Send Topic Print
Special knife (Read 6928 times)
timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Special knife
Aug 25th, 2008 at 12:13pm

Yesterday, I wisited a local every summer sunday outdoor flee market, planned to do it for years, but...
Lot of junk, as I see it, but some interesting stuff.  Folding knives with loose blades and broken points, rusty bayonets and swords,  all sorts of odd items.  Awyway, I carried minimal cash, but hoped I would find a treasure anyway.
And, I feel I DID  Cheesy.
A one-piece, double-edged knife or dagger, maybe a stilletto.  For 30 kroner, almost 6 dollar, I got the chance to save it from a box with other metall stuff.
It may seem like a letter opener, but it definitively got the feel of a weapon.  And extreme quality.

It is almost 28 cm/11`` total, one edge is 16 cm, the other is 11 cm.  The tickness of the blade is 11,9 mm X 3,9 mm.
After its time in the box its edges was slightly less than absolutely perfect, but 2 minutes with diamond hone and leather strop, and both edges shaved my arm.
There is no rust, just a few minor mis-coloured spots.  It has a mark, F V inside a cirkle.
But, what is this, a assasins tool, a military weapon like the salesman thought, or a sivilian weapon from when?  Any guess?
I think I must make a sheath for it.
timann

IP Logged

TimdaSling
Descens

wach my sling!!

Heerenveen, Nethelands
Re: Special knife
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 1:27pm

It looks indeed very much like a letter opener and I would stik by that but I can only see the picture so it's hard to tell and 28cm is a bit big for a letter opener right?

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 2:26pm

At first glimpse it appears like a letter opener, but this easily dismissed by its obviously deadly feel and ability, its lenght and extremly good, sharp edges.  Much better than most double edge daggers.  And trust me  Wink, when held it is obvious it is made for killing human beings. I have a little Roll Eyes collection of knives, and like to think I know a few things about this.  It may possibly even be made to look like a letter opener, but is not ment for that purpose Wink.
timann

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 2:44pm

any chance of a close up on the handle ?
can't tell from the first picture what it's made of or what it's profile is.

Definitely an odd looking blade - maybe an old surgical instrument.

Although dependant on the handle could also be some form of bayonet.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 3:44pm

The handle is wery minimalistic, it is the end of the blade simply flattened ond shaped for holding in a forward stabbing grip.  Look simple, but fit cleverly in a palm reinforced grip.
The handle give it that letter opener look, the blade does not.  No wholes for bayonet or other attachment.  No way for me to attach a paracord grip.  It is just stealthy.
And yes, it looks a bit like a surgical instrument,not that I want THAT surgery Shocked.
It could have been made by an surgical instrument maker.  The shape, the perfect, practical grind. Double edge knives that thin usually dont reach that grade of sharpness.  The simplicity. They did that in the past, instrument makers. 
My feel of the blade against diamond hone, and the way it resisted abuse in the box where I found it, tells me of good steel.
timann

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 3:46pm

And...
timann

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 3:58pm

The handle is hollowed in on on both sides, it appear to simply be made to be easy to hide, and appear to work well, but it is not a super duper fighting dagger handle which the blade appear to deserve.  Appearently stealth, and sudden death, is the main purpose of this knife.  Oddly, it appear to be of GREAT quality.  That is what interested me with it.
timann

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 4:01pm

Unless I'm mistaken, that's an autopsy knife.   There are a variety of these knives in different shapes and sizes.   The solid stainless-steel construction aids in sterilization.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:36am

yep - didn't realise the handle was all steel. Definitely medical.

Although you could easily see it snugged under a rifle with a clamp holding on to the neck.
But right from the get go it looked like a medical knife to me. The total steel construction pretty much clinches it.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 2:04pm

Well, I agree it may well be an autopsy knife, look like a medical tool, and would work well for it, but, for the sake of argument; It is wery long, narrow, double edged and deadly.  It appear like overkill Wink to use it on something that is dead already.
An autopsy is just, sorry, cutting in meat.  This would be easyer with a flatter, single edged knife, with a flat grind, like a butcer knife or scalpel or whatewer.  The two edges on my knife is WERY good, but still a little bit thick, and, like on most double edged daggers, the point is appearently the most important "point" on this knife.
timann

IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 4:36pm

i personaly think its a throwing knife...  longer for deep penatration, welled in handle to fit the thumb in... it being double sided make me think its unlikley for a surgical intriment or autopsy knife (creepy!) and that its nearly a foot long dissmises the idea of surgery to me...

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 10:03pm

I would say certainly not a thrower; construction is all wrong.  It would bend/break almost immediately.    Tried a google search under medical/surgical/autopsy knives; no luck.  Modern jobs are all throw-away.
Likely a vintage item.

I put it up over at Bladeforums; one of the collectors should be able to ID it.

IP Logged

chuckschilling
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:53am

This is indeed a surgical instrument - it's an amputation knife; specifically, a catlin (double edged).  This knife dates reliably after 1880 by the metal handles.  Knives produced before 1880 would have had bone, wood, stag, or similar handles, but after the invention of the autoclave in 1879, knives would typically have steel handles so they could be sterilized.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #13 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 11:48am

That's pretty definitive! Well done.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 4:55pm

For the uninitiated an autoclave is a dirty great big pressure cooker used to sterilise scientific glassware and other equipment and medical kit.
Used to be my job to empty the darn thing way back when Smiley

Yep an amputation knife would need to be able to cut both ways to get through the cartilage around the joint. Slim and pointy to get into the joint and double edged to cut quickly both ways.
Nice Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris)