Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Build-along for the 5-strand woven paracord sling (Read 68950 times)
peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Build-along for the 5-strand woven paracord sling
Nov 6th, 2008 at 6:06am

(Admin:  If you wish, you have my blessing to add this tutorial to the "Advice and How-to" section of the site.)

With earnest thanks to Stormdrane of EDCforums.com, whose design I modified to arrive at this one, I present this tutorial that shows how to make a paracord sling with a solid, cupped pouch.  I just now decided that I was tired of linking people to EDCforums to see these instructions when they really should reside here at a dedicated SLINGING website.  Cheesy

This might bear more popularity if more people learn about it.  (It's fairly easy to do, with no special knot knowledge or experience required.)

When Stormdrane graciously posted his instructions for how to make a 3-strand sheet-bend paracord sling, I set to work immediately on making one... then a few.

And while I loved it, I never really did use it.  I felt the immediate need to make the pouch wider (his was a 3-strand sheet-bend pouch; this is a 5-strand), so as to retain the projectile more securely.  I wanted it to have the ability to be more cup-like.

This is the result of my experimentation, and since I have had at least one request to post a "tutorial," here is my go at doing that.  Instructions for each photo will be at the top of the photo.

Good luck!

Begin with a length of (ungutted) paracord.  I am sorry I don't have an exact length to tell you, since I didn't keep track, but it ought to be about 8-9 feet to be on the safe side.  (You can always cut it down when you are finishing it.)
Fold the cord like this.  You will be creating five lengths that are doubled next to each other.

This project is done with full symmetry through the center point, so do the exact same thing to both sides.  (You can do this one side at a time, of course, but keep track of the strands.)  Take the bight that lies next to each working end, and lay it on top of the bight next to it.

"Lasso" around the two bights with the working end.  (Make your work look exactly like you see here.)

Tuck the working end (they are short in this example but will be about 4 feet long on a live specimen) over itself and then down through both of the bights

Here is what it will look like with both sides of the pouch done.
IMPORTANT:  Take careful note of that strand that is running diagonally from low-left to high-right.  That is your middle-most single strand.  When you flip the pouch over to begin weaving the next step, make sure it is the center strand!  From there it should be easy to see which are the outer-most and second-outer-most strands.

FLIP THE PIECE OVER.  A moment ago, you were looking at the back of the pouch.  You will now be looking at the front of the pouch.  You can tell one from the other because when looking into the pouch, you will see the working ends coming out of the bights "toward" you.

This section should be at least 4.5" - 5.5" long.  (It is shown here shorter than it should be.)    You will need to make the corresponding lengths of the strands in the pouch approximately equal in length, but you should be finding that the center-most three will "pouch down" to make a sort of cupping.  Play with it.  But at this point when I make one, the pouch already seems to "know" which side is the cup.
Tighten up the "lassos" that wrap the bights.

Now it is time to start weaving a second strand in.  Wasn't I nice to use a highly contrasting cord color?  
You might as well just start from the left side and poke a short length (about 4") through as you see here (exactly as you see here) so that sticking out to the right is the part that will be the end (as you will see in the next picture).  The left side is your working end which will be woven across the pouch.

Now you can see the right-to-left-to-right weave of the crossing (orange) strand.  Continue weaving O-U-O-U-O-U... all the way to the other side of the pouch.
IMPORTANT NOTE:  It is not necessary at first, nor will it likely even be possible, for you to make these strands snug up against each other and look like the arrangement in a Ladder Rack Knot.  As long as the overall shape of this pouch is more or less almond-shaped, it will be fine.  Do try to keep it even, of course, but small gaps are not only not undesirable, they are more-or-less unavoidable.  With that said, however, based on the fact that an EDCforumite named Nephiel proved just how tight and handsome this pouch can be woven, I revisited my technique and discovered that you can indeed make this pouch look pretty darned neat.  It's going to take some effort, you can be sure of that, but it can be done.  If it doesn't happen on your first sling, don't even worry.  Just keep it, and work tighter on the next one.  The first, not-so-tight one will still work just fine.  (P.S.  Thanks, Nephiel, for showing me the potential of this pouch design!)

This is the pouch when the weaving has been completed and tightened-up and evened-up.  Yes, you will have to do a little "working" of the orange cord.  Use your fingers to push or pull the horizontal strands along their green warp strands if they seem to be bunched toward one end or the other.  Fit as many crosswise orange strands as you can, to minimize gaps in the pouch.  It may help to have a titanium "icepick" marlinspike from LCranston, like I do.  Wink

(If you discover that your pouch seems to be longer than you want it to be, you can undo some of the cross-woven strands, and re-work the sheet-bend strands until the length is more to your liking.)

