Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Balearic maker of slings (Read 55474 times)
Rueben
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Re: Balearic maker of slings
Reply #15 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 11:08pm

That is an awesome video, thank you for pointing it out Hondero.

I expect that the standard braided design is quite old. I noticed that one of the slings he made had three straps and is similar to the sling described in Reconstruction of Etruscan sling. I wonder how far back in time the sling making methods he uses could be traced?

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #16 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 8:01am

Thanks rockman,

but what does he say after 8:03 about the poach ? Seems important.

And why does he say that the women use another style than the men ? I don't see the difference.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #17 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:06am

Alsatian wrote on Jan 26th, 2009 at 7:19pm:
Es una lástima que solamente comprendo pedazos de lo que dice Diego. No abre la boca con su cigarrillo.

Ja ja, yo tampoco le entiendo bien a veces. Tienen un acento entre balear y andaluz, quizás cubano.
Besides, the echo of the room makes more difficult to understand him.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #18 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:12am

"A quick translation for our spanish- challenged friends. Audio quality is rather poor. Ahhhhh!!! remember the good all days, when we used to save data on tapes?"

Thanks for your translation to the English, Rockman, you are better bilingual than I.

Gracias amigo.
Hondero

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #19 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 11:22am

They and the Children throw at diffrent distances than the men.

Marc Adkins

Alsatian wrote on Jan 27th, 2009 at 8:01am:
Thanks rockman,

And why does he say that the women use another style than the men ? I don't see the difference.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #20 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 11:28am

Ok other than that pouch is what the Balearics call an "Egyptian" pouch and it seems to be favored in the Middle of Mallorica.
I know I can document the braid to the medieval period based on a fragment that was found in England.

Marc Adkins

Rueben wrote on Jan 26th, 2009 at 11:08pm:
That is an awesome video, thank you for pointing it out Hondero.

I expect that the standard braided design is quite old. I noticed that one of the slings he made had three straps and is similar to the sling described in Reconstruction of Etruscan sling. I wonder how far back in time the sling making methods he uses could be traced?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #21 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 1:43pm

[quote author=Alsatian link=1232817549/15#16 date=1233061307]Thanks rockman,

8:03- If the rock is fat, the pouch is more open. With smaller rocks, the pouch is more closed. You have to put the rock in the middle of the pouch, if we put the rock in the middle, it´s perfect (pointing the release cord). If this is too long, when we throw it hurts you here (pointing to his wrist).
The good stuff with the sling comes when the pouch is even.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #22 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 3:12pm

Thanks Rockman,

but in English I don't understand it either. Cheesy

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #23 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 3:59pm

Yo tampoco entiendo todo lo que dice Don Diego. Su acento es mas parecido a un cubano que a un Espanol.
El llama "pala" al lugar donde se aloja el proyectil. Aqui en Peru le decimos "bolsa" o "canasta"

Dice algo asi:

Si la piedra es gorda, abrimos la pala. Con piedras mas pequenas, cerramos mas la pala. Tienes que poner la piedra en el centro de la pala. Si la pones en el medio queda perfecto.  Si esto es muy largo, cuando lanzas te lastima aqui. (Apunta a su mano)
Lo bueno de la honda viene cuando la pala esta igual.   

Saludos a Espana.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #24 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:46pm

Does anyone know if Diego is selling these slings?  If so, how do I make contact with him to make the purchase.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #25 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 11:48pm

Thanks to the Spanish speakers for their help in decoding the comments. Smiley

It's a tremendously interesting video.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #26 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 2:44pm

justgeorge wrote on Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:46pm:
Does anyone know if Diego is selling these slings?  If so, how do I make contact with him to make the purchase.  

I have phoned Diego about the selling of slings. He is a very busy man since it makes the slings for the Balearic Sling Federation and he does not sell them directly except at his home. He says that the best way to buy his slings is through the Federation, so I´ve spoken with Mateo Cañellas, the President, and he confirms to me that there are any problems, just to send an email to the Federation and they send the slings to you. If you want that the sling is customized, of a particular length or adapted to the stature of the slinger, just indicate the messures. Evidently a customized sling can take a little more to be made. Diego recommends the sling made of sisal and a plait of five elements, that is very nice and durable.

The Web of the Federation is:  www.tirdefona.org/index.htm

and it has a version in English, in which you will find easily a contact email.

Luck,
Hondero

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #27 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 11:36pm

Sweet, Going to have to look into it

Marc Adkins

Hondero wrote on Jan 28th, 2009 at 2:44pm:
justgeorge wrote on Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:46pm:
Does anyone know if Diego is selling these slings?  If so, how do I make contact with him to make the purchase.  

I have phoned Diego about the selling of slings. He is a very busy man since it makes the slings for the Balearic Sling Federation and he does not sell them directly except at his home. He says that the best way to buy his slings is through the Federation, so I´ve spoken with Mateo Cañellas, the President, and he confirms to me that there are any problems, just to send an email to the Federation and they send the slings to you. If you want that the sling is customized, of a particular length or adapted to the stature of the slinger, just indicate the messures. Evidently a customized sling can take a little more to be made. Diego recommends the sling made of sisal and a plait of five elements, that is very nice and durable.

The Web of the Federation is:  www.tirdefona.org/index.htm

and it has a version in English, in which you will find easily a contact email.

Luck,
Hondero

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #28 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 3:02pm

very impresive definily added it to arcive thanks

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #29 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 6:08pm

Very nice!

Though sisal always seems to chafe my fingers

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Kick)