Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
nothwoods machete project (Read 5373 times)
siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
nothwoods machete project
Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:03pm

just thought i would share what i've been working on with you guys.

12" blade, 6" handle.  1.75" wide, 1/8" thick S7 heat treat by Paul Bos to 57 RcH.  maple scales with brass hardware. 

pre-handle testing:

here with its prettier brother in cocobolo with brass:

now onto the attempted destruction testing:
It started out with a maple handle, but I destroyed it during testing part 1, beating the whole thing through a large log with a masonry hammer. The photos are from part 2, where I beat the blade through a larger, knottier log with a large iron tamping bar. Part 2 took two people, myself and Theo Newman.

here you can see the blade going straight through a huge knot:

After testing part 1 and 2 the edge was still shaving sharp. Not too surprising, but I expected the knots to dull the blade at least a little bit.

Flex test. It returned to true after bending it a little farther than shown in the photo. I would estimate we took it to about 70 degrees. We didn't want to try any farther because noone was wearing safety equipment and we didn't want to risk injury. And we were satisfied that this machete would hold up to just about anything at this point.

Two weekends later I was camping with some friends and we found a shovel that i wanted to try fixing up (the handle was broken off inside the socket). Not having proper tools, I used my machete and a 2.5 pound sledge to cut the 1/4" mild steel pin that was through the socket. This resulted in some edge deformation, but no chipping. The edge damage could be fixed in a minute or two with my regular sharpening setup or a file and a sharpening stone.

After pounding on the spine of the blade with a masonry hammer, iron bars, and a small sledge, the only damage to the knife was that the spine is deformed and mushroomed. The edge has held up well to impacts with common things found in the woods and with things that should never be cut with a knife blade. Overall I am very pleased with the way this machete performs, and I intend to continue making these.

i currently have it downstairs stripped of its wrapping.  i'm going to put new maple handle scales on it.  for the future versions i have a more tapered design, it goes down to .25" narrower at the front of the handle.  it doesn't sound like much, but it makes a big difference in terms of balance and heft.  also planning on using micarta for the handles-much tougher than maple.

this one has been a blast to try breaking, it was fun to make and i am probably going to have several waterjet cut to make my life a little easier (these take alot of grinding in the handle contours)

hope you enjoy!

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Re: nothwoods machete project
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:26pm

That baby is totally sweet. I would love to get my hands on one.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 8:26pm

Looks like a very functional piece of kit.  Good work!   I have an old Brazilian-made machete that's actually quite nice; looks a lot like yours in general dimensions, but the blade stock is not nearly so heavy.    Very useful item; I used it to strip an Osage Orange bowstave down to one ring...Worked just as well as a drawknife.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 9:16pm

Forgive me, but I don't see the point of making something nice and then going way past "using" it to what I would call "abusing" it.  It's great that the thing stands up to this, but I don't understand sending a blade to Paul Bos for a heat treat (I have no idea how much that costs)  only to later bash its spine with hammers to make it do what a machete is not intended to do... especially to the point of causing damage and deformation!

Hey, to each, his own, I guess.   Undecided

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 7:35am

It's always good to know the limitations of your tools... that's why I buy Cold Steel knives, because they can take rediculous amounts of abuse, and still keep functioning.  

Oh yeah, and nice machete!

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 7:52am

Jeffrey the point of this kind of testing is to make sure that no matter what situation you end up in - you KNOW you'll be able to rely on your knife to cope with it.

Siguy stated that this isn't a one off. So before he goes ahead with making more of these he wants to be certain that they'll be worth the effort.

Looks like they will be to me Smiley
Way to test a machete !

And even after all the abuse he still has a perfectly functional knife. It just looks a bit 'lived in' Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:30am

. look up the requirements to be in the American Bladesmith Society. Now,there is a tough test!
  Nice to see that you are really trying Siguy. Keep up the good work

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 7:36pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 10th, 2008 at 7:52am:
Jeffrey the point of this kind of testing is to make sure that no matter what situation you end up in - you KNOW you'll be able to rely on your knife to cope with it.

Siguy stated that this isn't a one off. So before he goes ahead with making more of these he wants to be certain that they'll be worth the effort.

Ah!  That makes more sense to me.  Thank you.

IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 10:42am

have you ever made a sword siguy?

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 8:42pm

peacefuljeffrey-as was said i want to make sure that no matter what this blade (and its succesors) will be able to stand up to anything that anyone can throw at it. 

right now it looks just about brand new after some shining up.

JTK- this is the closest thing to a sword so far...i have been thinking about making a couple of basic rapier pattern swords to duel with my brother with...not live blades though.  i think it would be fun to build a trainer and a live blade set...the only difference being a sharpened edge.  that way you could practice with basically the same sword you would be "fighting" with.  i might buy some steel for this when i order for the next batch of blades...

thanks for all the comments guys, good to have input.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 9:56am

Actually one more thing:

Anyone else spot siguys mistake here ?
SAFETY GOGGLES MAN !
Had that thing gone you'd have been in serious trouble.
sheesh - I'm not particularly safety conscious, but even I'd have had goggles on at this point lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 10:07am

safety goggles... gloves...shoes...long sleeves at least...other protective gear..... Shocked

But hey!  It's their bodies and lives to do with as they please. Lips Sealed  Our loss if they fubar Embarrassed

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 10:27pm

I'm a believer in safety goggles, as well.  It's easy for people to just dismiss the need for them, though.  Happens too often, I think.  No one's gonna give you a new eye if you put one out.  And I have to imagine that life with one eye has gotta suck, especially if you like doing outdoor activities, everything from slinging to skydiving would be affected by loss of the depth perception that binocular vision affords you.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:09pm

i'm with you guys on the safety thing, that's why we didn't go any further with the attempted destruction.

i forgot to bring the goggles along that weekend, so i wasn't safe.

in don't do anything in the shop without goggles and ear plugs...too many dangerous things.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 7:09am

long sleeves - get caught in stuff - me if i'm going for something dangerous - short sleeves all the way lol

You really don't want to wear long sleeves while woodturning - for example.
Even used to roll the sleeves of my labcoats up in college, saves you catching glassware with the darn things.
Picking blackberries - long sleeves get caught in the brambles and the more you pull the more they dig in. Sleeveless you just get the odd scratch Smiley

Goggles and ear defenders are pretty much my limit. Gloves occasionally.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)