Send Topic Print
Sling Hunting? (Read 7965 times)
Widgetjam
Novicius

A rock by anyother name
hits just as hard.

Sling Hunting?
Feb 10th, 2009 at 8:50am

I know the odds of hunting with a sling as a beginner and actually killing something is very slim. But I was thinking about hunting dove around where I live. What If I used small shots in a pouched sling. Probally 10 shots per load. I figure it could be pretty effective when hunting. Please let me know what you think before I go out into the cold thinking I can grab dinner.  Grin

"The second half of a man's life is made up of nothing but the habits he has acquired during the first half."

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Sling Hunting?
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 10:58am

It's possible. They should be on the ground or roosting for best shot.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 1:43pm

does any bodyelse remember the story of the englshman taking doves off of powerlines

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 4:41pm

The difficulty with turning your sling into a shotgun is that only 10 pellets will make a pretty poor pattern. It would be very possible to sling right at a bird and yet have none of the individual stones actually hit it. More stones may not be practical either as you need a special sling or a large pouch to hold say 100 small stones which then have an aggregate weight which is difficult to sling yet each individual stone may not have sufficient energy to bring down a bird.

If it's legal, a bolas thrown at a flock of rising birds should have a higher likelihood of success.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 6:31pm

It is possible, but your best bet would be hunting birds or ducks, with a shotgun pouch attachment. But it would be hard to hunt deer because if they see you, they will run away fast. And also, with deer, their skin and skulls are tough, and an accurate shot might not have the power to kill it, unless it gets a head shot. Ive tested my shotgun sling attachment (I recently posted) and it works fine but I made it so its more portable than other designs. But it doesnt hold that much. It just matters on what size of ammo your looking to put in it.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 7:19pm

What is needed is a container that fits the pouch and opens after it leaves to disperse the scattershot in a tighter pattern. The key is dispersion after the charge clears the pouch, not by the pouch. This approach gives many creative possibilities.      

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 8:27pm

IP Logged

Widgetjam
Novicius

A rock by anyother name
hits just as hard.

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 8:54pm

Thanks for the input  Smiley. The idea seems plausible but unlikely. Maybe I can use a similar concept when hunting to stun the small game and then dispatch it with my hunting stick Keep with me (long curved hardwood stick).  That may just be the trick to hunting with a sling.

"The second half of a man's life is made up of nothing but the habits he has acquired during the first half."

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 9:14pm

It wouldnt stun!!!!, it would easily kill!!!!!

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 5:00pm

Hi, Widgetjam;
   Another possible game bird would be quail.  They bunch up in pretty tight coveys.  Back when I used to hunt with a 12 guage I'd get multiple kills on a single shot rather often when hunting them.  I've only taken one shot with intent to kill with a sling so far... it was at a dove, who was very safe. 

Rat Man

IP Logged

p8ntballa100
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 10:11pm

well... what i think is that you could conceivably hunt large game.  What i figure is that if you were to hit a deer, for example, it you hit it with say a 5 oz stone a little big but it will do more damage.  It would defiantly do some damage, imagine if you got hit even in the back or the leg with a huge stone going 150+ MPH you won't be going anywhere. Then you track it and run it down and kill it with a knife or finish it with more rocks.  That is the only way i see it.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 1:49pm

new zealand is a possible place to try this out I understand deer are considered pest there

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 3:44am

If you hit any small bird to medium bird with a single stone, it will break something resulting in sudden death. Killing a deer has been explored so many times, the members settled if i remembered that its only possible if you hit it in the head.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 1:18pm

Unless of course you lob a hand grenade at it, then it doesn´t matter that much where you hit it.
On a more serious note, I repeat my opinion that slings are unacceptable hunting weapons for reasons that should be pretty obvious to anyone who has spend some time practising with them.

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 1:25pm

A goat and a deer are about the same size.  I would feel bad trying to kill ether one with a sling.  But I don't think it is against the law to kill a domesticated goat for food????  I have seen deer with a leg completly missing that could not be tracked down, they run very good with only three legs.  I would be very interrested in how a sling would work, however, I think it would be better used after you catch the deer in a snare.   the reason for killing one in the first place would or should be for food.  I think you could waste a lot of time and energy using a sling.
But all that said I think we should try Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris)