Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slings against Caesar (Read 16349 times)
winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Slings against Caesar
Reply #30 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 9:56pm

C_A could that particular thread be the "Annuals of Tigernach"originally posted by Sling badger???????

Marc Adkin

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 30th, 2009 at 8:02am:
thanks guys - I knew they'd been found just couldn't remember how  I knew Smiley

There was definitely a thread about irish grave goods and slings - but buggered if I could track it down Sad
Ah - that's right, there was a quote from one of the celtic legends stating that a chieftain was buried with his slings.
Definitely a thread on the forum somewhere.

As far as leather surviving goes - there was an excavation of  aroman rubbish dump in london in the last few years (saw it on a telly program) and they found components of a leather water wheel as well as various other leather goods !
Leather is very tough and can survive in a variety of different conditions for a long time.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #31 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 9:58pm

In short diffrent varieties of slings were used by diffrent groups, not to much diffrent than today Smiley

Marc Adkins

Thearos wrote on Mar 30th, 2009 at 5:48pm:
Conclusion: Fundibularius is certainly right to say the Eburones used the sling (perhaps even principally, but certainly in combination with other missile weapons) to harry and outfight and wipe out the Roman legion and a half; the evidence is circumstantial, literary, and archaeological (in the form of sling projectiles; among the handful of archaeologically attested slings, none seem to come from the relevant period, Iron Age France).

What kinds of sling were used by Celtic, or Germano-celtic populations of ca. 54 BC ?  Roman-era finds suggest leather straps and cup, as do mediaeval British and Irish finds; the Cortaillod sling (in the right area, but nearly a millenium earlier, and belonging to a different culture altogether) suggests the possibility woven vegetal fibre.

How's that for a summary ?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #32 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 11:52pm

Hey  guys,

Chiming in late.Check out this show.

http://www.history.com/content/warriors/episode-guide

They don't have the Barbarians episode listed yet,but this link goes to the episode player.

http://www.history.com/video.do?name=warriors&bclrid=fullepisodes

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #33 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 7:07am

Quote:
Conclusion: Fundibularius is certainly right to say the Eburones used the sling (perhaps even principally, but certainly in combination with other missile weapons) to harry and outfight and wipe out the Roman legion and a half; the evidence is circumstantial, literary, and archaeological (in the form of sling projectiles; among the handful of archaeologically attested slings, none seem to come from the relevant period, Iron Age France).  

What kinds of sling were used by Celtic, or Germano-celtic populations of ca. 54 BC ?  Roman-era finds suggest leather straps and cup, as do mediaeval British and Irish finds; the Cortaillod sling (in the right area, but nearly a millenium earlier, and belonging to a different culture altogether) suggests the possibility woven vegetal fibre.  

How's that for a summary ?  

Thearos,
sorry, I haven't had the time to check the site lately. I agree with the summary.

Let me add wool as a possible material for Celtic slings. Or other animal (or maybe even human) hair. Just hypothetically, as it is always "in reach" for herdsmen. Or for warriors who like to cut off their enemies' heads.

If we want to be sure about the (continental) Celtic or German sling, however, we'll have to hope for a lucky find from the period in the alpine ice, or in bogs or under water or in a hermetically sealed grave or something similar. It might not be very probable, but who of us, in the 1980s, would have guessed that we would once look into Oetzi the Iceman's face and examine his well-preserved neolithic weapons and tools?

If I remember well, there is a link somewhere on this site to slings depicted on Trajan's column. If any, then for now, in time and space, these could be the "closest" types of "Barbarian" slings to those used in the Gallic Wars - although there are almost 200 years and 2000 km between the events in Gaul and in Dacia.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #34 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 7:38pm

How about a Balearic slinger from Hannibal's army, preserved like Otzi in a glacier, and revealed by global warming induced thaw ?

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #35 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 5:10am

That would be great. With a bag full of notes written by Hannibal himself: "My dear wife, soon our travelling circus will reach the realms of Italy and do a few shows in some of its famous cities as a sign of our goodwill and of the everlasting peace between our peoples..."

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #36 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 5:15pm

"In Cannae, three tent show. I hope we can do Rome ! If you can make it in Rome, you can make it anywhere. Tough crowd, though"

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #37 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 12:12pm

"Surely they'll like the wild ruminants from the north. Buffalo Bal, that's how they're gonna call me."

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #38 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 5:41pm

Ich verbeuge mich

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #39 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 6:38am

Bitte, zuviel der Ehre.

You surely know this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnidejoch Chances for finding an original sling are not too bad, I guess. It just has to be recognised as such.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #40 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 6:11pm

Wow-- didn't know this one. A yew bow taken by a tourist !

You know Manfred Korfmann's thesis (Schleuder und Bogen)-- sling and bow were, at least in the near east, mutually exclusive. I don't know if this is right-- especially in the west...

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #41 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 5:25am

Thearos, do you know anywhere that has that Korfmann thesis in English? I have been drooling to read it for years, but I haven't been able to find a translation.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #42 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 6:38am

I read it recently-- it's qyute sort. I think there's an abstract in English; and the gist of it is summarised in his Scientific American article of October 1973

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)