Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ginunting (Read 8592 times)
Panday

Slinging Rocks!

New Mogadishu (Detroit)
Ginunting
Aug 16th, 2008 at 9:17am

I thought members here might be interested in some uncommon blade designs.  If this isn't an appropriate way for me to highlight things like this, I apologize in advance.

By far, forward-leaning blades are my favorite to make. I first learned about this style of blade when I began practicing pekiti-tirsia and became acquainted with the art's primary long blade, the ginunting.

Ginuntings are beak-shaped weapons with the sharp edge on the concave side, similar to the gurkha knife, or kukri, but without the deep cutting belly. "Ginunting" actually means "scissors" in Tagalog. They are a favourite weapon of practitioners of the Filipino Martial Art of Pekiti-Tirsia Kali, which comes from the Visayas in the Philippines.

This is a ginunting made out of stock I removed from a large concrete-cutting saw blade.

OAL: 25"
BLADE: 17", recycled from a concrete-cutting saw blade
HANDLE: 8" Oak.
SHEATH: Birch, wrapped with hemp cord

For more pictures and information, go [url="http://thepanday.blogspot.com/2008/08/ginunting-by-far-forward-leaning-blades.ht...HERE[/url].  Thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2008 at 9:45pm by Panday »  

"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not even be here, 80 are nothing but targets, 9 are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make.&&Ah, but the one.  One of them is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."&&-Heraclitus 500 BC
IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Re: Ginunting
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 9:31am

Good looking knife you got there.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 11:39am

Trust a envious man when he tells you; Wery nice Wink

I like the name, ginunting= scissors.
The rather similar knife/short sword sax, used in northern europe ca. 1000 years ago, has a name wich in norvegian still means scissors; saks.  Appearently, you just took two saxes, made a hole in each, attached with bolt or nail, and could shear your sheep or cut hair and cloth.

Yours seems WERY nice Smiley
timann

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 1:58pm

Panday, That is one sweet looking blade.

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 4:05pm

WOW, that's a nice piece! Wouldn't mind owning one Smiley. I prefer ginuntings with a bit more curve, but that's just me... and your work is impeccable.
How thick is the blade?

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 6:50pm

looks like a really nice blade, well done in craftsmanship.

interesting blade shape and history.

i have a small seax style knife that i'm working on now...with a 5" blade its about the size of a utility version vs a fighting version.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

TimdaSling
Descens

wach my sling!!

Heerenveen, Nethelands
Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 5:49am

nice knife! like the design

IP Logged

Panday

Slinging Rocks!

New Mogadishu (Detroit)
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 7:07am

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

Stenny,
You're a rare person, indeed, whose held ginuntings before!  Do you still have any?

"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not even be here, 80 are nothing but targets, 9 are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make.&&Ah, but the one.  One of them is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."&&-Heraclitus 500 BC
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 7:12am

lol I suspect stenny has made his own ginuntings - he also likes to make blades from big industrial saw blades Smiley

Although I reckon your handles look better than his Wink

oh yeah: Quote:
If this isn't an appropriate way for me to highlight things like this, I apologize in advance.

It's in the right section of the forum - why would you think there was a problem ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Panday

Slinging Rocks!

New Mogadishu (Detroit)
Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 8:17am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 18th, 2008 at 7:12am:
lol I suspect stenny has made his own ginuntings - he also likes to make blades from big industrial saw blades Smiley

Although I reckon your handles look better than his Wink

oh yeah: Quote:
If this isn't an appropriate way for me to highlight things like this, I apologize in advance.

It's in the right section of the forum - why would you think there was a problem ?

Ahh, well, I sell knives that I make.  I didn't want people to think I joined here just to hawk goods, as I really do find slinging both fascinating and cool.  I actually finished two slings this weekend, one with hemp lines and a leather pouch, and a balearic sling out of jute.  When I get around to photoing them I'll post pics of those here, too.

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 4:15pm

There is "Stenny's cutlery" thread somewhere, with a picture of my machete/ginunting hybrid... but yours looks much better, mine is more like something from a prison machine shop  Roll Eyes . I like thinner ginunting blades, around 3 milimeters, because they are quicker, although thicker ones are better choppers.
And I forgot to welcome fellow PTK practicioner! My bad. Feel at home at this place. Grin

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 5:00pm

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:28pm

stennys ginunting - not pretty but it you wouldn't want to be on the business end that's for sure !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Panday

Slinging Rocks!

New Mogadishu (Detroit)
Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:55am

Stenny's is a really nice-looking ginunting.   Cool  Maybe I'll experiment with more of a forward slant on future works.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)