Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Throwing Hammers/warhammers (Read 7145 times)
Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Throwing Hammers/warhammers
Feb 2nd, 2009 at 5:05am

Ive recently become interested in the use of warhammers in medieval times. I haven't exactly had a large dig of the internet for information but i would like to know which major wars in which the war hammer was in use.

From the information i had found, It said that warhammers were created by blacksmiths who were forced to go to war, so they made large hammers which as i imagine would have done some damage to the enemy in the right hands. They originally weren't all that large, only as large as a standard hammer these days.

Soon the armies adapted these, as short as a mace and as large as a halberd and to try to break the newer iron platebodies (maybe steel pl8) made in that time. This could be an indication to what time period they were made. This weapon could do damage with out penetrating which is handy. To make the weapon more versatile a spear like blade was made at the top of the weapon and an axe was at the back.

If it was as large as a mace, or a throwing axe, could these weapons be used as a throwing weapon, penetrate the armour? say iron armour?

Ive heard that the smaller hammers were used on horse back and the larger ones which are often called polearms, used for taking riders of their horses.  

One battle that the warhammer was used was the battle of towton 1461.

The first link shows a picture of the force of a  warhammer which hits a human skull - its quite scary..

http://www.the-exiles.org/Images/lejuepoleaxe/image11.gif

The second is a link to some information.

http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/armorypages/medieval_war_hammer.htm

IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Re: Throwing Hammers/warhammers
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 5:18am

Smiley I like warhammers, there is something particularly brutal and "Up close and personal" about them and they were very popular with knights in melee combat.

The Polearm is not what I would consider a hammer, more like a quarterstaff or spear with a multi purpose head.

I have never heard of warhammers being routinely thrown. As a general rule it is not a good idea to throw away a perfectly serviceable weapon, especially one that can be picked up and used against you.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 6:16am

yeah war hammers and big arse axes - my kind of weapons.

And no the actual hammer head would not have been that large.
maybe 1 or 2 pounds at the most.
Strap a bag of sugar to the end of a broom handle and see how easy it is to wield.
A 1 pound head would have been realistic. With a pointed end it would have easily been capable of penetrating most armour. And a flat end for everyone else. 

But thrown - like lycurgus says: why ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 11:47am

Here's a Google-Images page with plenty of such weapons illustrated:
http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mo...

(some are fantasy weapons)

War-hammers are essentially an anti-armor weapon, and they became popular when plate armor became able to resist swords and other bladed weapons.   The "originated from blacksmith hammers" idea seems plausible; if a hammer can shape steel on the forge, it can do it in battle....
Most have a dual head, one with a spike and one with a hammer.  Often the hammer side has edges or points to "catch" the armor better.

I too have never heard of anyone using these as throwing weapons, though no doubt it could be done in much the same way one throws an axe or tomahawk.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 2:26pm

Out of that lot these two are my favourites.

A full on two handed battle hammer and a neat little belt job for up close work after you've knocked the armoured bugger off his horse Smiley (or at least used the long hammer to break the horses knees - best tactic all round)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 2:28pm

Warhammers are great weapons!  I made one when I was a kid out of an old railroad spike... very effective on the vile garbage can hoards that I battled against... too effective actually, I got in a lot of trouble for tearing up that garbage can.  Anyway, I think that throwing hammers are mostly a creation of fantasy literature, since as we all know any dwarf worth his beer always has one over each shoulder Wink  Carrying hammers as you main ranged weapon would get heavy for one thing, and why throw a hammer when a spear would be lighter and more effective?

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 2:37pm

and why bother with a spear when you've got a pouch of shaped glandes and a sling Smiley

Anyway I thought dwarves always threw axes.  Wink

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 5:23pm

C-A, You're getting more politically incorrect by the moment! Fancy suggesting breaking horses knees! Slaughtering people is perfectly OK but not animals.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 6:00pm

lol I've never liked horses - can't understand why they don't get eaten more Smiley

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 12:35am

Aussie wrote on Feb 2nd, 2009 at 5:23pm:
C-A, You're getting more politically incorrect by the moment! Fancy suggesting breaking horses knees! Slaughtering people is perfectly OK but not animals.

If i was at that time id rather aim for the larger target than a shielded rider. But it does seem a little cruel when you see dead horses in lord of the rings...

Brian, Was it your neighbors trash can?  Wink

I thought the 2h warhammers where a little bit too big, first time i saw the war hammer was in the movie troy (great movie) where one of the greeks were wielding a huge warhammer... but thats the movie.. the bigger the better apparently.

C-A personally i dont like that warhammer you picked out, doesnt look like the classic boulder sized hammer i imagined  Wink

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:37am

The small hammer pictured is called a "bec de corbin" or Ravens's beak. Not only were these good for penetrating armor, but it turns out the beak is perfect for penetrating into eye slits on the helmets.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 6:14am

slingbadger wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:37am:
The small hammer pictured is called a "bec de corbin" or Ravens's beak. Not only were these good for penetrating armor, but it turns out the beak is perfect for penetrating into eye slits on the helmets.

Like I said earlier, nice and brutal.
Hollywood and romantic literature has done much to gloss over the reality of battle, and weapons like the hammer were designed to do severe damage to the soft and sqidgy human form as efficiently as possible before your enemy did the same to you.
Life for most medival people was hard, dirty and short.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 11:21am

Quote:
doesnt look like the classic boulder sized hammer I imagined  Wink

Well no - but it's a case of realism I'm afraid.
The fantasy war hammers heads would probably weigh anywhere between 50-100 pounds. Now put that on the end of a long stick and no bugger's going to lift it. let alone swing it all day.

There was a realistic one in the first conan movie that was wood with metal banding.
They were designed to knock a knight either off his horse or off his feet (and of course also very effective against horses knees Wink- then you'd move in with the small spikey ones.  

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:21pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 2nd, 2009 at 6:00pm:
lol I've never liked horses - can't understand why they don't get eaten more Smiley

You don´t know them well either; your remarks about breaking their knees being an effective tactic shows that you haven´t got the faintest idea where the knees of a horse are located... Grin

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 8:10pm

Nor am I convinced that breaking even their fetlocks would be as easy as it's made out to be. It would take an enormous amount of nerve to stand and swing at a ton of animal coming at you at 30 mph carrying a heavily armed man who is also intent on disembowelling you. Also horses are not entirely devoid of intelligence, and are perfectly capable of detecting the danger and avoiding it.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris)