Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Finally a vid of a power/distance tecnique. (Read 10726 times)
Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Finally a vid of a power/distance tecnique.
Mar 18th, 2009 at 10:21pm

Here is the vid of the tecnique I use for distance/power. I have commented on using tecniques like the helecopter style and sidearm that they didnt work well with this long of a sling, but I was wrong on that one. I can use sidearm well with this sling when slinging for accuracy. And the distance suprized me (around 700-800 feet). But with the distance/power tecnique, 1000 feet is usual. I know the quality sucks, but its just there because alot of people asked for a demonstration. Ill try to post more vids with a higher quality camera in the near future, beacause I want to prove certain things about the slings power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rknIz94eoSU

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: Finally a vid of a power/distance tecnique.
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 11:12pm

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 11:14pm

I watched the vid and thought that it was cool then when I went back to add it to my favorites it had been removed.  Did you take it down and if so, why?  Btw, the spud gun is way cool!

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 11:55pm

I just watched the video and I can't figure out how you guys get the ball to go so far slinging it like that.  When I get the sling over  a certain lenght all the snap and power is gone; however, if I shorten the same sling just a little it's back in the sweet spot and the distance/power is back.  I think we should plan the sling fest in Utah this year and I will set up a few courses on the salt flats.  We could do some target shooting and then throw in some long distance contests.  We (well not me!) might even break some records.  Bonneville Salt Flates after all is where all the land speed records are set.  We would have miles of very flat surface to play on.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 12:20am

Wonderful idea! Take heaps of videos and accurate details of the slings, projectiles, etc. The high altitude should also help as air resistance will be markedly reduced which aids both the flight of the projectile as well as the actual slinging process itself.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 9:36am

Wink Too long for me .... I noticed your untangle the feet happy dance; before you could cast your projectile.
Wouldn't let anything that could tangle me up, anywhere near me in a serious dust-up.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Jae

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 9:38am

not only the chance of a dust up but one would be fairly restricted on how they could throw their projectile.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:57am

Remember when a sling is that long I have to spin the sling around to a certain speed when using either that tecnique or sidearm, once it up to speed, the the air resistance goes away, and its all good from there, thats how I know when to release. Btw, the speeds of the projectiles are amazing, it takes about 3-4 seconds total for the projectile to reach 1000 feet. Ill post some more vids soon.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 9:04am

Quote:
once it up to speed, the the air resistance goes away, and its all good from there,

No it doesn't - what happens is that the sling straightens out and you feel the pull of the ammo.
Unless you suddenly switch to a vacumn, air resistance is ALWAYS a factor.

Just think before typing - just once would be nice Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 10:40am

Hey, what I meant is, once its up to a good rotation speed, I can feel the weight of the projectile and thats when I know when to release.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 11:57am

lol yeah I noticed that aiming didn't seem to be part of the technique Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 4:08pm

It doesnt really matter for me, aiming with that tecnique is limited, but Im still able to hit a head sized object at point-blank range. Oh yeah and one more thing, 250 mph (average speed of a 5 oz projectile shot from my sling) is 360 feet per second. I think that beats 100-130 mph with lighter projectiles from an accuracy tecnique, (that would only stun somone!!!!!) Now tell me, what is the darn point of that? Whats the point of having a weapon that doesnt have killing power? Thats why I use  my sling and tecnique, because I know that it is deadly.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 8:17pm

100-130 mph would kill if it hits the face or the heart .

Your long sling gives you more power, but shorter slings are not to be underestimated, they can still pack quite a punch.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 5:28am

Mr. Boss wrote on Mar 23rd, 2009 at 4:08pm:
It doesnt really matter for me, aiming with that tecnique is limited, but Im still able to hit a head sized object at point-blank range. Oh yeah and one more thing, 250 mph (average speed of a 5 oz projectile shot from my sling) is 360 feet per second. I think that beats 100-130 mph with lighter projectiles from an accuracy tecnique, (that would only stun somone!!!!!) Now tell me, what is the darn point of that? Whats the point of having a weapon that doesnt have killing power? Thats why I use  my sling and tecnique, because I know that it is deadly.

How  did you measure your slinging speed? 250 mph is just under 112 m/s. Even assuming a sling length of 3 m your 5 oz stone is pulling 426 G's meaning a combined cord tension of 133 lbs!?

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Jae

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 9:01am

Ok, people have to post more video of their throwing techniques cause I am not getting anywhere near these results.  I cant remember who said it but they were saying they were getting 300 yard throws and I think someone even said 1000 yards.  Now I am no 'rocket genius' but that is just under the length of three football fields for one and 9 for the other.  If I can get a throw that goes 100 yards I consider it a good day.

Jae

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)