Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Chachapoya Slingers
Sep 1st, 2008 at 10:57pm

"Into the Unknown with Josh Bernstein
The Cloud Warriors
TV-G

For seven centuries the Chachapoya ruled the mountains of northern Peru from their hilltop fortress of Kuelap. Then in the 1500's their civilization vanished. Josh Bernstein investigates the mysterious disappearance of the fearsome Cloud Warriors."

That's from the discovery channels schedule.It aired tonight,and showed the local throwing at various skulls and a few watermelons.Bernstein himself got a hold of the sling and with a helicopter cast,he nailed a smallish skull at about 15 yards!They were saying that the sling was a good weapon because it is potentially lethal.The interpreter insisted that it was not how fast you spun it above your head,but the final spin that gave you your acceleration and accuracy.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2008 at 7:17pm by Burner »  

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Re: Chachapoya Slingers
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 12:43am

Lol... went to sleep about half an hour into the show.. not one mention of slingers in that time  Sad

checked the schedule and there are no reruns -.-'
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2008 at 12:03pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 1:27pm

Theres no mention of that series on the UK Discovery channel Sad

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 7:21pm

They discussed the Chachapoyas weaponry about 40 minutes in.I was debating hitting the sack at 10:30,and right when I was shutting down they broke into the sling bit.It was actually fairly cool.They did a rerun at 2:00 A.M. Eastern,but I think that was it.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2008 at 11:37pm by Burner »  

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 9:55pm

Quote:
They discussed the Chachapoyas weaponry about 40 minutes in.I was debating hitting the sack at 10:30,and right when I was shutting down they broke into the sling bit.I was actually fairly cool.They did a rerun at 2:00 A.M. Eastern,but I think that was it.

thats when I caught it... Id been staying up to 3ish every night until about a week ago...but school is in two days so was going to bed earlier and earlier.. caught me off guard lol

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 5:30pm

It´s too bad I missed that, I would´ve liked to see it very much.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

castanon93
Descens

IN BELLU PRIMUM

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 6:27pm

i bet you do rockman, i bet you do Grin anyone knows of a show were they talk about the aztec's tematlatl (sling)?

If there is any Evil in this world, it lurks on the hearts of Mankind-
castanon93  
IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 7:29pm

castanon93 wrote on Apr 24th, 2009 at 6:27pm:
anyone knows of a show were they talk about the aztec's tematlatl (sling)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBa1G12KyTM

Right here, you'll enjoy this.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

thabaill
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2023 at 6:19pm

Do you have a good pic of a Chachapoya sling?

https://youtu.be/hCxGXyitu2o?t=2619

https://youtu.be/hYb0357mSgA?t=1079

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2023 at 3:23pm

thabaill wrote on Mar 9th, 2023 at 6:19pm:

Dang, I didn’t know the Phoenicians/Iberians in South America theory was a thing. Wild. Doesn’t seem to have much in the way of actual evidence, though. As for the sling’s part in this, proponents of this theory that I’ve been looking into seem to suggest that the Iberians introduced the sling to South America. This is silly since South America has the oldest surviving sling in the world (from around 2500 BCE), which is thousands of years older than the purported introduction. Sling stones in North America dating from perhaps as far back as 13,000 years ago (11,000 BCE) seems to suggest that slings might have come in with Native Americans during the population of the Americas, or at least were invented fairly early on. Any similarities the slings may have is likely coincidental.

IP Logged

thabaill
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2023 at 5:21pm

I am sure the Iberians, in case of being true that theory, only introduced a specific type of sling, not slings in general, which they have been used in the American continent long before.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris)