Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Hello from Holland (Read 996 times)
HHornblower

Slinging Rocks!

The Netherlands
A Hello from Holland
Jul 17th, 2008 at 12:51pm

I would like to say hi to everyone on this forum!
I came across this site by pure chance whilst searching the net for instructions on sling-building. As i'm going to scotland in a few days and i haven't got a bow (which i really want) I decided to build myself some slings to use on those lovely pebble-beaches!
I'm a 17-year old Dutchman

yours sincerely,

HHornblower

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: A Hello from Holland
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 3:33pm

Ook goedenavond.

Hi,
You can of course start with slinging pebbles, but as most of us had some of our early casts go really wrong, better start with balls.
Tennis balls are often seen as the most useful beginners ammo, but if you want ammo in the same size as the stones you expect to sling later, look for little balls.
I find Action a good place to look for cheap balls.
You will loose many balls when you sling outside.

Willeke
(From Noord Holland.)

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 9:50am

Welcome, Hornblower.

A Dutchman with a passion for C S Forester? Which Scottish pebbly beaches do you have in mind? Most of the ones I can think of are sandy Wink

Hope that you take to the sling, and we see you around.

IP Logged

HHornblower

Slinging Rocks!

The Netherlands
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 10:16am

Yes a Dutchman who loves the Hornblower-books and series and who playes the french Horn  Wink!
As for using pebbles, luckily we have a lot of "heide" 5 minutes cycling away and in the evenings it's practically deserted so that makes the perfect training spot. Well, nearly perfect as I recently lost my best stone  Angry, but misfires have been very uncommon  so i'll take my chances.

yours sincerely,

HHornblower

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar)