like the Aitsikko Comanche stonethrower OldXplorer uses in  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaIT9HcnVqg

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #23 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 10:17am

Sweet I've been looking for a picture of the Hedeby find. All I have found so far has been replicas.

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #24 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 10:18am

Based on the replica that I built several months ago it works really well. I used a sketch of the artifact.

Marc Adkins

David Morningstar wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:02am:
Lots of longitudinal cuts. I can see that working well....

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #25 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 10:20am

Sorry for the lack of picture quality. It wasn't allowed to use a flashlight. The both left pouches are cut, the right one has a hole in the centre. The best work and the most interesting piece - I think - is the second left pouch. The cuts are 8 on one side and nine on the other. They are going along side in the middle. The effect of this is a certain widening of the centre of the pouch which allows to keep more or bigger stones in it.
What is a little bit confusing is that this pouch shows only one hole for one of the cords. I had a very careful look to the original and it seems to me that there was never a hole on the other end. Furthermoe on the other end no leather (and no hole in it) seems to be missing. May be that this sling was not yet finished when it came down to the ground of the harbour.

A general remark to archeological leather pouches: Except the Gdansk sling presented by winkleried I didn't see any cord belonging to the found pouches. My conclusion from that is that they probably were made from a different material that wasn't preserved under conditions that were suited to preserve leather. As far as I know (I'm an amateur) that in swamps or mudd leather can be well preserved but organic materials not. So this might be a reason to assume that the cords of all these leather pouch slings had been made from organic material, in the area of Haithabu/Schleswig most likely from flax/linen.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #26 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 10:25am

Hi Winkleried,

these pictures show the Schleswig findings. There has been found a number of quite similar pouches in Haithabu/Hedeby. Unfortunately I have no foto of them, just only sketches somewhere.

What was your experience with your replica? What is your explanation to the missing cords?

funda iucunda

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #27 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 10:30am

The original Gdansk artifact didn't have the cord either( based on the original drawing). Only one I know of that could possibly have one is the Randers artifact.

I agree with ya on no cords being found. So when I build my replica slings for reenactment purposes, I use a variety of cords to give an idea. Not completely sold on the plant fiber theory, but i have heard it in other places.....

Marc Adkins

funda_iucunda wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 10:20am:
Sorry for the lack of picture quality. It wasn't allowed to use a flashlight. The both left pouches are cut, the right one has a hole in the centre. The best work and the most interesting piece - I think - is the second left pouch. The cuts are 8 on one side and nine on the other. They are going along side in the middle. The effect of this is a certain widening of the centre of the pouch which allows to keep more or bigger stones in it.
What is a little bit confusing is that this pouch shows only one hole for one of the cords. I had a very careful look to the original and it seems to me that there was never a hole on the other end. Furthermoe on the other end no leather (and no hole in it) seems to be missing. May be that this sling was not yet finished when it came down to the ground of the harbour.

A general remark to archeological leather pouches: Except the Gdansk sling presented by winkleried I didn't see any cord belonging to the found pouches. My conclusion from that is that they probably were made from a different material that wasn't preserved under conditions that were suited to preserve leather. As far as I know (I'm an amateur) that in swamps or mudd leather can be well preserved but organic materials not. So this might be a reason to assume that the cords of all these leather pouch slings had been made from organic material, in the area of Haithabu/Schleswig most likely from flax/linen.

funda iucunda

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #28 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 11:33am

Most of the slings I   have used are Hedeby based. They work wonderful. The larger stones fill the pouch, and the slits expand out. I also think the slits cut down on the air resistance when the sling is in use.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #29 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:57pm

BTW, Funda, anyway of getting some sizes on the pouches? They are almost exactly like the Haithabu ones, and I'm willing to bet that the size is the same also.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)