Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Honda de Menorca / A Menorcan sling (Read 9305 times)
4accord
Descens

Honda de Menorca / A Menorcan sling
Apr 8th, 2009 at 2:51pm

Just received a fabulous and fascinating sling from Menorca.  As many will remember, Luis Livermore was the Ballearic champion slinger featured in the History Channel's recreation of David's sling against Goliath.  If you missed this video, you will definitely want to check it out:  

http://www.youtube.com/user/fonermenorqui

Also of great interest is an interview he did for a TV station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY7EOspW594&feature=related

Luis had offered to make slings on request for 40 Euros plus shipping (about $60), and mine has just arrived.  I wanted to post a few pictures, which will follow.  This one shows the way it arrived.  Luis also shared some very interesting information, which I will also share and translate.

Cords, pouch, stone, and time -&&Today, just as yesterday,&&Ages stand as one.

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Re: Honda de Menorca / A Menorcan sling
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 3:01pm

The sling measures about 26 1/2 inches from end of finger loop to center of split pouch.  He had asked me for the length of my arm so he could make one to my best size, and I had requested one for accuracy rather than a longer one for distance.  I was amazed at how lightweight it was.  It seems to be made of a material more like a white sisal than jute or hemp (I think they call it pita).  It easily stretches out to 28 inches.  One of the most striking aspects is the degree of taper, starting thin and becoming widest at the pouch and then tapering back to surprisingly slender at the release end.  It almost looks too delicate to use, but Luis assures me it is not!  Notice also (a little hard to see in the picture) that the leather protection of the pouch extends up the release cord about 3.5 inches, as this is an area that gets the most wear.

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 3:04pm

Here's another picture that gives an indication of just how thin this sling is in comparison to a standard pencil.

taper.jpg (102 KB | )
taper.jpg

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 3:18pm

I asked Luis a few questions - first because no matter what I put in it, it seemed to fall out, whether tennis balls, golf balls, or even rocks.  My first thought was that this was perhaps because of the smoothness of the leather or the weight of my ammo, but he explained it this way (my translation first, his words below).

---

You can throw tennis balls perfectly well and stones, too.  Lead glandes will be a little more difficult.  It all has to do with how you position the projectiles in the pouch (the central part of the sling).  In any case, in terms of the leather that it has, as the projectiles wear on it a little, it will grip more.  It seems fragile, but it is very tough, so don't worry.  What might happen is that the small stones fall out of the braids.  If it bothers you, you can shorten them, although it is just a question of esthetics.

How do you set the stones or balls?  You have to place them supported above the cords, very slightly opened but enough that they remain stable.

These slings, which are the ones we use, come from the peninsula.  The sling of the islands is thought to be much more simple.  So, with a sling identical to yours, we throw perfectly well tennis balls, rocks, and with care golf balls, but this is infrequent.  Glandes can also be thrown, although it takes a little practice.

In theory, the more slender the sling, the better it works for aiming, since the projectile has less area to rub against.  Obviously, a cord of 1 cm isn't good; it can't miss it.  But if you look, from the pouch to the release end, it gets thinner and thinner, and this is so you just graze it with the projectile and try to make the flight cleaner and more powerful.

-----

...pelotas de tenis puedes tirar perfectamente, y piedras también, los glandes de plomo te costarán un poco más, todo tiene que ver en como colocas los proyectiles sobre la  bolsa (la parte central de la honda) de todas formas, en cuanto el cuero que tiene puesto se gaste un poco los proyectiles se agarran más. parece frágil pero es muy resistente por eso no te preocupes, lo que puede pasar es que salgan pelitos de el trenzado, si te molestan los puedes cortar, aunque es solo una questión de estetica.
Como colocas las piedras? o pelotas? tienes que colocarlos apoyados encima de las cuerdas, muy poco abiertas, pero lo suficiente para que quede estable.

...estas hondas que son las que usamos, derivadas de la peninsula, la honda de las islas se cree que es mucho más simple, pues con una honda identica a la tuya, tiramos perfectemente pelotas de tenis, piedras, y con cuidado pelotas de golf aunque es poco frecuente, los glandes también se pueden tirar aunque hay que tener un poco de práctica.

