Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
daivid and goliath sling (Read 30159 times)
Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Re: David's sling
Reply #15 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:16pm

It didn't post the second time, either.

Trebuchet
Cheesy

sv wrote on Sep 2nd, 2007 at 5:47am:
oh it didn't post

SV

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

M. Demetrius
Tiro

Central Texas
Reply #16 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 7:27pm

>>Maybe some plant is very common and useful
Linen.  Made from flax stalks.  Practically all clothing in the East Mediterranean not made from wool would have been made from linen.  It's very strong, and would have been available just about anywhere there were people and spinners.  It's likewise mentioned in OT Bible texts.

Saepe veritas est dura
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 8:32am

Braided wolf hair :-)
Makes as much sense as anything but leather ;-)
Not sure wool would make a sufficiently robust sling.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

macka

is it?

Thunder Bay Ontario Canada
Reply #18 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 9:29pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1188133751/0#13 date=1196083952]Braided wolf hair :-)
[/quote]

Well considering they had a variety of plants to make rope with, it could be made from date palms, papyrus and other high fibre plants.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 10:12am

but why go to all that bother when you've got leather ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #20 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 12:59pm

The most likely leather source, sheep, really is not all that strong, when compared with other leather or fibers. Goat hide is a possiblity. I imagine trial and error plays a big part in this.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

macka

is it?

Thunder Bay Ontario Canada
Reply #21 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 5:26pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1188133751/15#15 date=1196176326]but why go to all that bother when you've got leather ? [/quote]

tanning leather requires salt, and salt made it really expensive. So it was cheaper and just as strong to make a good fibre rope sling.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #22 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 7:50pm

I have no way of proving if this actually happened or not......

A friend of mine when stationed in North Africa in the late 70's early 80's told me of a time when one of the locals made a sling out of palmleaves and went hunting with it......

now in my files at home, I have something that states palm leaves are used to make slings in that area.

Marc Adkins

[quote author=macka link=1188133751/0#14 date=1196130598][quote author=curious_aardvark link=1188133751/0#13 date=1196083952]Braided wolf hair :-)
[/quote]

Well considering they had a variety of plants to make rope with, it could be made from date palms, papyrus and other high fibre plants.
[/quote]

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 12:10pm

makes sense. So theoretically traditional slings from the middle east should be similiar to a 'david' sling. What are they made of today ?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #24 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 2:37pm

The pictures I've seen show them as woven, looking similar to the old Egyptian Lahun sling.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 3:52pm

id go with wool or plant fibers, more so wool

IP Logged

Mike Habeeb
Descens

A verbis ad verbera

Hanover, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #26 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 5:19pm

I think it might be a bit much to say that slings made in the middle east today would be made out of the same things they were in David's day. I would suspect that those who use slings there would make them out of the same materials any of us would. After all, if slinging is a tradition that they've continued for thousands of years for practical purposes wouldn't it make sense that they'd have constantly been improving on materials and methods of making slings? And if the tradition hasn't been kept up, then modern slingers in the area would be equally at a loss as to how the ancient sling used by David would likely have been made. I think the idea of wool, some sort of leather, or a type of plant fiber are all possible and probable materials, but I don't think we'll ever be able to pin down exactly which one it would be. I am inclined to believe, however, that it would probably be made of the most inexpensive materials available. Even though slings were very important to shepherds, David was the youngest of 8, so valuable resources probably wouldn't be spared for a sling when someone could make one from free plant fiber for the cost of time and effort. Not to mention, David reports to Saul that he had chased down and killed both bears and lions by catching them by the jaw and striking them down to save a single sheep. Anyone who is going to go to that length to recover an individual sheep is likely to be very frugal, and wouldn't mind spending the extra time to make a sling from fiber rather than spend the extra money to make one out of leather or wool a little more quickly.

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.&&&&-Chuck Palahniuk-
midgetkid85  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #27 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 9:29am

[quote]After all, if slinging is a tradition that they've continued for thousands of years for practical purposes wouldn't it make sense that they'd have constantly been improving on materials and methods of making slings?[/quote]

Actually no.
Traditionl weapons are generally traditional because they use what is available in the area. Also sling making is generally handed down the generations. Bear in mind a sling is one of the most primitive weapons there is. They were - to all intents and purposes - perfected as a weapon many thousands of years ago. So there is unlikely to be much technology creep. It's a fairly safe bet that a sling made from natural materials in the middle east today will be almost identical to one made a thousand years ago or two thousand years ago.

IP Logged

Mike Habeeb
Descens

A verbis ad verbera

Hanover, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #28 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 9:54am

I disagree... there are knives traditional to all of our countries, but most people (unless perhaps some that live tribally) now make their knives out of modern materials. The most important tools and weapons will always be updated if newer and better materials become available.

At any rate, back to the question of what David's sling was made from, according to this website (You have to scroll down almost all the way to the bottom) the sling would have been made from what looks like plant fibers, some of them dyed, though I know not what athority they use to substantiate their claim.

http://www.forallbelievers.org/ISRAEL2006_1.html

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.&&&&-Chuck Palahniuk-
midgetkid85  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #29 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 10:51am

Kewl Nice Looking Sling.

Marc Adkins

Mike Habeeb wrote on Mar 5th, 2008 at 9:54am:
I disagree... there are knives traditional to all of our countries, but most people (unless perhaps some that live tribally) now make their knives out of modern materials. The most important tools and weapons will always be updated if newer and better materials become available.

At any rate, back to the question of what David's sling was made from, according to this website (You have to scroll down almost all the way to the bottom) the sling would have been made from what looks like plant fibers, some of them dyed, though I know not what athority they use to substantiate their claim.

http://www.forallbelievers.org/ISRAEL2006_1.html

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)