Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
How to employ bodies of slingers in battle (Read 35567 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: How to employ bodies of slingers in battle
Reply #60 - Feb 12th, 2012 at 3:42pm

I have slung in a rank with a guy two paces to each side of me. Using a vertical Greek style and picking ammo from the ground at my feet I was fast, 8 shots in 30 seconds, and I didnt whip the guys on either side.

If  you were stuck with a horizontal style then more space would be needed. A Cantabrian circle type of arrangement with three or four guys using one slinging spot and then falling back to reload would make the best use of a limited width of front. I would be concerned about rate of fire though, if your guys spend too much time queueing up then you are losing the target saturation that distance slinging relies upon for its effectiveness.

On a related note I reckon the staff sling would work best as a crew served weapon, with one guy throwing and another guy behind him taking care of the reloading. I think you would get a better rate of fire that way than with two staff slingers shooting independently.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #61 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 6:32am

Thearos wrote on Feb 12th, 2012 at 3:25pm:
Is there any reliable ancient evidence for this ?

This was the conclusion of the late great Manfred Korfmann

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #62 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 3:46pm

And what was he referring to ?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #63 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 7:13pm

In his article for Scientific American, October, 1973, The sling as a Weapon

He was talking about the different ways the ancients used the sling in battle. In referenece to the Roman slingers, everything about them was standardized, like the rest of the Roman army. All the slings were the same length, they all fired the same time and the same way. They had their own military designations and could chhose their leader from within their group.
  In the Civil Wars of Caesar, a group of slingers is referenced as the Fundutorum Cohortis Sexcenarias II.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #64 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 11:16am

I read that article, like everyone (alas, no longer online, and difficult to consult) and I don't think he says that about the Roman slingers. If he did, that's incorrect. Much in the Roman army was in fact not standardized, notably as concerns body armour (obviously within certain parameters). The stuff on same length sling, choosing their own leader,etc is (I believe) fancifu. You may have misremembered a little ?

And the reference to Caesar doesn't seem right to me.  There is no evidence for formalized units of slingers in the Roman army during the empire. Caesar did employ ad hoc bodies of Baleares, in Gaul, and, you may well be right, during the Civil war.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #65 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 3:17pm

This is supposed to be a friendly forum, for exchcange of ideas. You have the right to agree or disagree with anything you want. However, If you want to argue about things, then count me out of it. No good can come of it.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #66 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 4:31pm

I don't see anything unfriendly about Thearos's post.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #67 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 6:03pm

It's not a bad thing to get things as correct as possible on this forum.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #68 - Feb 15th, 2012 at 10:06am

OK, all I'm saying, is that when I wrote what I did, I had the article right in my hand. I took the info directly from the source. If people wish to disagree with it, fine. I respect that. Let's leave it at that, and move on.  There are more important things in the world.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #69 - Feb 15th, 2012 at 2:31pm

Could you quote the exact passage, with references ? I reiterate what I wrote: it doesn't sound right. If Korfman wrote it, he was wrong, and I could try to show it by discussing ancient passages. (It's what I do for a living). If I'm wrong, that will be shown too.

Disagreement is how truth emerges.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #70 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 12:45pm

Okay - I'm pretty sure I've got the korfman aticle as a pdf somewhere.
I'll see if I can find it.
And badger - chill out man. Until someone finds written evidence of how romans - first define your 'romans' - used slingers - EVERYTHING is down to individual opinion.

Also bear in mind that while I, and many others,  always approach such issues from a common sense angle: ie: as a slinger this makes sense and that doesn't.

Thearos is a professional academic and only gives creedence to actual historical records.

And there's bugger all point arguing with him on those grounds Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #71 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 1:30pm

Yes: of course, no evidence for something doesn't mean it didn't happen; nor does evidence for something say it happened all the time. Nonetheless, it does make sense to be very clear what is what.

No: it's not all a case of individual opinion, any more than science is. E.g. "The Romans did not have gunpowder" is not up to individual opinion. "The Romans were a very unequal society" OR "The Romans were very cruel" are statements open to debate; but again, you can talk about the basis for the judgment. Such matters are (pretty) interesting, and probably do matter somewhere down the line; and there is a reason why there are professionals (or professional-standard scholars) to do it. 

For instance, T. Rihll's statements about lead bullets being for catapults can be discussed, not on the basis of common sense, but argument:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/10.2972/hesperia.80.4.0677

So do argue with me-- but bring evidence and arguments.

IP Logged

ArchaeoMan
Tiro

ubi dubium ibi libertas

Manhattan, KS
Reply #72 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 10:25pm

I was reading back through Korfmann, the closest I've seen is a recommendation from Vegetius to release on the first rotation. This seems to imply some sort of technique standardization, which if one is of a mind to, could be stretched to imply volley-fire. Korfmann reads it as an effort to increase the fire-rate. Personally I think Vegetius was engaging in some fanciful armchair generaling... "why, if these guys just released the first time, they could fire twice as fast!"

Does anyone happen to know of an early reference to volley-fire? (slings, bows, muskets, etc) It seems our understanding of ancient combat might draw a lot from the common military practice at the time of study... and classical studies was coming of age at a time when everyone was all about standardized uniforms, volley-fire and marching in step.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #73 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 4:00am

Shooting volleys ensures that everyone slings at the rate of the slowest slinger. I dont see any advantage to volleys once the engagement has started. There will only be a limited time between the armies coming into sling range then clashing shield-to-shield. In that time I want the maximum number of shots to fall on the enemy and that means everyone slings as fast as they can.

I strongly suspect volley fire began in the days of gunpowder, due to the clouds of thick smoke generated by the weapons. Volley fire allows time for the smoke to clear so you can see the enemy for the next shot, but continuous fire would mean continuous smoke and you would not be able to see the enemy to aim at them.

As a sling unit commander I would position us in loose formation in front of our heavy infantry. Not too far in front, because I dont want us to get munched by a sudden cavalry attack.

I would give one aiming point  to my slingers, wait till I reckon the enemy is close enough for most of us to get hits then I would unleash hell. Everyone slings at their best speed and accuracy until the enemy is close enough that we have to break and run for the flanks or through gaps in our infantry.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #74 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 10:02am

Slingbadger and Archaeoman refer to Vegetius, who I think recommends release after one spin, instead of three (which rather suggest that the three-spin release was normal, as indeed most ancient sources seem to suggest). He also does mention training to sling. Note this is not for "slingers", but for legionaries. The speech of Hadrian at Lambaesis also mentions slings, including slinging on horseback.

http://www.livius.org/la-ld/lambaesis/lambaesis_inscr.html

(the horseback thing isn't there but it's been referred to in this forum earlier).

So:

-drilling by legionaries in the use of the sling is very likely: legionaries drilled, and the Lambaesis inscription shows that they did sling in the C2nd AD.

-"standardized length" and "volley fire" and "all in synch" are perhaps less likely, especially since the Lambaesis thing seems to be about individual prowess (which the Roman army had considerable time for: this is shown e.g. by Caesar's account of the Gallic Wars, or Josephus on Roman cavalry. The point made I think by Jacques Harmand is his book on Caesar's legionaries). But that's arguable.

Anyways, it's Vegetius (unsurprisingly), to which add the Lambaesis inscription recording a speech of Hadrian. Good to know not just what (we think) we know but how we know it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)