Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Arrow throwing/FYI (Read 9325 times)
Typhon

Blue Mountains.NSW. Australia.
Arrow throwing/FYI
Jun 27th, 2009 at 7:39am

g'day all. I was looking through my copy of Crossbows By Payne-Galway and saw a chapter on arrow throwing. Apparently a popular sport in some areas on England around the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries.
The Arrow in question is a tapered Hazel twig 31 inches long, no fletches, just a long smooth taper the length of the shaft. A length of string with a not in the end is looped around the shaft about 16 or so inches back. Not tied on, just looped around and held by tension. The trick is to put the knot kext to the shaft, bring the long end around the shaft and over the string behind the knot, apply tension to keep it tight grip the head of the shaft between finger and thumb and throw over hand. The string lengthens the arm a bit like a Woomera. Apparently ranges of 250+ are possible. No military/hunting application, just sport to see who can throw the farthest. Typhon

Never point a loaded sling at something you don't intend to shoot.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Arrow throwing/FYI
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 9:19am

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 9:44am

we used to use spear siazed branches with flights - but same principle. Apparently it's called a french arrow.
I suspect this may be a sarcastic reference to the fact that frenchies weren't up to pulling an english longbow and had to throw their arrows by hand - rather than a statement of their origin Smiley

And you cut a shallow groove round the branch for the string to rest in. There's at least one fairly comprehensive thread on these things on the forum (isn't there always lol)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 1:19pm

Seems to me i saw a book once with another type of arrow throwing dating from the middle ages. basically, there were 2 small "nubs" about halfway up the shaft.  the launcher was a small rod with a double hook at the end that fit on the nubs. you used it like an atlatl. i will see if i can track it down.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 2:42pm

As Aardvark says, the same technique is used to throw spears in some cultures.   It's the same essential principal an atlatl uses; increasing the leverage applied by the arm.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 6:16pm

Found it. it's in The Lore of Arms, by William Reid. It appeared in the sketchbooks of Da Vinci.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Typhon

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 2:18am

D Morningstar. Yes that's the reference. Thought it may be of interest. Typhon.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 5:38am

Its also in the American Boy's Handy Book, by Daniel Carter Beard, published in the early 1900's  That is the original dangerous book for boys. It's a wonder any of them survived the stuff in there.

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 7:47pm

When I was a boy in the early 1950's we made whip darts similar to this
from this site
http://www.primitiveways.com/shingle_dart.html

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

Typhon

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 5:08am

Asemery. How well did they work? I've seen the style before in a Comic. One of the original Elfquest (first 20) series by the Pini's (Authors name. Husband and Wife team) but Ive never been able to get it to work, Either the arrow did not release and swung around on the launch string or I seriously endangered my foot. Typhon

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 8:00pm

Typhon, It's been over 50 years since I used this device.  We kids never told out parents about it (You'll put your eye out).  We were thrilled if we hit anything with it.  I don't know if it would seen as great today.  Tony

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 9:09pm

a lot of cultures around the world have used that technique to throw spears and javelins. the greeks, for one. some just use a leather strap wrapped around the wrist, others used what is generally refered to as a 'baton de commandment'. basically, a short handle with a cord attached. it's not just the added leaverage, but the spin that's imparted that sends the missle much farther and much more accurately down range. i've been able to launch a fairly heavy spear 40yds with a good deal of precision with one.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 5:28am

I have thrown a spear with a baton and cord: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/reply/195789

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #13 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 11:56am

nice, david. i think you need a heavier spear, though. and i wrap the cord around the shaft a few times to impart spin. what i've found happens is the cord pulls down the rear end of the spear and gives it a flatter trajectory. also, i'd shorten your baton to no more than 8".

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #14 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 8:15am

what is this thing ?
from the descriptions and the reference Quote:
,I understand it is some kind of amentum/ankyle thing? But it can fly over 200m?!?!? Shocked
how's that possible?
please explain

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus)