Send Topic Print
Florida Flinger (Read 992 times)
StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Florida Flinger
Aug 30th, 2008 at 2:47pm

Hi All;

Ken Hulme, aka StaffSlinger, here in Venice, FL (the "other" West Coast), just right of hurricane Gustave!

It's been 30 years since I messed with slings or slingshots, and have recently gooten back in touch with both.  Of course 30 years ago there was no World Wide Web, so in the bad old days most of us were pretty isolated unless we lived in a culture that keeps alive the old ways.

I remember 'way back then... one summer as a timber cruiser in the Colorado Rocky Mountains.  One dy i got back to the truck well before my partner.  I knew I had over an hour to kill.  Well there I was with my walking stick, some parachute cord, some 8 mil HEAVY plastic, and a whole mountain full of rocks!  You can indeed chuck fist sized rocks 'way more than a hundred yards with accuracy, even with Improvised AntiPersonnel Devices!  I zeroed in on a pine tree about 8" in diameter at that range.  After a few shots I hit the tree and knocked off some bark.  Now I had an aiming spot.  I guess it took about 25 or 30 sharp rocks; but I chopped that tree down, by 'remote control', and it was more than a measured 100 yards away. 

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

In addition to chucking rocks, large and small, I build and play mountain dulcimers, enjoy snorkeling and underwater photography, and beachwalking looking for wshed up petrified shark's teeth which are relatively common along my nearest stretch of beach (about a mile away).  By trade I'm a Technical Writer and a trained Personal Chef.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Florida Flinger
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 5:59pm

Staff slings are something I want to try soon. Did you carve a notch/hook for the release loop in the end of the staff or just leave it smooth?

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 8:34pm

That's great, I don't think I've ever heard of someone chopping down a tree with a sling... staff or otherwise.  I agree with you on the WWWeb thing.  I tried slinging some as a kid, but didn't know anyone else that did it, or how to find out anything about it since my local library didn't carry any books that were helpful.  This site has been a great help to me, and I hope it is to you as well!  Welcome aboard.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 8:59am

I don't notch or hook the free end,  The tie point for the other end more or less acts as a stop.  How far down the shaft that stop is certainly effects the ballistics.  Now I'll start some real science experiments to determine optimum placement for knot/stop.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)