...en teoria, cuanto más fina es una honda, mejor funciona para hacer punteria, ya que el proyectil tiene menos superficie de rozadura, evidentemente no sirve una cuerda de 1cm no hay que pasarse, pero si te fijas, de la bolsa hasta la cola de cada vez es más fino, eso es para rozas lo justo con el proyectil y intentar que el vuelo sea más limpio y potente.

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 11:06pm

Looks very nice!  Have you you given it a test run yet?

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 11:36pm

No test run - it's my museum piece!  I have gone back and rewoven most of my braided slings using this one as a pattern and tapered them down to a tiny release end with no substantial knot.  I will try those out and see if it makes as much difference as I think it will.

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 7:08pm

Could you please weight it ? Thanks !

IP Logged

melliphile

What drags you out throws
you in.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 7:43pm

I also have one from Luis on order.  I was very excited to see your pics!  Thanx 4acorrd! He should be shipping mine today or tomorrow.  I keep encouraging Luis to do more instructional stuff.  Maybe one day we'll get lucky and he'll do some tutorial videos.  At first I thought the price was a bit steep, but how often do you have this opportunity? I can't wait to hear about your experience with it.  Keep us posted!

Anything that is of value in life only multiplies when it is given.

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 9:16pm

Luis' sling weighs 45.2 grams.  Just for fun, I also weighed several other braided slings...

My Rockman style in paracord is about the same length, also tapered, with no leather, and it came in at 64.1 grams.

A jute sling slightly shorter with no leather, also tapered, weighed 44.8.

A hemp, slightly longer with leather and no tapering, weighed 51.7.

A cotton with leather but no tapering, slightly longer, weighed only 32.7.

There are a lot of variables here, so this is far from scientific.  Depends on how much tapering, what thickness of material, what type leather....

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 7:39am

4accord wrote on Apr 9th, 2009 at 9:16pm:
Luis' sling weighs 45.2 grams.

Thanks 4accord !

45g is already a lot. It is the weight of a light sling bullet.

My theory that only the weight of the release cord really matters seems to be confirmed.
On another thread I mentionned that the same sling with 2 different release cords (8g one and 16g the other) behaved very differently in both cases. The 16g cord was too heavy.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 4:10pm

I weighted my jute sling. It's 55 grams and 78 cm (30.7 inches)

4accord, your baleric sling is awesome. Considering the work involved it's well worth the price.

Alastian, I belive the influence of weight on the release cord depends on the slinger. You stated you prefer lighter release cords, when I tried, I found them too flimsy to use properly (acuracy drops at once)  

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #11 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 8:00pm

I have made a few of these slings now and $60 is a good price when you total up time spent making it ( Less then $1 for fibers).  I would be working for around $4 an hour.  On my second sling I made the release cord thin and it work well with a light wieght stones or tennis balls, however, I could not hold onto the release cord with heavy stone above 3oz.  I have noticed that the heavy wieght sling is quicker to master or at least the ones I have played with.

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #12 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 9:10pm

Using Luis' sling as a pattern, I undid the braids on the release cord of three of my slings and tapered them as much as I could.  It made an immediately noticeable difference.  I can't say I am suddenly any good, but for the first time I feel as though I have control, and they perform much more like my paracord or bolo cord slings, which till now have been my best.  They also give me that sweet crack of the whip, which I had not heard before.  I'm a believer!  When it comes to the release cord and the knot, THINK THIN!

IP Logged

GERDO
Novicius

Slinging Rocks in Austria

Wels (Austria)
Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 5:19am

Im also interested at one of Luis slings! How can i contact him? Is he talking english?
Thanks.

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #14 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 8:11am

Luis speaks English, Spanish, and Catalán (at least!).  If you go to the Members link at the top of the forum pages, at the upper right you can sort by name.  Luis goes by balearic-sling, and you can reach him by private message. : http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?action=imsend;to=balearic%2Dsling

Nick
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2010 at 5:20pm by 4accord »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man)