Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Video of Roman surgery for sling injuries (Read 5793 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Video of Roman surgery for sling injuries
Jan 11th, 2009 at 6:47am

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Video of Roman surgery for sling injuries
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 7:03am

nice link Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 10:26am

Very nice.

Can't wait for the trepanning installment. Like the notion of the variable sized plugs - expresses confidence that the patient will live  Wink

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 4:52pm

OH YEAH !! Real nice. Operation was a success but the patient died anyway.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 9:35pm

anybody else notice the guy on the table wasn't moving or bleeding or moaning when they pulled the glande out of him?  Shocked I guess the wound was a fatal one then, lol. Slingers 1, patient 0.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:32am

it was probably the side of a (hopefully) dead pig. They're great analogs for humans in situations like that. Scary isn't it??

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 6:46am

Apparently humans and pigs taste the same as well. Some canibal tribes used to refer to human meat as "Long Pig".
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2009 at 2:07pm by Lycurgus »  

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 5:49am

To me it looked like a dummy made from synthetic material, silikon or so which is used for first aid practical training. But of course, more realistic would have been someone fixed on the desk by four strong assistants and crying out with a stick between his teeth. To me it was interesting enough. A good sample for the better use of honey than spoiling your teeth by eating it  Wink

funda iucunda

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 3:39pm

Completely off topic,funda iucunda, the best way to deal with the sugar in honey is making it ferment away....

IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 4:14am

Quote:
Completely off topic,funda iucunda, the best way to deal with the sugar in honey is making it ferment away....

Couldn't agree more, only problem being my mead won't be ready for about 12 months (Just in time for Yule) and is currently still bubbling away nicely on a window ledge. Smiley

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:07pm

OK, I forgot the mead. I apologise. May be the Romans used it for tranquilizing the patient during extraction of glandes.... at least when the wine was drunk away.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 3:46pm

Very interesting,

I enjoyed the demonstration, but was a little skeptical regarding the use of plugs in Lew of stitches. I changed my mind however after speaking with my girlfriend who is both an emergency medical responder, and trained as a ER nurse. She pointed out that using progressively smaller plugs would allow the wound to drain properly and hence stem off infection. Go figure

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 4:39pm

It would also allow any bleeding to stop (packing the wound) and help keep the honey in. You just have to remember to change it every few days.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 12:01am

This just goes to show you how far ahead of their time the Romans were. Aside from plugs of various sizes being used to help prevent the build-up and festering of excess bodily fluids, which are a haven to harmful bacteria, the use of honey in the wound countered the majority of the drawbacks of using plugs in the wound; as opposed to simply suturing the wound. Honey is a natural antibiotic that actually rivals the power of modern antibiotics in effectiveness and efficiency. Some types of honey even create a form of hydrogen peroxide when diluted.

I usually put honey on cuts whenever it's handy, it tastes better than Neosporin  Cheesy

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)