Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Shaped leather pouch mini-tutorial (Read 37305 times)
Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Re: Shaped leather pouch mini-tutorial
Reply #45 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 4:48pm

That's exactly what I did for a tennis ball one, except I made three "tails" and made it out of duct tape.

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #46 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 5:32pm

I have been making leather sling like this for a time now and they work well for all ammo but i do tie my knot diffrent

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #47 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 1:30pm

Is there an advantage to this type of sling over the other methods of construction in terms of sling performance?  These are very easy to make, but are they more accurate or is it easier to get the spin on the projectile that you want?  I'm specifically thinking about the rockman sling with the split pouch.  I just bought the material to use for a rockman, and have a shaped pouch sling that I've been using.  I just got the football spin down yesterday using figure 8 and snow balls.  Does this style of construction offer advantages over the others, besides ease of construction?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #48 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 2:00pm

Its an easy way to make a cupped pouch out of leather, if leather is what you have. I think they have low drag compared to the thicker braided designs, and I like the way you can swap the cords easily to experiment with different lengths or release beads, crackers, wrist loops, grip toggles etc.

IP Logged

Captain Paul
Descens

der Schleudermeister

Bell Buckle,Tennessee
Reply #49 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 6:42pm

I much prefer the slings that I make.  One piece pouch---look in the photo gallery    Captain Paul

Never look down on someone--unless you are helping them up !

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #50 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 7:01pm

Regarding advantages...there are so many sling designs, and they are all good.  The question is what works best for you personally.  It may be worth bearing in mind that many of the classic designs (braided types) have been around for millenia!  There must be something to them.  But I like these cupped leather and paracord designs because I get my best results with them, and they are easy to make and it's easy to change lengths.

Cords, pouch, stone, and time -&&Today, just as yesterday,&&Ages stand as one.

IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #51 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 9:52pm

I could not get the spin for biconical bullets to work with my cloth sling, but the new leather one works as long as my technique is right.  I could see the spiral almost as clear as in David's video with the painted clay bullet.  Can the spiral be developed using other styles besides leather and figure 8?  They just seem to go so straight and hit very hard.

IP Logged

Kerugma
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #52 - May 1st, 2010 at 11:04pm

I like this, I think I might try to scrounge up some old leather and give it a shot... if I can't I'll triple up some denim and see what happens.

My gun is more accurate but my sling is more fun!&&&&They might outlaw the sale of bullets but rocks are free.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #53 - May 1st, 2010 at 11:40pm

Kerugma wrote on May 1st, 2010 at 11:04pm:
I like this, I think I might try to scrounge up some old leather and give it a shot... if I can't I'll triple up some denim and see what happens.

You may want to give the seatbelt sling a tryinstead of using denim. There's enough seatbelt material thrown away each year to make a sling for every man, woman and child in the US.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1243340828/0

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #54 - May 2nd, 2010 at 11:23am

4accord wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 9:41pm:
Here is the knot that I have been using with good results.

Looks like a larkshead. I've used it on a couple of my slings. Easy to tie and just as easy to take off and they have never slipped.

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15)