Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
AAAAARRGG! (Read 4945 times)
Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

AAAAARRGG!
Apr 23rd, 2009 at 10:59pm

I think the tutorial for a braided sling needs some editing. Here's my little speel.

I had seen the tutorial for the braided sling, so I decided to make one. I went out and bought some string and sat down to make it. The formula for the amount of string used was 2.8 times sling length I think. I had been earlier informed that the correct way to measure a sling was from the center of the pouch to the release knot. So I measure it and multiply it by three, just to be safe. I start making the sling, and after a while I realize that the amount of string wouldn't do! The tutorial must've meant from end to end for length, so I ended up with a wimpy half length sling. I had made another too, so double the wasted string. I felt cheated! I had just spent $2.45 on a 230 foot spool of twine and wasted about a third! This wouldn't be a big deal if I could go to the store anytime, but I had to beg my dad for a couple of days to bring me to the hardware store, and if I run out before I complete a sling, no braided sling for me. Well, that's my little rant about how the tutorial should specify how the sling is measured, and not make me guess.

It was a little vague and I think it should tell how to measure the sling at the beginning.

PS- If I put this post in the wrong category, please let me know  Smiley

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: AAAAARRGG!
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2009 at 11:19pm

AAAAARRGG! indeed - the usual way to measure is folded .... but it is not the only way.
All tutorials and how to threads require careful reading to see if you can determine which method was used ....

You just learned one of life's harsh lessons about sling braiding .. Angry .. better luck next time.

P.S. Get used to having a lot of cord sacrificed to the oopsie gods  Embarrassed while you learn.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 6:08am

Yes, it will have been only half the length you wanted. I use six times the desired folded sling length when I make a braided sling.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 7:38am

I'm going to try again today, and I'm cutting myself plenty of string. Good thing I didn't start with my roll of jute, because there's a lot less on the roll  Smiley

(odd smiley)

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 12:24pm

Yeah definitely braid with the cheap stuff while learning .... then when confident of ability
move on up the fiber level till you are using the fiber you like.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2009 at 4:23pm by Steven »  

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2009 at 8:51am

Steven wrote on Apr 23rd, 2009 at 11:19pm:
P.S. Get used to having a lot of cord sacrificed to the oopsie gods  Embarrassed while you learn.

Those gods go by other more colourful names at my place (that wouldn´t get through the censor of this site Wink) , but yeah you´re right, good thing most fiber/cordage is relatively  cheap .

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - May 15th, 2009 at 11:11am

My first few attempts were comical.  I wish I'd kept them just for a good laugh, but those that I didn't glue together I took apart to reuse the string.  Of course, if the string is cut too short there's nothing that you can do about it.  You have to expect to screw up your first few... it's just a given.  I know, that's easy for me to say; being an "adult?"  I can just go get the string whenever I want it.  Mistakes are just part of the learning process.  Just keep hammering away and you'll get it.  Btw, I'm still far from perfect but at least I'm not ashamed of my slings anymore. 
   Also, Rockman's tutorial is the best one I've read so far.  I'd still be making string slings only if it wasn't for him.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #7 - May 15th, 2009 at 1:12pm

And I thought I was the only one that shorted himself. I have made a couple of slings I thought for sure had enough material and then all of a sudden I run short. I find it is better to have a couple of feet to much to cut off and throw away, instead of braiding a useles sling that eats up 30 feet of good material.

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #8 - May 15th, 2009 at 3:07pm

My favorite was when I didn't realize that my cord was too short until I compared my release end to my retention end... and realized that the release cord  was three inches shorter.   Not sure how I did that...  I think maybe I made the pouch longer than I should have.  It still works, but I have to wrap the retention cord around my hand.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #9 - May 15th, 2009 at 3:14pm

3.5 times the total lenght seems right. I always use 5 meters just in case.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Pio
Descens

¡A cantazos!

Ciudad Real, Spain
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2009 at 4:35pm

Et Cetera wrote on Apr 23rd, 2009 at 10:59pm:
I think the tutorial for a braided sling needs some editing. Here's my little speel.

I had just spent $2.45 on a 230 foot spool of twine and wasted about a third!

PerFect! I'm sure you'll braid those two slings you can do  now

Desciñéronse las hondas y comenzaron a saludarle los oídos con piedras como el puño. (Miguel de Cervantes, El ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha, I, cap. 18)

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2009 at 5:31pm

Now it's all gone...  Sad

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #12 - May 15th, 2009 at 8:23pm

dork wrote on May 15th, 2009 at 1:12pm:
And I thought I was the only one that shorted himself. I have made a couple of slings I thought for sure had enough material and then all of a sudden I run short. I find it is better to have a couple of feet to much to cut off and throw away, instead of braiding a useles sling that eats up 30 feet of good material.

I did it twice last night with some paracord that I was going to use to make a split pouch woven sling.
Third time was the charm, and then I successfully made three slings.  But maybe someday I'll wise up and start actually measuring and keeping track on paper so I don't have to re-learn how much is required for a given project that I do repeatedly.  Roll Eyes
Mr. Organization I am not.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - May 15th, 2009 at 8:27pm

With the extra, instead of throwing it away, I use it for whippings. I just made me a Rockman style braided sling with a woven pouch. I made it out of jute, and tried to taper the release cord a bit.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #14 - May 16th, 2009 at 10:23pm

i have done the same thing more than once Angry...... but since i shoot 20 to 25" slings its not to hard to make sure i have plenty of material to work with. and the 2' sling is easy to carry in a pocket ( which i do every where  i go) and it will still keep the barbarians at bay from about a block away Wink

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)