Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
braided split pouch difficulties (Read 3127 times)
Galvanicfish

Just not right.

Central Ohio
braided split pouch difficulties
Apr 19th, 2009 at 11:38pm

Tonight I wanted something to do with my hands, and I braided another sling. It ended up a bit shorter than I wanted, due to a design insight about halfway through. The end with the loop was braided from 6 strands of mason twine, then split into two braids of 3 each. After I finished that bit, I tied the strands off, and cut off all but 3 strands and braided those for the release end.  So far, so good, if a little short. My problem came when I went outside to give it a test. I could not get a rock to stay in the pouch for anything.  I came back in to write this up, and covered the split with gorilla tape. If anyone can tell me how you would go about keeping a stone in the split, I'd love to hear it.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana&&&&

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: braided split pouch difficulties
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 12:02am

Without watching you sling it's difficult to say.  There's a lot of things that can go wrong. I know because most of them happen to me every time I twirl my sling.  One of the most important things is to not hold your wrist stiff.  Use a limp wrist and let it sort of follow the sling around.  Changing speeds can make the stone drop out.  So can being overly cautious with it.  Try to find rocks that are the right size for the pouch and that have a nice uniform shape like an oval.  I still have problems with the stone dropping out but sometimes I get it right.  Practice, practice, practice.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 1:14pm

Galvanicfish wrote on Apr 19th, 2009 at 11:38pm:
then split into two braids of 3 each.

Instead of braiding your pouch, extend the surface of your straps by weaving.

CAM_0150.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

castanon93
Descens

IN BELLU PRIMUM

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 6:25pm

i agree with rockman, search his split pouch tutorial, that sling can hold anything

If there is any Evil in this world, it lurks on the hearts of Mankind-
castanon93  
IP Logged

Galvanicfish

Just not right.

Central Ohio
Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 7:47pm

Hmm, that weave looks simple enough. One good thing about working with the mason's twine is that I can melt a piece and stick it to another with a fairly strong bond. I shall try that when next I make another one.  IT seems a bit less labor intensive than my first one that I stitched a piece of denim over the split.

IP Logged

melliphile

What drags you out throws
you in.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:14pm

I've braided/woven several Rockman sling variations.   Most of them hold rocks great, but I have one that I used a tighter weave on that doesn't seem to get a good  "bite" on the stone.  I haven't really gotten a good throw off with that one yet.  I've added some strings to the pouch on one so that the pouch sides are woven thru 4 onstead of 3.  Either way, good excuse to make a new one.

Anything that is of value in life only multiplies when it is given.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 1:32pm

melliphile, I braided a big sling out of cotton that was as hard as a rock.  It actually hurt to use the sling.  Try running your problem child through the washer and dryer.  That'll loosten it up.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 7:52pm

I'm sure this is made clear in Rockman's tutorials, but I have two questions:

-- should I nail the strands down in a diamond shape, or something, to give the pouch the shape I want to weave it into ?

-- I wove a short sling for my wife (she liked one I wove out of kitchen twine-- don't laugh)-- I used six strands, first producing finger loop with 2-2-2, then doubling up the strands and weaving 4-4-4, then splitting to make a split pouch with 2 halfs (2-2-2 each), then rejoining to weave the other cord-- pretty classic, I suppose. She doesn't like the split pouch much. Is it too late to weave something to make the split pouch into a full pouch ?

Thanks for any advice !

IP Logged

Galvanicfish

Just not right.

Central Ohio
Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 11:26pm

Quote:
She doesn't like the split pouch much. Is it too late to weave something to make the split pouch into a full pouch ?

If there's enough room in the split and one of you is handy with a needle and thread, try sewing a piece of denim or other stout cloth over the split. I did that with my first attempt at a split pouch and it's held up quite well.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 11:10am

In the "guides and articles" there is an interesting make-your-split-pouch-solid" article named"Braiding a solid pouch" by Nick Martin.  It looks like a good answer to your question.
timann

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy)