Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Walking/Hiking Stick: Oak or Lilac (Read 11393 times)
jon2jon
Tiro

Slinging Rocks Rocks!

Walking/Hiking Stick: Oak or Lilac
Oct 6th, 2008 at 2:29pm

I want to make a hiking stick for the summer. I have an oak tree in my yard, but I also have a lilac shrub. My parents were going to take the lilac shrub out anyway, so i was thinking about using it for my walking stick. Lilac is a hardwood, but i wasn't sure how much better oak was. thanks. btw, i also have a cedar tree, but i don't think that it makes good walking sticks. (correct me if i'm wrong)

IP Logged

Panday

Slinging Rocks!

New Mogadishu (Detroit)
Re: Walking/Hiking Stick: Oak or Lilac
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 5:54pm

jon,

I've made plenty of knife handles and walking sticks out of oak.  It's a good, solid, open-grained hardwood.  For a walking staff, it's just fine.

I recommend you treat it by sanding to about 220 grit.  Then coat it with a mixture of 1/3 turpentine and 2/3 boiled linseed oil, heated in a double boiler.  It's an old wood-finishing technique which I prefer to any kind of varnish or polyurethane.  The heat of the mixture and the turpentine both serve to open the wood's grain and allow the linseed oil to penetrate deeper into the wood.  As the wood cools and the turpentine evaporates, the grain closes again.  Rub with steel wool and repeat the process a few times.

Use something to cap the bottom of your stick- brass or copper end-cap from a plumbing store, or a rubber cap from drug store work well enough.  That keeps the bottom of your stick from getting worn and mushrooming.

I can't speak on the virtues of lilac wood.  I've never worked with it.

"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not even be here, 80 are nothing but targets, 9 are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make.&&Ah, but the one.  One of them is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."&&-Heraclitus 500 BC
IP Logged

jon2jon
Tiro

Slinging Rocks Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 6:05pm

ok, thanks for the help. those instructions will really help. i wasn't sure if oak would be too heavy, but it should be fine. if anyone does know the properties of lilac, it would be appreciated so the wood wouldn't be wasted. oh yeah, how long should a walking stick be? i'm around 5 ft 4"

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 6:20pm

I always liked mine to be long enough that when I was gripping the top in my hand, my elbow would form a 90 degree angle.  I would recommend trying several lengths (start long, you can always cut it down) untill you find something that works comfortably for you.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 6:25pm

carbon fiber

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 6:33pm

Nah, not rustic enough Grin, I´m actually working on a hiking stick right now, making it out of an ash shovel handle. Interesting tip on the finishing Panday, I don´t have equipment to heat such a mixture, but I assume that ´s not that critical. Could you use white spirit instead of turpentine?

IP Logged

Panday

Slinging Rocks!

New Mogadishu (Detroit)
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:48pm

Quote:
Nah, not rustic enough Grin, I´m actually working on a hiking stick right now, making it out of an ash shovel handle. Interesting tip on the finishing Panday, I don´t have equipment to heat such a mixture, but I assume that ´s not that critical. Could you use white spirit instead of turpentine?

Kuggur,

All you have to do is use two pans of different sizes.  Fill the larger pan with water and put the smaller pan (I use a glass jar, actually) with the mixture in the pan with water.  Then heat the larger pan.  Instant double-pan boiler: your mixture won't catch on fire now.

"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not even be here, 80 are nothing but targets, 9 are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make.&&Ah, but the one.  One of them is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."&&-Heraclitus 500 BC
IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:59pm

I was a forester in a previous incarnation, so wood properties are something I understand.  At a density of .8 g per cubic centimeter, lilac is a bit 'heavier' than oak with a density of .69 g/cm3  But the structure of lilac is more irregular and open and so it won't stand as much sideways stress - smacking the stick against a big rock - as oak with it's longer fibers and tighter construction.

Whichever you choose, capping the ends with copper,brass or iron pipe caps will help keep it from splintering on the ends.  I would peel the stave now and let it dry most of the winter, then cap the ends in spring.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2008 at 8:02am by StaffSlinger »  

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 9:54pm

I am confused.  The densities listed seem weird.  We're talking about a cubic (not "square") meter of the material, right?  How could a hardwood be less than 1 kg. per cubic meter?!

P.S.  I think that a tip on making a double-boiler would be to minimize the contact between the inner and outer pans -- particularly on the bottom where the heat will be applied.  The bottom and sides of the inner pan of a double boiler should "float" in the water used to boil.  Otherwise, if the bottom contacts the inner bottom of the larger pan, you will be getting a much greater heat transfer and risk undoing the benefits of double-boiling.  If you were making Hollandaise sauce, you might scorch it.  If you're "cooking" turpentine, you could end up with bigger problems than that, obviously.  Embarrassed

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 8:03am

Yer right PJ - the source I quoted had the units wrong.  I fixed my previous mesage.  Should have been .69 and .80 grams per cubic centimeter

StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 8:28am

StaffSlinger wrote on Oct 7th, 2008 at 8:03am:
Yer right PJ - the source I quoted had the units wrong.  I fixed my previous mesage.  Should have been .69 and .80 grams per cubic centimeter

Thanks for getting back to us on that, dude.  I was like, "A cubic meter of hardwood?!  S'allotta wood!  Wink

Hey, thanks again for staff-slinging tips.  I was out playing Ultimate on Sunday, and afterward, I showed some folks the escrima-stick staff sling I made (the one in the video I linked to in another thread).  One of the guys stuck around afterward and tried a few throws and enjoyed it--especially the fact that he was able to get the golf balls to cruise a little distance.  Then I was alone, and an attractive couple strolled by.  She stood off in the background but since he seemed interested I heartily offered him the chance to try out the staff sling and he did so.  Boy was he enthusiastic!  I told him about the website before he thanked me and left.  His girlfriend was probably rolling her eyes, but she had a fine *!! to scope out so I didn't really care.  Cheesy

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 10:29am

Wel, the whole heating turpentine thing still seems a bit iffy for me, think I ´ll go for the cold mix. That is to say after I've done the fancy wittling I´m planning (fancy on paper at least, see how it turns out)

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:21am

Linseed or tung oil as a finish (cold) will penetrate wdore than any of the varnish/shellac/polyurethane finishes.  On long pieces like a stff, I have made a "soak tank" from a piece of PVC pipe and left the finished wood soak in mineral oil or a couple days.

StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Panday

Slinging Rocks!

New Mogadishu (Detroit)
Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:10pm

A couple of people have mentioned concerns about the double boiler with the turpentine-linseed oil I mentioned.  Just to clarify things here, I don't bring the mixture to a boil, I just warm it.  After all, if it were boiling the mixture, I couldn't exactly dip a rag and apply it by hand.

I also have a little portable burner which I use, instead of doing it in the kitchen.  I heat and apply this mixture on the concrete floor of my garage workshop.  Better ventilation outside and if it spills, I'm not worried about the floor.

Staffslinger: I like your idea of a pvc soak tank.  I have a steel quench tank which I use for knives- I can't believe I never thought of your idea before.  That'll be a soon-to-come addition to my shop.

IP Logged

jon2jon
Tiro

Slinging Rocks Rocks!

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 2:34pm

Ok, thanks everyone for the help. I think I'm going to try the lilac so it won't go to waste. It might be a bit short though, so I might end up using the oak.

EDIT: I looked at the lilac bush, it should be long enough, the problem is its curved. Its not completely bent, but it has a gradual curve. Is there a way to straiten it out?  Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2008 at 4:14pm by jon2jon »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)