Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1870 Publication (Read 2506 times)
Neander97
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

1870 Publication
Apr 29th, 2009 at 5:33pm

Don’t if anyone is interested, but I found this in Google Books.  Click on the link and then search the book for “sling” and a few items on slings and sling stones will be listed

Edward T. Stevens, Hon. Curator of the Blackmore Museum.  FLIINT CHIPS. A GUIDE TO PRE-HISTORIC ARCHAEOLOGY AS ILLUSTRATED BY THE COLLECTION IN THE BLACKMORE MUSEUM, SALISBURY (London: Salisbury : Brown And Co., And F. A. Blake, 1870).
http://books.google.com/books?id=HX0IAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA302&dq=sling&ei=RsP4ScDyHoncy...

= = = = =  &&"Time, a maniac scattering dust, &&And Life, a Fury slinging flame."&&--Alfred, Lord Tennyson&&  &&== = = =

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Re: 1870 Publication
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 7:09pm

An interesting resource. Thanks for sharing it.

Has anyone tried one of the stick-sling/ribbon-sling combinations mentioned on pages 303-304?
It sounds like a less-powerful version of a staff-sling.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 11:58pm

Timothy,

I have this book on my hard drive. A ribbon sling is just another name for a hand sling. And I belive Slingbadger has done some work with the Stick sling that this author mentions

The Stick Sling/Ribbon Sling hybrid is nothing more than the standard Staff-sling (Fustbalus) that some of our members use (I'm one of them) and talk about from time to time.

Marc Adkins

Timothy Potter wrote on Apr 29th, 2009 at 7:09pm:
An interesting resource. Thanks for sharing it.

Has anyone tried one of the stick-sling/ribbon-sling combinations mentioned on pages 303-304?
It sounds like a less-powerful version of a staff-sling.

-Timothy Potter

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 10:13pm

winkleried wrote on Apr 29th, 2009 at 11:58pm:
The Stick Sling/Ribbon Sling hybrid is nothing more than the standard Staff-sling (Fustbalus) that some of our members use (I'm one of them) and talk about from time to time.

It sounded to me like the hybrid sling mentioned in the book had the stone held between the pouch and the stick. It would seem to work something like a hammer with a selectively detachable head. The staff slings I have seen look more like a normal hand sling on the end of a stick, with the stone held in the pouch only, not against the stick.

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)