Newbie technique (Read 4662 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Newbie technique
Jan 28th, 2009 at 11:17am

Yo again;
   Though I'm a newbie who's form is still a work in progress, I may have some useful info. for other rookies.  Obviously, slinging is all about form, not arm strength.  I have a terrible throwing arm yet some of my sling shots now travel 130+ yards.  To some that's not impressive, but it looks ok to me.  
   Here are a few basics that may help newbies who don't have as much opportunity to practice as I do.  First, I use slings with three strand pouches like Malik Lund's Appu-sling.  Consequently, I can't rotate the sling around and around to generate power or the projectile falls out.  With that in mind, I start out with my arm fully extended behind me at shoulder height and the sling hanging loose.  From there my shot is one motion, a big arc with a step through follow through.  There are a handful of particulars that are necessary for this form to be successful and relatively simple;
   Start with your left shoulder pointing at the target and your right arm FULLY EXTENDED behind you, at shoulder height, parallel to the ground.  Have your weight distributed equally between your two feet.  With your PALM POINTING UP bring the sling SLOWLY over your head while lifting your rear (right if righthanded) leg and bringing it forward.  Make sure you bring the sling directly over your head for maximum power.  Once directly over your head with the palm still rotated up snap the pouch at your target while finishing your step through.  To aim, grap the target at the end of your swing.  
   To those of you who have played basketball, this method is almost exactly like throwing a sky hook.
If you've released it correctly you'll feel it instantly.  You'll know it's a strike the instant the projectile leaves the sling.  
   I realize that to most of you this information is unnecessary, but to some of the newbies it may be very useful.  Little things like pointing your palm skyward, etc.. can make all of the difference in the world.  Also, if anyone can add useful tips to this, they'd be most welcome.

Rat Man

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Re: Newbie technique
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 12:04pm

well, that method is ONLY good for accuracy, its not good for distance slinging, there are a couple methods out there that if you used them, then you can easily get the projectile to go 400 to 450 yards.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 1:05pm

RM

That description is of a most natural and standard form since it emulates a trebuchet. Your adding of that right leg follow (step) through is really important.   This is a perfect way for a beginner to practice and get the timing straitened out. From then on they can do flourishes to their heart’s content, but that doesn’t mean a new style has to be adopted.
I used this style continuously since age 13 and only changed after switching over to extra long slings. Due to age (71+), I no longer have all my former “regular length” sling faculties.

This style may not give the most potential distance but I believe it gives a consistently very good combination of distance and accuracy.  
And by the way, slightly more than 1/10% of our members have slung anything close to 400 yards.

tom  

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 1:37pm

The technique (straight arm) might be viewed as a kind of apache throw (see the other threads) and I found a similar style a good way to learn. I feel it is a lot safer than anything that involves 'whirling around the head' - it in particularly firmly connects the idea of slinging with actually throwing rather than whirling. I think that in itself is a good lesson to learn.

Mr. Boss wrote on Jan 28th, 2009 at 12:04pm:
well, that method is ONLY good for accuracy, its not good for distance slinging, there are a couple methods out there that if you used them, then you can easily get the projectile to go 400 to 450 yards.

Easily? Really? Splendid!

I'd echo Thomas' reply - maybe two people on this entire forum (anyone else?) can claim to have thrown those kind of distances.

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 2:11pm

RM

Do I understand correctly that your arm does not remain stiffly strait as in the Apache style hitherto described on this forum? When I referred to the trebuchet analogy I did intend to include the human advantage of some elbow action with that overhand cast.

tom                                    

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 3:43pm

Im not saying that I myself slung that far ( Ive only been slinging for a year)a lot of other people can sling that far with enough practice. My usual distance is around 1100 ft, and I havent gotten any farther than that, because of little practice.

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 4:17pm

mrboss

Your distance results are outstanding and cry for some elaboration of your technique. Am I correct about your introduction including the sling length as being 4’-6” folded?

tom                                  

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:09pm

Well, I'd love to reach those distances.

Just out of curiosity, what are you throwing, how heavy is it, and how do you measure the distances?

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:14pm

well, i take slinging practice slowly so that means i try one slinging techqniqe at a time, so i have been practicing distance first of all(when it comes to distance shots , im still able to hit in a general area, and still see where the projectile goes). Once i have mastered distance, i'll start practicing for accuracy. and yes, my sling measures 4 feet, 6 inches folded. ill try to post a pic.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:21pm

wanderer wrote on Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:09pm:
Well, I'd love to reach those distances.

Just out of curiosity, what are you throwing, how heavy is it, and how do you measure the distances?

The ammo i use for those distances are golf balls or a roughly spherical rock, pretty much the same size of a golf ball. the rocks are usually heavier but they are both fine.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 6:27pm

and the way i measure the distances is by standing far away from the edge of a forest or grouping of trees and other things, then after the projectile hits the area i go to google maps and it has its own distance measuring key.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2009 at 4:08pm by Mr. Boss »  

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 12:27am

NOBODY can EASILY get a projectile to go 400 yds. Anything over 200 takes lots of skill, effort and practise.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 7:05pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 31st, 2009 at 12:27am:

NOBODY can EASILY get a projectile to go 400 yds. Anything over 200 takes lots of skill, effort and practise.

i agree that it isnt easy, it takes effort each time i sling, it takes effort each time somone slings a projectile. and 366 yards is my usual distance.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 7:33pm

I am genuinely impressed. In addition to good technique, equipment and ammunition you must also be physically strong. It would be nice to see you on YouTube, also details of your sling and the way you grip the cords.

What projectiles do you use? Have you ever measured your projectile release velocity? For such a long range it must be up around 200 mph.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 8:06pm

ill try to post a vid somewhere in the near future, ill have to borrow a camera. i usually use golf balls or rocks of similiar size and shape. i dont know how to measure projectle realease velocity. what do i need to do that with??

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy)