Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Go sling by Active Paw (Read 7531 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Go sling by Active Paw
Mar 1st, 2009 at 4:53pm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ActivePaw&view=videos

http://activepaw.com/About.html

Its a commercial captive release cord sling with a three strap pouch for throwing tennis balls for your dog.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Re: Go sling by Active Paw
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 4:44am

cool idea to be used commercially! Ive used it a couple times with the dog. around 5 throws, the dogs already tired  Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 11:24am

hmm, but does it get over the whole 'slobber laden tennis ball not going anywhere near my pocket' aspect that the plastic thrower does so well ?

I've seen a smiliar thing to this that claims it just attaches to your lead. Was quite expensive so I didn't get one - but looked a lot like this thing.

Well it looks a bit complicated compared to say an ausie pouch and a bit of paracord lol. And how are you supposed to load the ball from the floor when you've got a 90 pound hairy mutt bouncing around trying to steal the ball ?
They just don't think these things through Smiley

Nope I'll stick with my flexible plastic ball thrower I think. Total hands and slobber free and picks up the ball quicker than the dog can steal it !

Still got to give the company credit for producing a commercial sling design Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Active Paw
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

California
Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 6:44pm

Hello, I just found this link and wanted to say “Hi”. I understand your point "curious_aardvark" of a 90 pound hairy mutt stealing your tennis ball. We are currently training our dog to just drop the tennis ball into the pouch. She almost has it down, but still needs a little work. I'll posting videos of that shortly. I'd think that being in a "slinging" forum that you'd ditch your plastic ball thrower for a sling  Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 3:13pm

Quote:
I'd think that being in a "slinging" forum that you'd ditch your plastic ball thrower for a sling  Roll Eyes.

lol fair point Smiley
To be honest it does depend on which dog I'm throwing for. If it's just for bilbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Hu9HaEvgk
Then I'll usually use a sling and aussie pouch.
And sure I could probably train him to be boring and wait for me to pick the ball up - but where's the fun in that Wink

If on the other hand we're looking after one of our friends dogs I'll use the plastic thrower as they bring it back faster and seem to get it a lot wetter.
Plus it has the serious advantage of my never having to touch the ball Smiley

But I like the captive pouch design you've used and also the fact that you've come up with a commercial modern design for the sling Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 4:17pm

LOL,  I have two 90 pounds dogs that I was going to teach how to catch a frisbee.  I got to throw the frisbee exactly one time each of the three time I tried in three days.  Each day I came home with two pieces of frisbee (I hope they don't catch the nieghbor's cat).  I had fun the dogs had fun but it was just to costly replacing the frisbee.  I changed to tennis balls and they can't tear these in half.  They fight over getting me the ball and it is great fun.  I hope this idea catches on, however, I will stay with my 4000 plus year old sling.

IP Logged

Active Paw
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

California
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 12:33am

Funny video Aardvark,
I understand your situation, people will tell me their dogs just run away with the ball and never bring it back. I’m thinking of doing an article about teaching dogs to play fetch. I’ll let you know if it ever gets up. I’m lucky because my dog loves the fact of chasing the ball, not just the ball itself. I exercise her for around 30-45 minutes a day playing fetch, so you can imagine how slimy the ball gets. One thing that I can’t stop is that after she fetches the ball she loves to stick the slimy ball and her head between my legs.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 8:51am

lol bilbo brings it back, but gets so excited that as sson as he puts it down he pounces on it again - oh yeah and he's psychic.
See psychic dog thread lol

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 8:02am

I can't help but feel that a review of the go-sling by, Oh I don't know, say a moderator of this forum with a big hairy dog that chases tennis balls Wink
Might help sales of the go sling Smiley

I'm happy to volunteer Smiley

IP Logged

Snarfblat
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 1:50pm

Thanks C_A for pointing me to this thread.

I think the captive-release is an excellent design choice, especially for dogs that like to hang around nearby before running for the ball.  In my case, the dog will often run off full-speed, once he determines in which direction I'm throwing.  At that point my favorite throw is to land the ball right in front of him or run the ball right next to him (going faster than him) and he will put on a burst of speed and take off after it.  I find that this technique is a necessity in low-light situations (long Canadian winter) so that the dog can actually see/hear the ball and take off after it.  Once he sees/hears/smells the ball close to him, he never loses it.  If my thow is off by too much, that ball is lost unless we go searching for it.  We do manage to play fetch in almost pitch-black conditions.  (I use a shopping cart when I go buy tennis balls).  Both of my dogs seem to like this technique in broad daylight as well.  With that said, I just had a question about this blurb on the website:

"Go-Sling incorporates a safety feature that reduces intentional direct throws of a projectile directly at a specific target. Making it difficult to cause intentional harm or damage to property."

I was wondering how this might work, since pinpoint accuracy is something I'm actually trying to accomplish.  

This looks like an interesting product, but  I haven't noticed it for sale in local stores.  Do any of the major chains carry it?  Thanks

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 2:24pm

Snarfblat wrote on Apr 13th, 2009 at 1:50pm:
Thanks C_A for pointing me to this thread.

I think the captive-release is an excellent design choice, especially for dogs that like to hang around nearby before running for the ball.  In my case, the dog will often run off full-speed, once he determines in which direction I'm throwing.  At that point my favorite throw is to land the ball right in front of him or run the ball right next to him (going faster than him) and he will put on a burst of speed and take off after it.  I find that this technique is a necessity in low-light situations (long Canadian winter) so that the dog can actually see/hear the ball and take off after it.  Once he sees/hears/smells the ball close to him, he never loses it.  If my thow is off by too much, that ball is lost unless we go searching for it.  We do manage to play fetch in almost pitch-black conditions.  (I use a shopping cart when I go buy tennis balls).  Both of my dogs seem to like this technique in broad daylight as well.  With that said, I just had a question about this blurb on the website:

"Go-Sling incorporates a safety feature that reduces intentional direct throws of a projectile directly at a specific target. Making it difficult to cause intentional harm or damage to property."

I was wondering how this might work, since pinpoint accuracy is something I'm actually trying to accomplish.  

This looks like an interesting product, but  I haven't noticed it for sale in local stores.  Do any of the major chains carry it?  Thanks

For one thing it looks like the release cord is directly in line with the release. This in turn may be used to deflect the ammo  somewhat to the side for safety? A captive release cord necessitates a clear opening design such as Jax uses. The go sling patent application may include this optional detail.  

TechStuf aka (Yahweh bless you in Yeshua) is the originator of the “retention loop/hole” many years ago. His descriptions and features of this item have been publicly documented on slinging.org. The creative inputs to this forum are put here in the public domain and any broad commercializing of original creative ideas should be first reviewed by one’s conscience. My approach to this is to give credit to the first public disclosure regardless of any commercial legality.

tom
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009 at 3:26pm by Thomas »  

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 11:23pm

I wonder how they got the idea?

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Active Paw
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

California
Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 8:55pm

PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT in here to promote our product. We enjoy slinging with our dog. I’m in here to talk about slinging and what we enjoy doing. Please do not give us a hard time about our new product. Let’s keep it fun in here.

Lots of questions, this is going to be a very tough crowd for me since you guys are obviously professional slingers. First off I would like to thank David, he was the first to post in here about our product and it was picked up by our search engine that took me here.

Curious Aardvark - “I’m happy to volunteer”
As for a moderator to give our product a review, I’ve sent one over to Chris Harrison a couple of weeks ago. He seems to be very busy and I’m not sure if he will do a review on it or not. The slings are all handmade by me and my wife in California and take 35 minutes each to complete and package. So I’m sorry that I can’t give them away so quickly. Hopefully in the near future we will create a large enough inventory and give ALL the moderators one.

Snarfblat - “Go-Sling incorporates a safety feature. I was wondering how this might work, since pinpoint accuracy is something I'm actually trying to accomplish. Do any major chains carry it? ”
Thomas is very close and yes the release cord has a lot to do with it. Overall, the safety feature is a combination of the basket shape, cord stop length, cord attachment locations to the basket, but yes the cord will trap the ball into the basket if you try and throw it horizontally. I’ve heard of people disabling it, but please do not try. It’s only designed to play fetch not to target. We are not yet in major chains pet stores and it’s available in California and Oregon at this moment in the small mom and pop shops, we have learned it’s not that easy to get into massive retailers, hopefully soon. We also do not sell to the public, but you can e-mail us if you like and I’ll hook it up.

Thomas – “My approach to this is to give credit to the first public disclosure regardless of any commercial legality.”
Please don’t think we took or used someone else’s Idea. Our design incorporates two separate mechanisms and the placement locations make it critical. I don’t claim to have invented the idea of a loop/hole or claim to have invented the sling (I’m not that old). This is our unique design and is just one of many individual features that our sling incorporates. So please don’t tell me that you know someone else who has invented a “hands-free ball loading sling to play fetch with a dog so you don’t have to ever touch a slimy ball”, I will be very upset and might cry cause my wife and I would soon be jobless Cry.

Jax – “I wonder how they got the idea”
On our website it tells all about how we got the idea. It all started when I needed a present for my dog’s birthday. My dog is obsessed with playing fetch so I decided to make a sling to throw a ball. From there, every prototype was modified with new features to make it as easy as possible to use. We had a lot of fun developing it and it has turned into our passion.

Hope I answered all the questions. Honestly it feels a little hostile in here; I really hope it doesn’t keep up. We are just trying to spread the fun that we are having, just like this great website. Being an entrepreneur starting out in this tough economy is hard enough already.

THANKS EVERYONE!

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 10:30pm

Active Paw

I thank you for your gracious reply to my statements. Please realize these were my perceptions and should not reflect back on any of my fellow forum members. We need more members like you who are truly passionate about slinging concepts. Do keep us in warm fuzzys with any more breakthroughs you come up with.

Best to you and your enterprises.

tom              

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 10:35pm

I would like to buy one.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris)