Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Fig.8 Comanche Style (Read 15601 times)
Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Re: Fig.8 Comanche Style
Reply #60 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 10:17am

Can we say that any cast initiated by the opposite hand releasing the elevated pouch down front and to the rear followed by a single preliminary twirl is a figure 8 style?

Dropping the pouch such that it arrives to the rear in an arc is one method of starting the cast. When the cast is done with the bent arm motion which most throwers use, it cries for an extra turn done in some fashion.

A trebuchet has a launching trough to start the ammo from. The arm of a treb  remains straight with no bending, hence no extra windup. The exception to this is the “whipper treb” wherein both arm and pouch rotate further but still without extra complete turns.

Just because a sidearm follow through was used doesn’t mean the cast was not a “figure 8” style even though it was not efficiently done as with overhand.There are techniques which utilize an extra preliminary turn to advantage and others which border on “towel snapping". 

tom

IP Logged

Jonas.N
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #61 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 11:03am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 16th, 2008 at 7:54am:
No idea without a link to the video in question I have no idea to what you're referring Smiley

Oh sorry. Here goes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj0r3VqWP4w

Yeah, the comanche is obviously a fig 8 variant. this one is quite like it..

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #62 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 12:41pm

A couple of videos of me trying the Comanche style. The quality is pretty hopeless. I have some higher resolution videos with my nice white braided sling that shows up perfectly, but these are on a different camera that isnt talking to the PC any more. A card reader looks like the only solution so it will be a few days before I can get those up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSbbpwgGoqY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsvtzYfuUEU

[EDIT] I managed to get the other videos but they werent hi-res, however the framerate is decent and the white sling shows up well. This is a sequence of several throws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNDLIhgezvo

I have a couple of other clips up as well, but I need more quality before I can get serious about this video lark  Undecided
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2008 at 3:07pm by David Morningstar »  

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #63 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 3:49pm

Thanks for the videos, David Morningstar.  I think they give a good illustration of the Comanche style.

I have used both Comanche style and fig 8 a lot the last days, and feel that they are just small variables of the basically same cast. 
But it t is good they have different names, so we all know which and what we are talking about( but perhaps somebody here should find a native tribe ( on youtube?) who used the "old" fig 8, so we can give it more stylish name Cheesy)
timann

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #64 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 5:20pm

Even if "Comanche" style is just a variation on Figure-8, I have to give it credit for getting me to try something like Figure-8 again.  See, when I first tried Figure-8 I failed at it for the most part because I either had to get into a funky uncomfortable contortion to make it work, or I hit myself in the back--one or the other.

But I tried "Comanche" style and made a success out of it, and I like it a bit more than the Greek and Byzantine that I had been doing well with, because of the way Comanche comes over the top.  My lateral accuracy is better this way.

So independent style or not, I give it credit for helping my slinging.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #65 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 9:18am

I've been watching this video that Willeke shot,and it does seem more like the old mans mammoth hunting shot.What do you think CA?

http://knopen.ismijnhobby.nl/diverse/MVI_5741.AVI

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #66 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 9:20am

Respectfully said,the throw does have a different rotation than most compound overhand shots.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #67 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 2:11pm

I think that CA will say that it looks rather familiar Smiley  It is well within the fig8 style imo.
timann

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #68 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 9:18am

Quote:
I've been watching this video that Willeke shot,and it does seem more like the old mans mammoth hunting shot.What do you think CA?

http://knopen.ismijnhobby.nl/diverse/MVI_5741.AVI

Thats almost exactly it. The throwing hand starts a little higher and the throwing arc could be a touch more horizontal but those are minor quibbles.

Who is that in the video? Is it C_A himself?

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #69 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 9:32am

It is CA.I know he was throwing casually,as his target was somewhere in Willeke's vicinity,and his motions may have been affected by his awareness of the female downrange,I just think that it's similar to the old mans(and yours,David)in the initial rotation.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

The_Peltast
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 5:26pm

I found this GEM of a post with the search function...

Seeing some of this footage and discussion got me thinking about how much sling length with a figure-8 style is going to affect elbow position and the plane of rotation.

I just thought I'd bump it to the top of the forum and suggest any members learning the Fig-8 experiment with lengths different than what you have used with other styles if you are having difficulty getting a good feel with it.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #71 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 8:13pm

Awesome thread! i bet there are more out there like this!!!
I wish Aussie was still here though Sad Cause he would certianly have lots to add.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)