Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
has anyone made a ghillie suit? (Read 7474 times)
Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
has anyone made a ghillie suit?
Jan 8th, 2009 at 5:55am

Has anyone ever tried to make a ghillie suit or own one?

Heres some history if you have no idea what im going on about : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghillie_suit

The ghillie suit, made up by Scottish gamekeepers was originally made as a 3d camouflage instead of the linear. It resembles heavy foliage, includes sticks and sways in the wind just as the natural stuff would. Practically these should be doubled sided, one a darker colour and the next a light colour. Its the ultimate camouflage.  Its main use is for snipers, marines, bow hunters and the not so primitive riflemen. I imagine it would also be used for military scouts.

They are often coloured by being dragged on the dirt by a car, chucked in the mud or colour died to match the local surroundings. The wearer even discontinues showering and putting deodorants on for the 3 days before the day comes to use them. 

To test this, get a faded tennis ball and place it on the ground whilst sprinkling enough 1-2 day old grass cuttings to cover it. Now walk back around 10 meters and you most likely will lose track of the of the shape of the ball or barely see it if you were really trying.

If you have done this test, you should be amazed. Or at least slap yourself in the face and pretend  to be amazed.
The down side to these for the hunters or snipers is that the suit is very heavy, and can get to temps of 50 degrees (120 °F). Extremely vulnerable to fire.

Heres a video on how to make one :http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=s_iqqy4Fgm4

Im thinking about making one soon, apparently potato sacks arent so easy to find. If i were to find these bags, could anyone assist me?

Anyway, who wants to buy a real one from a shop? the custom built ones are better looking than the real ones anyway!

I challenge you to build a ghillie suit for under $20 bucks and then post a picture of yourself wearing the suit and then a "find the man wearing the 3d camoflauge" picture.  Maybe a small competition for bragging rights?

To entice you into this project, can you sling in these suits!!!?!??!?!   

Good luck!

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Re: has anyone made a ghillie suit?
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 6:02am

i forgot to include a picture *slaps head*

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 7:24am

I have made a ghillie suit... two actually.  One was completely from scratch with scrounged materials, and the other with some lightweight jute that I'd purchased specifically for the project.  I don't have any pictures of my old one, and it dissappeared from my parents house while I was overseas in 2001-2002 (I still think my mom threw it away), but I should be able to get a few up of my new one.  That being said, both of mine where of the standard type used by U.S. Military snipers, with no burlap on the front to facilitate a crawling stalk.  A lot of (most of) the comercially available ones are made for an upright stalk.  I first attached a net to the back of the base clothing (old BDUs) and then tied the burlap and jute to the net.  You don't have to do it that way, but it makes it easier to modify later if you do.
    Could I sling in it?  Not with a figure-8 I'm sure, but maybe with a sidearm.  I dunno, never tried!  I'm sure I could find a way Wink

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

TimdaSling
Descens

wach my sling!!

Heerenveen, Nethelands
Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 7:54am

Iīm thinking of making one just need the materials, the jute isnīt very hard to get here.
all the how to make manuals use nets is that the easiest way to attach it?and what's the best way to paint the jute?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 4:41pm

I'm thinking I could probably manage to put something together. Should be pretty cheap, and I'm sure I could do it with stuff I have around the house and gathered outside.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 2:49am

TimdaSling wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 7:54am:
Iīm thinking of making one just need the materials, the jute isnīt very hard to get here.
all the how to make manuals use nets is that the easiest way to attach it?and what's the best way to paint the jute?

Yeah its easier to use the netting because u just have to tie on the single bits of string. If not you would probaly have to sew on every single thread.
Probaly dye the thread in even lots. of course use colours in your area.

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 12:42am

Our local army surplus store sells light mesh hoodies specifically for making ghillie suits. they also sell bundles of different colored string.

In addition, they sell burlap sacks, but there are other sources.

Specifically, try to find a feed store in your area. Some types of livestock feed (like corn/molasses mix) are still sold in burlap bags. A gardening shop may also have some.

I haven't made a suit yet, but I'd like to try. My current project (besides my atlatl) is a decent-looking suit of paintball armor. Sewing it by hand takes a looooooong time.

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 4:21am

hmm, maybe, im still having trouble getting the burlap bags. I saw a bakers delights ad (dont know if you have that in where ever you guys live) which picured the wheat being stored in burlap bags.

camo

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 12:05pm

have a look through past topics I remember quite an extensive ghillie suit thread  from last year or the year before.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 6:51am

Having made one inn the Corp. I can tell you where to get burlap very cheap. Go to a Nursery. They have tons of the stuff and will usually sell ya some cheep.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 4:42am

cool, thanks

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 1:18am

I have not made one yet, but I do plan on making one in the future. If I do, It'll most likely be a poncho-like design to cut down on heat build-up, and use a lot of jute twine, rather than burlap, since it's quicker (No plucking out all the horizontal threads! Wink)

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 3:38am

yeah im using jute twine at the moment as well. i have been busy recently and havent found the time to find fabric dyes. Im making a whole body suit though. I might as well go all in  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 4:57pm

Camo sling we did not use dye. We just used spray paint. That way you can  tailor it to your environment better.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 1:16am

point taken

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)