Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Balearic maker of slings (Read 55482 times)
Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Balearic maker of slings
Reply #75 - May 4th, 2009 at 9:25am

Have you considered growing and using flax for your fiber source .... when spun becomes linen ... but from viewing the various videos looks like you can braid straight fibers.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #76 - May 4th, 2009 at 9:44am

Thank you, yes, that would be really authentic. Never thought about it. I think I'll give it a try after moving north in summer.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #77 - May 4th, 2009 at 4:13pm

Hondero wrote on Jan 25th, 2009 at 1:15pm:
They try accuracy not range, I think fig 8 is a bad style for that art   Wink

So you think figure 8 isn't the best for accuracy? What would you suggest instead? I'm still working on hitting a bucket from 10 feet  Embarrassed

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #78 - May 9th, 2009 at 7:56pm

I use Sisal and Jutte when I am making prototypes for my braided historical slings. For my full blown Historical balearic Slings I use Hemp. Now my hstory and yours are probably several centuries apart Smiley

Not surprisingly I came up with the same conclusion as you did.

Now I use my prototypes for my everyday slinging as well. In short it's all about what ya are looking to do. The modern Balearics seem to love thier Sisal and Related plant Slings.

Marc Adkins

Fundibularius wrote on May 1st, 2009 at 4:51pm:
Quote:
My impression is that for me it was more than a  that I worked with.

[quote]It’s interesting that it says Agaves were brought to the Mediterranean in the 17th century, so the Balearic slingers must have adopted the fiber since that time.

This is what comforts me a bit. Slingers from the Balearic Islands in the centuries before Christ and until the discovery of the Americas must have used other materials anyway, maybe the plants Diego mentioned, or other fibers (nettles, palm, ...), if not rawhide. So, for absolute purists, the "sisal project" goes more to the Aztec (or Apache?) fraction...  

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #79 - May 9th, 2009 at 7:59pm

Around Central Oklahoma it was Yucca glauca. Haven't seen much Yucca up here in NE Oklahoma. Back home ou could see some of the fibers coming off of the leaves.

Marc Adkins

Timothy Potter wrote on May 1st, 2009 at 2:38pm:
Here’s a site with listings of Agave varieties:

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Agavaceae/Agave.html

It’s interesting that it says Agaves were brought to the Mediterranean in the 17th century, so the Balearic slingers must have adopted the fiber since that time.

As to the irritation, I’ve read that many Agave varieties can cause it, but you would have to look up the exact variety that you have to know for sure.

http://books.google.com/books?id=C8xJE2NfQpIC&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=agave+irrita...

This book has a section on Agave sisalana, the Sisal plant, and it says that it can cause skin irritation. Agave Americana, commonly called Century Plant, is probably the most common Agave that I see here in Southern California, and it causes irritation too.

In the San Gabriel Mountains near my home, there are a lot of Yucca whipplei, or “Our Lord’s Candle” Yuccas. Yuccas are in the same family as Agaves. The leaves from these produce a strong, usable fiber, and they don’t irritate the skin (or at least not my skin). In fact, when rubbed in the hands, the crushed leaves work like soap. I haven’t got around to making a Yucca fiber sling, but it’s been on my mind for a while.

On a slightly side note, here’s video of Sisal rope production that might be of interest:

[url=[/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ztA1Ea03g0&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ztA1Ea03g0&feature=related[/url][/url]

I wish I had one of those handy put-the-leaf-in-take-the-fiber-out machines, or whatever they’re really called.

-Timothy Potter

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #80 - May 13th, 2009 at 5:23pm

Hemp must be ok, even in the eyes of superpurists.  Roll Eyes

So many "authentic", so many possible materials. One of a hundred aspects that make the sling so fascinating.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #81 - May 13th, 2009 at 6:56pm

Absolutely, particularly for those of us intrested in historical slinging

Marc Adkins

Fundibularius wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 5:23pm:
Hemp must be ok, even in the eyes of superpurists.  Roll Eyes

So many "authentic", so many possible materials. One of a hundred aspects that make the sling so fascinating.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #82 - May 13th, 2009 at 10:21pm

Fundibularius wrote on May 4th, 2009 at 9:44am:
Thank you, yes, that would be really authentic. Never thought about it. I think I'll give it a try after moving north in summer.

Have a look at the following link:
http://www.primitiveways.com/bowstring.html

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #83 - May 14th, 2009 at 5:02am

Great, that looks easy and effective. Thank you!

Makes me look forward to becoming a flax farmer. Of course, only if "She who must be obeyed" will grant me a little corner in the garden to use for the "slinging obsession".  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #84 - May 15th, 2009 at 12:52am

I planted flax last year and got very little to try and do anything with.  This year it has filled in and looks very good.  Even if it does not work out it still looks good in the herb garden.

IP Logged

HHornblower

Slinging Rocks!

The Netherlands
Reply #85 - May 17th, 2009 at 10:34am

Justgeorge,

On  these Balearic slings, how do you introduce the extra fiber without the ends ending up outside the braid?

Regards,

Hornblower

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #86 - May 17th, 2009 at 10:59pm

Once you get about 5 inches into the sling you have fibers ending until you finish at the other end of your sling.  I think the secret is that you give the fibers a good twist to the outside or away from the sling as you bring the group of fibers into the next braid.  The twist helps but even with that you will still have some fibers poking out that will need to be pulled or trimed.  Now if you are talking about the middle of the fibers sticking out where you add them I think the twist to the outside makes all the difference.  That is the best I can give you.  I have had no real training other then trial and error and watching video.
Good luck!  Or if you don't believe in luck spend alot of time getting your fiber just right before starting and then practice getting the fibers in when and where you need them.

IP Logged

slangdeg
Descens

be the rock

georgia, usa
Reply #87 - May 21st, 2009 at 3:20pm

is there a tutorial showing how to do the 5 strand balearic braid?

IP Logged

HHornblower

Slinging Rocks!

The Netherlands
Reply #88 - May 21st, 2009 at 5:18pm

There aren't any tutorials for the 5-strand Balearic sling yet, I'm eagerly waiting for one too. Unfortunately I don't have any time to experiment myself (Exams).  I am very interested in the action of taking multiple strands to create a single, thicker strand, and consequently still have 5 strands left with the same thickness!  I really can't think of a way. Justgeorge, you are an authority on this subject, have you got any pictures of the increasing thickness process?

Cheers,

Hornblowerr

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #89 - May 21st, 2009 at 8:04pm

I am am not even close to an authority with only three of these completed.  I could put together something and maybe in the process someone could give some true help on the subject. 
I am still trying to wear out my last sling and so I have not started another.  Maybe its time! I still learn things everytime I watch Diego brading.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)