Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Influence of the weight of the release cord (Read 1395 times)
Alsatian
Descens

Influence of the weight of the release cord
Apr 6th, 2009 at 4:50pm

I assume that the weight of the pouch may have some impact on the direction of the sling bullet.
But what about the release cord ?

I use a stiff and therefore heavy string for the retain cord. For the release cord instead, until now, I used a rather thin cord. But thin cords are most of the time very malleable and sometime I get unwanted knots in them. Thinner cords also more easily roll themselves around plants or your legs.

So, isn't it better to use a stiffer an therefore heavier release string ? The whole sling/bullet system will cost a bit more force to accelerate but it will be easier to handle. No selfknoting and less rolling around plants.

For this reason it would be interesting to know if the release cord weight has some impact on the direction of the slinged stone.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Influence of the weight of the release cord
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 5:56pm

I think that the release cord should be light. The stone has to open the pouch against the inertia of the knot end of the release cord where the speed is much slower and so centrifugal force to self-open is less.

Also, when the stone hits the release cord as it often does, you want it to be light to avoid deflecting the stone.

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 11:16pm

I just today received a Menorcan sling from Luis Livermore, who most will remember as the champion slinger who recreated for the History Channel the fatal shot to Goliath.  I was very much struck by how thin was the release cord.  I will soon be posting a thread with details of the sling - it is VERY different than a standard braided sling (to my surprise).  The main thing I noticed was the extreme care taken to broaden the retention cord as it leaves the finger loop and approaches the pouch, and then how gradually but dramatically it narrows again as it reaches the release end.  This is in marked contrast to my own braided slings which have tended to be very uniform on both sides all the way through.  This could be one reason I do so poorly with all of them but do much better with paracord or bolo cord.  I never thought of the points you have raised about the projectile hitting the cord or knot, and perhaps other subtle things that can very much affect flight.  Great discussion!

Cords, pouch, stone, and time -&&Today, just as yesterday,&&Ages stand as one.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 2:11am

I've only experimented a little with this but I've found that with a uniformly thick and heavy release cord the release itself gives an unpleasant jerk to the hand as the cord snaps fully open. The beautifully tapered release cord on the Balearic sling I'm pretty sure is designed to minimise this and acts like a cracking whip where the wave pulse accelerates down the length of the cord as the mass per unit decreases. This should give the best of both worlds with a quick snappy release without the jerk of a heavy cord and the tangling problems of very thin cords. Of course tapered cords must be individually braided which excludes using commercially made cord cut to length and complicates sling making greatly. BTW Interesting to note that the Tibetan slings that seem so popular at the moment don't appear to have this tapered release cord feature.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 9:02am

I have played around with both styles. I happen to prefer both cords to be a little more stiff but still light. The light nylon cords seem to wild and less controllable for me. I make my slings out of a very tightly braided jute, stiff and light. Overall People here use a huge variety of sling materials,and seem to produce the same affects. I always say it comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Find what seems to work for you and your style.
One thing that did not work good is a weight on the end of the rlease cord by the knot. I thought wieght there would help it open faster but found out just the opposite.
Every sling and slinger is a custom fit.

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 9:31am

On the pictures I saw here, I always had the impression that the balearic slingers used rather thick cords. That is the reason I got the idea to use a thick and therefore relatively heavy release cord.

But then on my last slinging session I always had the impression that the bullets went too much down. I also used another sling with a thin release cord this day with which I was very accurate. But each time I used the sling with the thick cord I had to aim much higher to hit the same spot on the tree and had  to use much more force.

Now I found a thin polypropylen cord which is also rather stiff. I have exchanged the thick cord with the thin cord. Thick cord: 16g. Thin cord: 8g (in fact in both cases there are a few gramms to add for the chain knot I have bound at the end of the release cord - for this I use a thin cord).

Now both slings give the same results. With both slings I hit the spot of the tree I want to hit without having to aim higher or lower.

The weight of the retain cord does not seem to matter.
One sling has a retain cord of 26g (aramid) and the other has a retain cord of 16g (polypropylen ).
But I have the impression that I feel the difference of weight when slinging.

So my old philosophy still holds: Make the sling cords stiff if possible but not at the expence of a higher weight in the case of the release cord. For the retain cord the weight does only matter for the whole weight of the sling but not for the direction of the bullet.

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2009 at 7:30pm by Alsatian »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)