Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Traction tebuchet video (Read 2302 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Traction tebuchet video
Oct 25th, 2008 at 7:01am

http://www.djurfeldt.com/patrik/artillery.html

Big trebs are two-a-penny, but you dont often see a traction trebuchet in action....

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Traction tebuchet video
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 10:15am

weird - surely it would make much more sense to use a big weigt.

Given that their best distance was 140 metres with a 1.5 kg rock.
I reckon you could probably match that with a 2 man staff sling Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 12:17pm

It was an evolutionary step on the way to the counterweight trebuchet. Also the rate of fire was high since its easy to reset without having to winch up a giant weight, and its highly portable since the traction crew can break it down and carry off the bits.

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 11:14am

I don't know if it was used this way, but it seems to me that you could mount it on a battlement, or the top of a tower in a castle.  Would be usefull in a seige, and you'd get better range being up that high.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 2:37pm

BrianGrubbs wrote on Nov 9th, 2008 at 11:14am:
I don't know if it was used this way, but it seems to me that you could mount it on a battlement, or the top of a tower in a castle.  Would be usefull in a seige, and you'd get better range being up that high.

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet

"Engineers thickened walls to withstand the new artillery and redesigned fortifications to employ trebuchets against attackers. Architects working under al-Adil (1196–1218), Saladin’s brother and successor, introduced a defensive system that used gravity-powered trebuchets mounted on the platforms of towers to prevent enemy artillery from coming within effective range. These towers, designed primarily as artillery emplacements, took on enormous proportions to accommodate the larger trebuchets"

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 8:15am

Quote:
It was an evolutionary step on the way to the counterweight trebuchet. Also the rate of fire was high since its easy to reset without having to winch up a giant weight, and its highly portable since the traction crew can break it down and carry off the bits.

Can't argue with that Smiley
But five blokes with staff slings and grenades would have been my choice Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)