Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Arrow throwing/FYI (Read 9326 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Arrow throwing/FYI
Reply #15 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 8:29pm

Practice.  And upper body strength.  Pitmen were miners in open coal or iron mines.  They used shovels, picks and sledgehammers.  Then they pushed loaded ore carts up to the top of the mine.  For about 12 hours a day.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 11:18am

I've run across these called "swiss arrows" and the viking sagas make reference to snærisspjót (spear with throwing string). But with respect to the vikings, it's basically conjecture.

I keep meaning to throw one together and try it out.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #17 - Jan 14th, 2016 at 9:22am

i tried it but with different "arrows". i used 1-2m long canes(not so good too light) and 60-80cm and 8mm diameter sticks .the sticks went further max was 40m and then it stuck on a tree, so without  the tree it would travel maybe 60-70m.

It's a lot of technique demanding and it needs balanced projectiles as it says in the article/book. Very nice to play around.

IP Logged

manu3259
Tiro

memento finis

France
Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 3:42pm

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5S8-jiLfo0fgEvv9ACcnSdD3bG9Z1BS6w3RaovBdcsLD8T...
I tried too last summer, with hazel sticks ~1 meter long. In french this is 'flèche polynésienne", polynésian arrow in english.
It's fun to throw, one stick broke on the dry ground. 50 meters was the maximum it flyied.
It must have been a nice spectacle seeing people throw arrows or javelin 300 yards,of course their arrows must have been heavier and their technique and strenght far better than mines.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #19 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 4:05am

in the reference it says 1/2 oz around 15 grams arrows, so it doesnt really need power just a good technique.
you dont need the fletchings
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2019 at 9:25am by johan »  

IP Logged

manu3259
Tiro

memento finis

France
Reply #20 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 2:30pm

A wooden rod is weaker as a natural branch so it may break. But it may fly better because its perfect straight. Try to find a football field, in lenght its long enough; Wink

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #21 - May 9th, 2016 at 12:53pm

tried it.
i couldn't make it go more than 15m with the cord. Angry
the reasons for this might be :
  • i dont have the right technique
  • it was windy
  • the mass distribution of the arrow is not
    homogeneous/uniform, as mentioned in the source Quote:
    Though I have tried all kinds of seasoned wood, light and heavy, I find no material equals dry hazel for these arrows. A really good-flying arrow is not easy to make and a dozen may be constructed without a successful one amongst them.
    The difficulty is to shape the hazel rod so that the pith inside it is longitudinally correct as regards its being in the exact centre of the finished arrow. If this is not the case the flight of the arrow will be irregular and its range a short one.

gonna try again in the future

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - May 10th, 2016 at 3:11pm

I have a Swiss arrow about 4 feet long and it has fletchings. Its super basic but powerful and more accurate than a sling. I was getting about 60-80 metres when I tried it a couple years ago. I'll post a picture when I'm home

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)