Send Topic Print
Jute (Read 3341 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Jute
Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:49pm

I finally made a sling that I'm not ashamed to display, but my kid did something to the computer and it won't recognize my camera.  I'll try to get her to fix it tonight.  I made it from jute, of a much thinner guage than the other materials I've been using.  The thickness wasn't on the package, so I  can only guess at it's diameter... maybe 1/16 of an inch.  On the roll it says #181 natural, but that means nothing to me.  Anyway, it came out great and I can't wait to show it. 
   My question:  while slinging today the sling flew off of my finger and into the lake.  Is jute harmed by water in any way?  I don't think so, but I don't know.  I have it hanging out to dry from the shower curtain rod with a fairly heavy stone in it now.  In that it's my first really aesthetically decent sling (Rockman style) I'd hate to ruin it. 
Thanks
Btw, thin is in!  This works great and won't be my last skinny sling.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Re: Jute
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 5:03pm

As long as it is not salt water, it will be ok. My own jute slings have been wet with aparently little to no damage. That is, until it came in contact with sea water. A few days later, it was ruined. The strings looked like they were from 20 years ago.

Thin strings are the way to go for more power, I recently tried a heavy vs. light sling. Light sling wins for speed, heavy sling wins for control.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

castanon93
Descens

IN BELLU PRIMUM

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 6:27pm

lol, they have finally started calling them rockman slings Smiley
cant wait to see the pictures, btw, how do you call jute in spanish, i want to get some natural fiber.

If there is any Evil in this world, it lurks on the hearts of Mankind-
castanon93  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 6:52pm

castanon93 wrote on Apr 1st, 2009 at 6:27pm:
lol, .. how do you call jute in spanish ..

guita del yute , if bablefish is to be believed , is spanish for jute twine

Steven says: ''

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 10:50pm

Jute is the only material I use. I love the stuff. Its cheap, durable, and easy to work with. I don't think water will affect it at all, I have used mine in the rain and it just dried out fine. But thats different than being completely submerged in water.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 4:50pm

this is actually good, it'll make it softer

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Fx 2000
Descens

Zielst Du noch, oder triffst
Du schon?

Karlsruhe Germany
Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 6:21pm

Its like xxkid123 said, it makes it softer. I make my sling of flachs, it´s a natural fiber than jute. They are verry strong and longlife.
I protect my sling with natural wax, like I do it with my bowstring.

Michel from germany

sorry of my bad english

The brain is a fantastic thing, if you use it.&&Früher war ich klein und gemein, heute bin ich größer und böser.

IP Logged

Rueben
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 1:26am

Rat Man wrote on Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:49pm:
while slinging today the sling flew off of my finger and into the lake.

You could whip the loop smaller so it will stay on your finger. On one of the first slings I braided, I made the retention loop just barely big enough for my finger. This worked great, but took quite a bit of fiddling and means the sling can not easily be used by anyone else. I now just make the loop larger and whip it smaller to fit my finger.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 11:48am

Ratman, would like to see your sling. Are you going to post the pic?!

Anyone know how long to cut the cords for a 30" sling from pouch to retention knot/loop? In inches/feet?

Walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 12:37pm

Walter, look among Guides and Articles -Advice and How-To`s at Dan Bollingers Illustrated Guide.  There you`ll find the cords should be 2,8 X finnished lenght.
Everyone should read the Advice and How-To`s, lots of useful stuff there  Wink
timann

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 5:22pm

My Apache sling is braided jute, and it's been soaked repeatedly, with no ill effects. It tends to soak water up pretty well, and gets kinda waterlogged, but it dries pretty quickly.
As for sea water, I'd think that's because of salt crystals left behind when the water dried. Salt, sand, and other little gritty bits wreak havoc on fibers, especially natural ones. With the amount of movement sling cords go through, it shouldn't take long for sharp little grains to totally slash around your sling. I know on the Climbing course where I work, we can't certify any ropes as Safe for Climbing if they've been in contact with gravel/sand, because they can be cut or frayed so easily.
I think keeping any slings away from that kind of thing would be a very wise idea, both for the longevity of the sling and the safety hazards that arise from inadequate sling cords.

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 6:48am

walter wrote on Apr 4th, 2009 at 11:48am:

Anyone know how long to cut the cords for a 30" sling from pouch to retention knot/loop? In inches/feet?

Walter

For braided slings I cut three cords that are six times longer than I want the folded length of the sling to be. I get a bit left over but not too much.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 1:56pm

Walter

try 3 14-15 feet each cords with the folded in half method. with ten feet-each-cords i can get from 22inches to 24 inches(when folded in half).

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 6:59pm

My guide that I use says to cut the cords 2.8 times the lenght you need.......YMMV

Marc Adkins

David Morningstar wrote on Apr 5th, 2009 at 6:48am:

Walter

For braided slings I cut three cords that are six times longer than I want the folded length of the sling to be. I get a bit left over but not too much.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #14 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 5:03am

winkleried wrote on Apr 5th, 2009 at 6:59pm:
My guide that I use says to cut the cords 2.8 times the lenght you need.......YMMV

Marc Adkins

Yep, that will be the unfolded length of the sling. I made a big Apache sling a couple of weeks ago, I wanted the loaded pouch to reach across to the opposite shoulder. I pulled each cord out to that length six times before cutting. The sling came out perfectly.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)