Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Seatbelt  Slings - Tutorial (Read 93282 times)
scoteeball

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Seatbelt  Slings - Tutorial
Reply #150 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 12:35pm

Aussie, thanks for that. I had actually watched that some time ago but did not take the time to look it up before I started my project. I’ll do that next time when I make some leather “seat belt slings”. Two more questions. Do the ends of the seat belt fray and unravel over time? I seared the cut ends with a flame. The cupped shape I found worked better for golf balls than my usual flat leather pouch. Too bad golf balls don’t weigh a little more. How can I get one of your famous Aussie pouches? They look like the ideal shape for tennis balls. Thanks.

"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #151 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:12am

Like you, I usually lightly flame-seal the cut ends of the seatbelt and have had no problems with fraying.

For golf balls I suggest making a shortened version using a piece of belt a bit less than 6". This folds around a golf ball completely, holding it securely but still opening readily for a good release.

PM me your name and address and I'll send you a Aussiepouch.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

MojaveSlinger
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Southern California
Reply #152 - May 10th, 2012 at 8:37pm

Aussie, Here is another idea, I took your design but I used old innertube I had laying around from my bicycle, it works perfectly. When I was sewing the paracord into mine I actually pushed the needle through the innertube and the paracord and then kept on with your method and to make it even stronger I used a rubber cement style glue I use for the heads of the trout flies I tie around where the thread is on the outside.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #153 - May 10th, 2012 at 8:49pm

Thanks for the info. I've heard of others making pouches from bicycle inner tubes though I haven't tried it myself. It obviously works well and is a good alternative to the seatbelt material which some seem hard to find.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

MojaveSlinger
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Southern California
Reply #154 - May 10th, 2012 at 9:01pm

No problem, I'm probably going to make my first leather pouch for my use, I made a nice leather pouch sling for my U.S History teacher, I didn't have any paracord laying around so I had to braid 3 strands of some rather chincy and thin masons line...darn thing wouldn't stop tangling, so I advised him to replace the strings and I might have advertised the site a bit when I gave it to him. But anyway, innertube is a very viable replacement.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #155 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 6:13am

Does anyone know how those zip ties fare in the long term ?

I considered switching to them since I'm not very skilled at whipping and when I add glue, it gets even uglier ^^

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #156 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 6:30am

Caldou wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 6:13am:

I considered switching to them since I'm not very skilled at whipping and when I add glue, it gets even uglier ^^

I worked as a Cable TV technician for 15 years and we zip tied everything.  Half of our system was held up by zip ties.  They last for years outdoors, under stress.  I haven't used them for sling construction yet but I'd bet the house they hold up as good as anything.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #157 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 8:27am

I've got an apache sling from Dork that utilized zip ties instead of sewing the pouch to the cords and I've used it a fair amount and haven't noticed any wear so I'd say they'll last quite awhile.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #158 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 9:50am

Here is an excellent seatbelt sling made by a new member: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172017416/3537#3537

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #159 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 9:54am

Rat Man wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 6:30am:
Caldou wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 6:13am:

I worked as a Cable TV technician for 15 years and we zip tied everything.  Half of our system was held up by zip ties.  They last for years outdoors, under stress.  I haven't used them for sling construction yet but I'd bet the house they hold up as good as anything.

Zip Ties+ innertube rubber+ Paracord= very, very good, durable sling. I proved it.
The only problem is that the z-ties sometimes slip. Get good quality ones, and it should not be a problem.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)