Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Slings in modern culture (Read 19291 times)
wellslung
Tiro

Sling me a song

San Diego, CA - USA
Slings in modern culture
Mar 14th, 2009 at 8:43pm

I was thinking of something I'd be interested in looking at, a comprehensive list of slinging in modern, popular culture. Like what movies have them (like apocalypto), what video games have them (like Baldur's gate has a superior quality named sling), or just any other references there may be out there. I tried looking this up myself but its so hard because sling is such an extremely common word used is so many different things. Does anybody know of such an article by any chance?

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Re: Slings in modern culture
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 9:41pm

Star wars: Return of the Jedi. Several Ewoks are seen slinging against the storm troopers.

The Simpsons: On one episode Bart Imagines himself as David and Nelson as Goliath's son. Bart holds an historically accurate sling (on some other episode, Bart is shown a replica of the sling David used and it's a slingshot, the one with rubber tubes)

Indiana Jones and the Crystal skull shows several slingers trying to hit Indiana.

On Peanuts Christmas Special, Linus uses his blanket as a sling for snowballs.

A technique for space travel is commonly known as the sling shot principle (or some variant) in which a space ship uses the Earth's gravity to speeds unreachable by chemical propulsion alone. This is exactly the same as using a large scale sling.

That's all I remember for now.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 10:27pm

actually in Indiana Jones, they are not slinging, but throwing bolas or something rather, its in a previous topic somewhere.

in pathfinder, the main character i think kills a few guards with a sling in underarm style. this happens twice during the movie.

IP Logged

Active Paw
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

California
Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 1:18am

A sling for playing fetch with your dog.

IP Logged

wellslung
Tiro

Sling me a song

San Diego, CA - USA
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 2:30am

I remember something else, it was actually one of the things that got me into slinging as a young teen. There's series of books by Piers Anthony and Robert E. Margoff, I think it was called the Kelvin series and Kelvin's sister Jon was a master slinger

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 8:44am

well wellslung - how about compiling a list for the wiki ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wellslung
Tiro

Sling me a song

San Diego, CA - USA
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 5:20pm

I think that would be a great idea now that we've kinda got the ball rolling. This thread has already been a great place to harvest information. The only problem is the wiki is still protected against editing  Sad

IP Logged

Galvanicfish

Just not right.

Central Ohio
Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 8:36pm

There was also an Episode of Lost where one of the characters, I forget whom, was knocked out by a stone from a sling.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana&&&&

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 9:21pm

Yeah if you only get knocked out by a sling, then the slinger must have really sucked!!!!! By my experiences with slings, a sling can blow someones head off!!!! Thats just the darn truth!!(Taking it from somone who has a 13 foot sling.) (the longer the sling, the more powerful it gets!!!)

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 9:25pm

O, and just one more thing, short slings dont have that much power. Not tryin to argue, Im just telling the obvious truth!

IP Logged

Galvanicfish

Just not right.

Central Ohio
Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 12:00am

Quote:
Yeah if you only get knocked out by a sling, then the slinger must have really sucked!!!!!

I've been working for years on my suspension of disbelief while watching teevee and movies.. T'was not convenient to the plot for the character to die Cheesy

Though now that I ponder it; I wonder if a soft rubber ball would knock someone out but not kill them. I dunno though, from what I've read you're more likely to kill someone with a blow to the head than just knock them out for a while...

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana&&&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 8:34am

Quote:
O, and just one more thing, short slings dont have that much power. Not tryin to argue, Im just telling the obvious truth!

You know every time I think you've said something really stupid - you go and top it with something even more ridiculous.
Slings have absolutely no power - no sling regardless of length has any power.
It's The SLINGER that causes the sling to perform.
And a 13 foot sling is ricidulously unwieldy. As far as combat goes. I'll take a 30 inch sling with a 200 yard range against your 13 foot sling and your claimed 500 yard range any day of the week. I know what I can do with a sling. It's realistic and scares the crap out of most people the first time they see it.
If I don't get off 5 accurate shots to your one inaccurate one - I'll boil and eat my sling Smiley (the special one I made out of fresh pasta)

Quote:
Yeah if you only get knocked out by a sling, then the slinger must have really sucked!!!!! By my experiences with slings, a sling can blow someones head off!!!!

Ah yes, case in point in the 'most stupid thing said about slings this week' awards.
A sling can not 'blow someones head off'.
You might - just 'might' - get penetration of the skull with a shaped glande and a perfect shot. But the head will stay attached to the body. Slings cause most damage by concussive shock or breaking bones. Ie: a solid impact can cause internal damage.
Yes lead glandes can penetrate and did.

However for accuracy, power is generally dialed back so knocking someone out is a realistic result from a very accurate shot.
And yep I remember that lost episode as well Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 11:57am

I know that It matters by the slinger. David Engvall and Larry Bray, must have been REALLY strong to get a projectile 1500 feet using a short sling. They probably would have gotten the projectiles further if they used a sling like mine, I would imagin... Do you agree?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 12:40pm

Mr. Boss wrote on Mar 18th, 2009 at 11:57am:
They probably would have gotten the projectiles further if they used a sling like mine, I would imagin... Do you agree?

Presumably they would need to use your special long sling technique, but since we dont have a video or description of it we cant possibly comment...

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 3:15pm

Ill try to finally post the vid later today or tomorrow with a camera phone.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris)