Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Seatbelt  Slings - Tutorial (Read 93290 times)
Neander97
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Aussie's New Slings - Tutorial
Reply #30 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 12:51pm

I like that.  It’s simple and elegant.

Sometimes we make things far more complicated than need be.  This is an excellent example of how not to do that.

Thanks for sharing this.

= = = = =  &&"Time, a maniac scattering dust, &&And Life, a Fury slinging flame."&&--Alfred, Lord Tennyson&&  &&== = = =

IP Logged

B.cereus
Descens

de la tierra al cielo

Florida
Reply #31 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 1:40pm

Thanks for spreading the knowledge.  Smiley

“So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him…….”1 Samuel 17:50-KJV
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #32 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 5:15pm

hey, wait a second, i remember a how to exactly like this one except with duct tape

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #33 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 8:32pm

Once, in London about 1972, I had an old suitcase latch break, and I bought a strap that seemed to be exactly like this seatbelt material.  Maybe such strapping is still available today?

Aussie, you da man.  The only complaint I have is that I was only just now having a renewed love affair with your Aussie-original - of postal service conveyer belting!  It can't be beat for tennis balls.  Whatever am I to do now!?!
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2009 at 10:15pm by 4accord »  

Cords, pouch, stone, and time -&&Today, just as yesterday,&&Ages stand as one.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #34 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 9:00pm

Sorry to interfere in your love life. Grin Always best to love the one you're with I think.

Please don't buy new seat belts. The idea is to use readily available, reclaimed material. I don't claim or even think that the seatbelt sling is intrinsically superior to leather or any other material, it's just available whereas leather can often be hard to find. However you can't just punch a couple of holes seat belting and fit cords like you can with leather because it frays very badly. The M fold gets around this problem.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #35 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 9:19pm

Today I got a strap about as wide as a seat belt. I think it was for some sort of binder or briefcase but I'm going to try make a sling out of it.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #36 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 7:29pm

Yep, as I said before, this technique works with many different types of belting material. Seat belt, back pack straps, load tie-down straps, etc. Probably work ok with burlap carpet edging as well. As PJ said before it works with denim, but I wouldn't trust denim for anything other than tennis balls unless you've got several thicknesses of it.

Stick with seat belts, available for the asking, work well and will last for ages unless you throw very abrasive stones. One seat belt will make at least half a dozen pouche seven if you have to discard some damaged or excessively dirty sections.

Use good quality cords, take a bit of care with the bindings and seal with superglue (important) and the resulting sling looks good and works well.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #37 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:42pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 7:29pm:
Use good quality cords, take a bit of care with the bindings and seal with superglue (important) and the resulting sling looks good and works well.

Granted, I haven't yet made one with actual seatbelt webbing, but I would go so far as to say that this kind of sling, done with paracord or something similar, could well be destined to become a "classic" kind of sling.  Extremely simple, extremely affordable, extremely durable, extremely versatile.  It has so much going for it!  Smiley

I can't wait to make one!  Gotta get out tomorrow and start hunting down seatbelts.  I'm going to try a junkyard, and also try auto collision repair shops.  I think they sometimes have wrecked cars on their lots that are waiting to be taken away and trashed.  They may not care at all about letting seatbelts be taken out, or even if they do they may want just a nominal amount of money for them.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #38 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 12:00am

Aussie, you should be proud that people are actually wanting to go out and buy materials to make your sling!  Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #39 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 12:56am

Et Cetera wrote on Jun 12th, 2009 at 12:00am:
Aussie, you should be proud that people are actually wanting to go out and buy materials to make your sling!  Smiley

I don't know if pride enters into it as such. I hate wasting money and it always gives me a buzz knowing I got something good for free. You have to buy cord because there is no ready supply of recycled stuff (as far as I know) and cord is cheap anyway. But seat belts - any amount available - just ask, and rear seat belts usually look like brand new anyway.

Slinging is such an inexpensive sport. In terms of bangs for bucks it's got to be right at the top of the heap.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #40 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 3:32pm

I made one, would should I post a picture here or in the "pictures of slings and slinging" section?

IP Logged

ThePup
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Strayla
Reply #41 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 10:33am

Nice, I think I just found the design to use for my first sling, I'm sure there's a suitable piece of webbing floating around work somewhere that'll do!  Smiley  Thanks Aussie!

IP Logged

Neander97
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #42 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 3:48pm

Last night I threw together a sling using Aussie’s (brilliant) suggestion of going with seatbelt webbing.  

I didn’t have any paracord, so I braided up some nylon seine line and wool yarn.  I stitched the thing together using heavy cotton thread and some light monofilament fish line.  I sealed the wrapping with marine-grade varnish.

As soon as I finish some chores, I’ll take a stroll in the woods, sling a rock or two and see how it works.  Maybe I’ll toss a couple of those lead net weights that I mentioned in another thread – there’s two of them in this photo.

= = = = =  &&"Time, a maniac scattering dust, &&And Life, a Fury slinging flame."&&--Alfred, Lord Tennyson&&  &&== = = =

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #43 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 7:14pm

Thanks for posting the picture. The effect looks really attractive, dresses up what can otherwise be somewhat plain in appearance. Is there any specific reason for the stitching along the sides? I also noticed you use the opposite side of the fold; I use the base of the M as the outside surface of the pouch. I don't think it will make any significant difference though.

PS Those barrel shaped sinkers should be perfect in that lightly cupped pouch.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #44 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 7:16pm

Et Cetera wrote on Jun 12th, 2009 at 3:32pm:
I made one, would should I post a picture here or in the "pictures of slings and slinging" section?

I think here then all the seatbelt pouches will be together and easier to have a look at.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15)