Flip the work over and look at the back side of the pouch.  Single out the specific strand that I have picked up with the titanium spike in the picture.  Tuck the short end of the orange cord under that strand, and the one beyond it.  That should be good enough to keep it plenty secure, although you can always go for a third strand.  (Remember, you will do this for each symmetrical end of the pouch, and it will look exactly the same as the first side or you did something wrong.)

Clip the end and melt it according to your preference for finishing paracord ends.  Tie your preferred loop in one end of the green cord, and a stopper knot at the other end, and you have yourself a sling!  I favor a "Longbow Knot" for the loop, and an "Ashley's Stopper Knot" for the trigger knot.

For ammunition, go to Walmart and check in the home decor area for "decorator accents" and such.  I bought a bag of glass droplets that are close to an inch in diameter.  They are shaped like bon-bons, or Cella's cherry candies, and nestle perfectly into the pouch.  Yes, I would prefer polished steel balls for their additional mass, but they are not cheap!  I also find that this pouch works very well with golf balls.

Please use care, intelligence and maturity when using your sling.  I of course have no control of, and bear no responsibility for, what you do with your sling.  I am only a learning novice, myself.  Many thanks to all on slinging.org who give of their knowledge and experience so freely.

Be safe, and have fun!  

(Here are some pictures of a completed specimen using UAC paracord, which makes a handsome sling)

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Indiana

Re: Build-along for the 5-strand woven paracord sl
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 11:17am

Thanks so much i have been wanting to make one for ages.

This is my signature block.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 3:37pm

I have shown you The Way.   Wink

Good luck.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 6:49pm

Jeffrey,

Nice tutorial!These might be good for the archives.You should p.m. Chris or somebody and see if these clear pictures and instructions can be put in tutorials section.

Thanks,

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 7:39pm

I'll second that PJ - send a PM to the administrators and ask them to put it in the tutorials.

Now id someone would come up with a simple net pouch that this old fart can follow... the one in the tutorials sections leaves steps out or assumes you know something more than I know...  Ah well, I guess i can't have everything!

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Rueben
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 12:10am

Thanks for the writeup Jeffrey. As others suggested, this should get added to the articles section. The only thing I would add is to mention that the weaving may be done with "gutted" paracord. Also, my approximately 65cm, 7 strand paracord sling used up just under 4m of paracord total. Around 2.3m of paracord was used for the sling and the rest for the weaving.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 7:21am

There doesn't seem to be an interest in converting the info in this thread into an article in the How-To section...  I haven't gotten a response to my query.   Tongue

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 7:49am

PJ - make sure you send your note to all the Administrators.  Not all of them seem attentive to their email all the time.  Or your message gets caught in a spam-fighter trap; or random electrons in the Universe decide to do you wrong...

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 4:10pm

Well, I added a solicitation to the top of the thread, but I also sent a PM to CuriousAardvark but haven't heard anything further.

edit:  OOPS.  No, I didn't.  I sent it to "Chris" (administrator).

Next stop, C.A.!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 7:04am

lol you were right the first time - it's chris you need to contact Smiley
Check out the stickied 'want articles' topic at the top of the page.
Articles need to be laid out in a certin way.

Personally I reckon this one looks good. Woven solid pouches get my thumbs up - but it's not my call Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 8:08pm

Thanks.  I'll check with Chris, and consult the sticky you mentioned.

IP Logged

Gronk
Ex Member

Unga bunga!

Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 8:16pm

I second..or third..or wherever I am, the vote for this to be a sticky or a 'how-to'

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #12 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 8:55pm

Gronk wrote on Nov 18th, 2008 at 8:16pm:
I second..or third..or wherever I am, the vote for this to be a sticky or a 'how-to'

Thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged

Jysky
Tiro

Finland
Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 9:17am

Thanks a lot Peacefuljeffrey for your illustrated instructions!

I have made couple of slings using 4mm plastic rope and those turn out quite good, after I learned from my mistakes. At the beginning I woved the pouch too tight and all the five strand in it were equally long (No good!).
But then I studied the instructions again and the second sling was already much better.

IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 10:32am

Thanks so much for posting this how to, I am now convinced to have a go but would like to use a more natural material (Sorry, its the hippy in me.)
Can anyone suggest what might work best? I thought perhaps sisal, or maybe even sashcord.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)