Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Gdansk Sling (Read 19519 times)
StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Re: Gdnask Sling
Reply #15 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 9:30pm

It's all right Marc - we just thought you had a stutter; not a broken spellchecker Grin

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 4:42pm

Staffslinger,

does the Latin saying in the bottom line of your maikls mean "If slings will be forbidden then only the outlaws will have a sling"?

funda iucunda

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #17 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 5:05pm

"If slings are outlawed, then only outlaws will have slings"

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #18 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 9:26pm

What he said.  David that is.  I thought it was apropo...  I'm going to translate it into other "appropriate" languages - Philistine Grin, Greek, Persian...

Another one that would be fun to translate would be "You can have my sling when you pry it from my cold dead fingers."

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:41am

Slings don't kill people, stones do.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 11:36am

Quote:
The proper spelling is Gdansk.

well yeah, I suspect you're the only one who didn't realise this -  lol we all have bad keyboard days.

Interesting looking sling though.
So with the shaped glandes does it help in any way ?
I'm guessing it might also be good for golf balls - cut down on the spin maybe ?
Like slinging a knuckle ball ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 6:41pm

I was thinking about golf balls when I was up on the stack today. anybody know th eweight in grams of a golf ball. I was supposed to be in the office this week but I'm back in the field so I haven't had a chance to get out and try this sling with some egg shaped lead sinkers I picked up. Golf ball might be a bit big, but I'll try it and see what happens.

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 11:36am:
Quote:
The proper spelling is Gdansk.

well yeah, I suspect you're the only one who didn't realise this -  lol we all have bad keyboard days.

Interesting looking sling though.
So with the shaped glandes does it help in any way ?
I'm guessing it might also be good for golf balls - cut down on the spin maybe ?
Like slinging a knuckle ball ?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #22 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 7:49pm

Approx. 45 grams

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #23 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 9:03pm

Thanks Aussie

Marc Adkins
Aussie wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 7:49pm:
Approx. 45 grams

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 11:31am

Quote:
Golf ball might be a bit big,

but you could make the ring a bit bigger

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #25 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 6:06pm

Could, but the point is to try and stay as close to the original as possible, until we learn what it can and cannot do. Once we have that baseline then we can start experimenting.

We have a very unique sling design here, lets see what it can do.
as I mentioned in previous posts, this design may have something to do with delivary of shaped ammunition, but we won't know until we put it to the test. Or another possibility is maybe the experts got it wrong and it's not a sling, but a bit off of something else that rotted away.

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 4th, 2009 at 11:31am:
Quote:
Golf ball might be a bit big,

but you could make the ring a bit bigger

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #26 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 8:02pm

Tried using golf balls in the Gdansk Sling. Didn't work, they kept rolling out in the windup stage. My guess is that they were too big. From my notes the diameter of a golf ball in SI units is 9 cm.

I also tried some egg shaped lead sinkers. I had two sizes available. The first weighed 13 grams, the second set weighed 57 grams. Probably need to get the length and width in SI units.

I had the opposite problem with the 13 gram (3/4 oz) sinkers. They were too small. stayed put during intial windup but during the release stage they were real erratic during the release. By this I mean they would either release early or late. They definately wouldn't release when I wanted them too. I think thier s

I tried the 57 (2 Oz.) gram sinkers next. First set of casts I tried orienting them point first through the pouch. Lets just say this wasn't real optimum and I have another slinging horror story that involved a close call.

The next set of casts involved laying the sinker so that the short axis was directly across from the thongs that attach to the pouch and the long axis facing the direction of the cast. Yep that definately worked. Sinker flew like a champ point first and impacted on the ground that way. I even managed to recover it a few minutes later.

I didn't measure the range. The main reson is my back porch is on a hill and my back yard slopes down then starts climbing back up. Net weekend if I can get to the river when it is way down I will try slinging th elenght of it and see what kind of range I can get with the sinkers.

Casting style was Byzantine, might also try underhand with it as well.

Ok here is where things start getting intresting. so far preliminary testing shows that this sling will work, just need to fine tune the ammunition source. Based on archelogical evidence we know that early europens, Say Neolithic to Bronze agish seemed to prefer ammuntion in a wide weight range. The Red Crag Artifact weighed in at 0.5 ounce (9 grams).In the Journal of the British Archelogical Association (1864 Pg 75) Two excavated sling stones are mentioned. The first weighs 7 ounces (150 grams) the second weighs in at 12  ounces (300 grams). And this is just in the British Isles

We do know as well that the Greeks and early Romans used lead glandes. However no known reliable reference has mentioned the use of lead bullets in the medieval period . In the case of this sling near the end of the 10th century. Are we missing a valuable piece to this puzzle? Is this sling design optimised to actually use lead ammuntion?

More study is definately needed.

Marc Adkins
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2009 at 12:31am by winkleried »  

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #27 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 12:48am

Hi Marc,

I also have a feeling that the experts got it wrong and the item is not in fact a sling at all. I found the original Polish article fairly unconvincing and "bitty". It had the feel of an assignment knocked together the night before it was due and by someone who was not at all comfortable with the subject, casting about for quotes to give it a bit of credibility.

Regards,

Aussie

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #28 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 1:39am

Yeah and the article by Michal Gradowski not even touching on it's unique nature definately is odd.
I fully agree about the Krystyna Nadolska article. I thank any of us on this forum could have done a better job than that in half the time ;( But welcome to academics.
But the kick is the thing does sling albeit some ultra specilised and tuned ammunition..............
Anyway lets see what happens, and who knows get enough experienced slingers looking at it and maybe we can figure this bleeping thing out Smiley

Yea I'm trying to be optimistic. Now ifI can just get the Gradowski article to cut and paste into my research paper Sad ( yep I'm trying to work on it before I hit the hay)
Anyway hope you are staying cool Aussie

Marc Adkisn

Aussie wrote on Feb 8th, 2009 at 12:48am:
Hi Marc,

I also have a feeling that the experts got it wrong and the item is not in fact a sling at all. I found the original Polish article fairly unconvincing and "bitty". It had the feel of an assignment knocked together the night before it was due and by someone who was not at all comfortable with the subject, casting about for quotes to give it a bit of credibility.

Regards,

Aussie

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #29 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 4:47pm

suggestion: CUM FUNDAE PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDAS HABEBUNT

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)