Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Balearic maker of slings (Read 55483 times)
Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Balearic maker of slings
Jan 24th, 2009 at 12:19pm

I donīt know if you have seen this video on a maker of slings from the Balearic Islands, Diego Camuņas, that in addition is an excellent slinger, champion of the Balearic Islands in 1988 and 1989, and besides owner of numerous trophies in diverse competitions. Diego is from a village in the north of Mallorca (the main island of the Balearics). The video is in Spanish but Iīll summarize the content. Diego speaks about the manufacture of the slings, possibly as they were made in ancient times. The first sling that he makes is of sisal, and begins by the obtaining of vegetal fibers from the plant. It is the best sling and the one that more manufacture time needs, around ten hours, including the extraction of vegetal fibers. The second sling is of esparto-grass, that previously is crushed to make it flexible. This sling needs one hour and is very rustic but very effective. The third is of a native plant of the Balearic islands, very rustic also but very resistant and its manufacture is very old. Later he speaks of the throwing technique, that is easy to understand seeing the video. All the family participates in the demonstration, although only he is a good slinger.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=-ouNR6djZy4

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Balearic maker of slings
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 3:19pm

Amazing video! Thank you Smiley

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 3:29pm

I saw it and rated it 5 stars. Awesome video.

This guy even make his own cords, I buy mine at the hardware store  Embarrassed lol

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 7:23pm

This is the best on youtube and any other place I have been able to find.  Thank You!  From studying photographs of these slings I knew that is how they were making them.  I would love to see more like this.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 11:58am

Good video.
teach those kids fig8 and they'd be half decent Wink

Fascinating to see sling making from first principles.
So just how do I start making my own paracord ? lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 1:15pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 25th, 2009 at 11:58am:

teach those kids fig8 and they'd be half decent Wink

They try accuracy not range, I think fig 8 is a bad style for that art   Wink

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 5:55pm

Does he give the name of the Third plant Hondero?
Also isthier anyway to get ahold of him? Yeah I'm looking for several slings actaully made in the Balaeric Islands.

Marc Adkins

Hondero wrote on Jan 24th, 2009 at 12:19pm:
I donīt know if you have seen this video on a maker of slings from the Balearic Islands, Diego Camuņas, that in addition is an excellent slinger, champion of the Balearic Islands in 1988 and 1989, and besides owner of numerous trophies in diverse competitions. Diego is from a village in the north of Mallorca (the main island of the Balearics). The video is in Spanish but Iīll summarize the content. Diego speaks about the manufacture of the slings, possibly as they were made in ancient times. The first sling that he makes is of sisal, and begins by the obtaining of vegetal fibers from the plant. It is the best sling and the one that more manufacture time needs, around ten hours, including the extraction of vegetal fibers. The second sling is of esparto-grass, that previously is crushed to make it flexible. This sling needs one hour and is very rustic but very effective. The third is of a native plant of the Balearic islands, very rustic also but very resistant and its manufacture is very old. Later he speaks of the throwing technique, that is easy to understand seeing the video. All the family participates in the demonstration, although only he is a good slinger.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=-ouNR6djZy4

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 7:21pm

That's certainly the best video I have yet seen as far as the manufacture is concerned. I wish I could cope with the language Wink.

Thank's for the post, Hondero.

IP Logged

ElliotB

Slinging Rocks! And Loving
It!

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 9:16pm

Made quite a crack, didn't it?
My only question is how he managed to get his pouch to be so stiff, so that it would not flex and let the projectile drop through. Maybe a property of the juices from the plant he used?
Any other answers? I'd kinda like to be able to do this as it would mean I wouldn't have to weave a pouch every time for mine  Grin

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 9:45pm

Sisal is a pretty stiff fiber. I have to work mine a bit before i start casting after I have braided a new one.

Marc Adkins

ElliotB wrote on Jan 25th, 2009 at 9:16pm:
Made quite a crack, didn't it?
My only question is how he managed to get his pouch to be so stiff, so that it would not flex and let the projectile drop through. Maybe a property of the juices from the plant he used?
Any other answers? I'd kinda like to be able to do this as it would mean I wouldn't have to weave a pouch every time for mine  Grin

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 11:44am

I relly like the use of three different fibers. That man knows his stuff. Awesome video

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 12:33pm

winkleried wrote on Jan 25th, 2009 at 5:55pm:
Also isthier anyway to get ahold of him? Yeah I'm looking for several slings actaully made in the Balaeric Islands.

Marc Adkins

Yes, he give the name of the third plant but it is a local name that I have never heard. He braid the sling with the rind of the plant, that says it is as resistant as the leather. Perhaps you can recognize the plant in the video, I  canīt. Iīll try to get in touch Diego as also I want to get some of his slings.

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 7:19pm

Thank you Hondero !

Es una lástima que solamente comprendo pedazos de lo que dice Diego. No abre la boca con su cigarrillo.
Especially when he seems to give important information about the poach.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 8:46pm

A quick translation for our spanish- challenged friends. Audio quality is rather poor. Ahhhhh!!! remember the good all days, when we used to save data on tapes?

2:10- This is the most expensive of all slings, on the work and price.

2:26- This sling need 10 hours of work, one man job, without a partner. (he later mentions the sling is 4 thousand pesetas)

2:55- This sling can last, being abused, up to ten years. The other ones last less.

3:20- We start here on the finger loop, braiding up, the same thickness all the way to the pouch. Dividing into 5 strand on both sides

3:40- The secret behind the pouch is this strand, this one right here. If this strand breaks, the sling falls apart. That is the reason the sling has this strand on the right side, because the left side is were the sling wears.

4:18- The release cord is fatter (refering to the place the slings wears). This side (loop string) we start with 5 strands, here we work with 10.

4:30- Then you start to reduce the strands up to the release knot.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 9:45pm

Thanks, I'll take a closer lookand try to listen to the dialoge and see if I can understand the name.

Marc Adkins

Hondero wrote on Jan 26th, 2009 at 12:33pm:
winkleried wrote on Jan 25th, 2009 at 5:55pm:

Marc Adkins

Yes, he give the name of the third plant but it is a local name that I have never heard. He braid the sling with the rind of the plant, that says it is as resistant as the leather. Perhaps you can recognize the plant in the video, I  canīt. Iīll try to get in touch Diego as also I want to get some of his slings.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man)