Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Balearic maker of slings (Read 55478 times)
justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Re: Balearic maker of slings
Reply #45 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:01pm

Rockman, Thank you for the info. about the new video showing Diego.  I added it to my favoites.

Wanderer,  I do live to far north.  However, I have seen the stuff you are talking about as I am a survival freak and always keep an eye out for usefull plant life where ever I might be.  I was going to harvest some the last time I was down south but my wife dose not share my passion for making cordage when you can just buy string in the store.  The stalks I remember were not as big as the ones that Diego was using but it could still work.
I have found ways of making the sisal twine I am working with line up better and this makes a cleaner looking sling.

Hondero,  you explian things much better than I do.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #46 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 8:43am

I finally got around to checking out something that had been bugging me about that Agave that Diego was using.

Since it was presumably introduced from Mexico, ie. after the Spanish conquest, it would not be appropriate for the ultra conservative Roman period reenactment types Wink

There is a nice site on the plant species in the Balearic Islands here: http://herbarivirtual.uib.es/eng-ub/especie/4558.html

Amongst other things it has lookup by Spanish and Catalan common names. Perhaps it might help with identifying the other fibers seen in the video? Hondero mentioned he knew the common name for one of those plants.

I wish I knew what he did to prepare that leaf to pull out such nice clean fiber, it worked a whole lot better than when I did it.  Wink

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #47 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 10:55am

A clip of me trying to emulate Diego's style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l297i5Q3Pw

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #48 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 12:45pm

I was just now suddenly able to do some distance slinging, and found that when I was able to sling in the correct direction, I could win a few meters over my normal overhand throws.  But I wold need a lot of practice to avoid all the "flyers", wich goes in all kind of directions Smiley

The video(s) has given me many ideas for the time in the future when I shall try to make a sling from stinging nettle fibres.  Wonder when that will be? Wink
timann

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #49 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 2:45pm

wanderer wrote on Feb 8th, 2009 at 8:43am:
I finally got around to checking out something that had been bugging me about that Agave that Diego was using.

Since it was presumably introduced from Mexico, ie. after the Spanish conquest, it would not be appropriate for the ultra conservative Roman period reenactment types Wink

There is a nice site on the plant species in the Balearic Islands here: http://herbarivirtual.uib.es/eng-ub/especie/4558.html

Amongst other things it has lookup by Spanish and Catalan common names. Perhaps it might help with identifying the other fibers seen in the video? Hondero mentioned he knew the common name for one of those plants.

I wish I knew what he did to prepare that leaf to pull out such nice clean fiber, it worked a whole lot better than when I did it.  Wink

Finally I´ve found the name of the third plant that Diego braided and that winkleried was interested in. In the second video appear the name in the text. It is the spanish "Torbisco" and english "Spurge flax". In the herbal site you mention is this plant: http://herbarivirtual.uib.es/eng-uib/especie/4647.html

The second plant I think is well known, "esparto", and this the link: http://herbarivirtual.uib.es/eng-uib/especie/4030.html

Happy braiding  Smiley

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #50 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 5:32pm

This has been one of the most informative posts yet.  I have watch diego making the pita sling at least 50 times while at the same time making my own sling.  He has lunched my sling braiding skills light years from where I was.  I will have to post some video clips on youtube showing how to get around some of the obsticals I incountered that others might be stuck on.
Agian, thank you!

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #51 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 10:06pm

I thought the second one was esparto, thanks for confirming it. Spurge flax, Going to have to look that one up. Thanks

Marc Adkins

Hondero wrote on Feb 8th, 2009 at 2:45pm:
wanderer wrote on Feb 8th, 2009 at 8:43am:

I wish I knew what he did to prepare that leaf to pull out such nice clean fiber, it worked a whole lot better than when I did it.  Wink

Finally I´ve found the name of the third plant that Diego braided and that winkleried was interested in. In the second video appear the name in the text. It is the spanish "Torbisco" and english "Spurge flax". In the herbal site you mention is this plant: http://herbarivirtual.uib.es/eng-uib/especie/4647.html

The second plant I think is well known, "esparto", and this the link: http://herbarivirtual.uib.es/eng-uib/especie/4030.html

Happy braiding  Smiley

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #52 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 10:12pm

I finished my second Balearic sling last night.  just as I was getting toward the end I accidently got fibers from one plait in the wrong plait.  AND it work great.  This really makes things alot easyer.  Before I learned this I tried to plan ahead so that fibers would be added to make things flow just right.  I reviewed Master Diego making his sling/art once again and I think he did that at least once during the video.  I still need work on the split pouch (well the whole thing).  I did pick up a few tricks for number three.  Another thing to pay attention to is keeping the same tension and twist to each plait.  when I study the braid closely I notice that my right hand is making the twist a little tighter.  This was never a problem when making braids from string.  Now I have to go give it a test run. 

DSC00065.JPG (158 KB | )
DSC00065.JPG

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #53 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 10:13pm

Top view

DSC00066.JPG (142 KB | )
DSC00066.JPG

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #54 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 7:25am

Justgeorge,

That's very nice work! It seems perfectly reasonable to mingle fibers between the different strands, but it didn't occur to me that it might be a deliberate feature of the manufacture, 

I'm still a little puzzled about the 'critical strand' that was mentioned in the video. Any ideas about that?

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #55 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 11:36am

Funny you should say that!  As they all look critical to me.  I still don't know if I have the split correct.  I really need to get my hands on one constructed right.  There is one strand that looks prone to wear, I just don't know at this time.  My first sling of this type is not even worhty to put a rock in.  I will put this sling to the test even though I see a number of problems with it.  In time if I can't learn more about the 'critical strand' I will start cutting to find out.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #56 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 8:15pm

The sling looks fine. Very nice for your second attemp.
The hard part is over.
Now you must master the technique with, say, 40 years of practice. (A guess of the time Diego has made slings) 

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #57 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 12:36pm

justgeorge wrote on Feb 13th, 2009 at 11:36am:
Funny you should say that!  As they all look critical to me.  I still don't know if I have the split correct.  I really need to get my hands on one constructed right.  

As it seems that the Balearics slings take a little in arriving Sad, I have asked a friend who lives in a town near Madrid, and that knows how to braid slings Balearic type, some photos of one of his slings. According Diego the transition part between the retention cord and the pouch seems to be most weak and difficult to made, and I don´t know if the sling of my friend is made with the proper technique at this part since the photo is not very clear for me there, but in any case the sling has a wonderful look. I´d like to be able to braid slings like him.

[right]...

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #58 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 1:32pm

wow now thats a sling I want one hmm time to start making one i guess very nice love the leather freaking nice

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #59 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 1:56pm

Very nice looking sling!  It looks like each plait has less twist then the slings made by Diego.  The sling flows very nice.  Alot of attention to detail from start to finish.  After seeing this one up close I would think that like hand writing a trained eye could tell who made it.  This sling looks like something that should be displayed under glass.

Ok, I am going to send another email to the federation.  Or does anyone know someone I can contact about purchasing or even just borrowing a quality sling from.

Thank you for posting the photographs

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)