Send Topic Print
hot tar ammo (Read 3407 times)
Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
hot tar ammo
Feb 4th, 2009 at 5:27am

Sorry for the recent influx of new topics!

I was watching Kingdom of Heaven last night when i noticed that they army of Jerusalem  defended there walls by spilling hot tar on the people trying to climb the war  ladders.  Could have ancient slingers used ceramic pots or something like that to fill with tar or something similar  to launch into the armies? Any records? It could be a little impractical when you could be using rocks but is it possible? Its kinda similar to the fire ammo thread. Personally i wouldn't use any of the two methods apart from casting rocks.

Does this make sense?>

I don't recommend this because of the risk of burning yourself obviously. Please, only theories.  

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: hot tar ammo
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 5:47am

Oh, yes. They had jars filled with pitch, tar, lime, anything that would burn or irritate. For stink bombs, they threw in slivers of horse hooves or broken pieces of horn Tongue
  Sling staffs were primarily used for these, as it was able to handle the jars. There is a picture of this happening from the Chronicles of Matthew Paris. A slingstaffer on a boat is flinging a jar onto another boat. Its in the Corpus Christi College Library, Oxford MS16:59v.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 7:08am

Quote:
For stink bombs, they threw in slivers of horse hooves or broken pieces of horn Tongue

don't forget sulphur - burns and stinks Smiley
Brimstone dontcha know Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 12:19pm

Jars of red hot sand were also used sometimes.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 8:48pm

Yep my sinuses will agree to that been recieving constant doses of Sulfur Dioxide from a clinets test site all this week.........

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 4th, 2009 at 7:08am:
Quote:
For stink bombs, they threw in slivers of horse hooves or broken pieces of horn Tongue

don't forget sulphur - burns and stinks Smiley
Brimstone dontcha know Wink

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 5:28am

Wasps nests!!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:54pm

GREEK FIRE

MUAHAHAHAHA

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 6:43pm

lol well if you come up wih the formula for greek fire - let us know, cos nobody else does Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 4:11pm

nope- im doing greek next year i think in social studies :p

might actually do me some good

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

B.cereus
Descens

de la tierra al cielo

Florida
Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 10:46pm

How about youths slinging rotten eggs at each other? Tongue

“So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him…….”1 Samuel 17:50-KJV
IP Logged

castanon93
Descens

IN BELLU PRIMUM

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 5:08pm

Aztecs used to heat stones before hurling them with their slings called Tematlatls, which are made from maguey fibers. that way the stones became even deadlier.

If there is any Evil in this world, it lurks on the hearts of Mankind-
castanon93  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)