Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quickest, untidiest pouch attachment method yet (Read 3013 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Quickest, untidiest pouch attachment method yet
Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:11am

So I was untying a loop in a bit of paracord and thought. Why do I bother with the melting and the duct tape to make a nice flat loop, when just folding cord and tying into a loop that way would probably work just as well. I don't think the big knot by the end of the pouch should make any difference (we'll see lol).
I did melt the loose end of the knot into the body - but that's probably just so I could set something on fire rather than for any practicl purpose.

So here's my new aussie pouch attached with quick tied loops.
Knocks the time to make  a sling down to a couple of minutes once you've got a pouch with holes in Smiley
I use the same loop knot on the other end of the retention cord to make my sliding loop amnd just tie a couple of simple knots in the end of the release cord and melt the loose bit of string into the top knot.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

oldavid
Descens

I sling, therefore I am
lock and loaded

Re: Quickest, untidiest pouch attachment method ye
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:51am

I don't really get all this technical  Roll Eyes But the sling looks quite good! Cheesy It looks simple, but that little "V" formed by the string looped into the pouch makes a nice little eye-candy, and it's so simple! C_A...how is that untidy?! If that's untidy, my desk is...all hell broke loose.... Tongue
So you just pulled the string through the pouch, then dragged it up the string a bit, and tied a knot right?

David: "Seriously, I was just shooting that little birdie when Goliath's face suddenly popped up!"&&&&Police: "Yea yea...let's see if the jury believe you."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 11:59am

[quote]So you just pulled the string through the pouch, then dragged it up the string a bit, and tied a knot right?[/quote]

Nope. You fold the end of the string over to form a loop (the cord is doubled) then you tie a basic knot with the doubled part, leaving a long ish loop end free. that's it - probably the simplest way to form a loop in a piece of string.
Then you push the loop through the hole in the pouch, pass the rest of the cord (and the knot) through the loop and pull tight :-)

Well, compared to all the whipping and fancy cord attachment methods - trust me that's untidy :-)
But it does work really well and it's seriously quick.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2008 at 5:09pm by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 12:27pm

I see nothing untidy in this. Are you nervous about being caught tying a knot? Grin

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 12:37pm

I have used a similar technique for a long time.  None of my knots have ever come loose.  I melt the end of the cord back almost into the knot, and the resulting knob of solid nylon will not pull through the knot.

I like the perfection loop rather than a simple overhand, but it does take a bit longer.  I also like to work the knot down so that it rests against the end of the pouch, so there is no excess cord.  But the overall technique is the same as yours: build the loop, push the loop through the hole(s) in the pouch, pass the rest of the cord through the loop and cinch it against the pouch.

Here is a finished knot on one of my recent slings.

Moments later: Bleah.  Maybe I'd better try to get a better photo.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 12:42pm

thing is C_A, that takes up bunches of cord.

Simply using the knot shown on the "How to make a simple sling" page is Quick and takes up very little cord.

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 5:11pm

lol but a loop helps hold the pouch in the correct orientation. with a one cord knot the pouch has a tendency to sit sideways.
Cord is very cheap - carbon footprint - what carbon footprint Smiley

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 6:34pm

Untidy? I'll show you untidy. The attachment is about identical with CA's, and the pouch is much like the design he uses (except his is leather) but simplified by having only two tabs on each end, eliminating the center tab. The free end is in fact free, not attached to the line. Friction holds it all together nicely.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 12:01am

Trim up all the frayed bits and loose ends, then seal all the edges with Elmers(PVA) glue and you will be amazed at the increase in pouch speed. With so light a projectile as a golf ball, the air drag from all those unnecessary dangly bits is quite significant.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 1:36am

Aussie, I no longer use that sling. Currently I use an all-string sling that offers minimum air resistance.

It's in a whipper style trebuchet, in case you're wondering.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 7:08am

lmao - so you're all closet loop people.
Knew it :-)

And yeah, that's one ugly looking sling. But I have seen a worse one. One of the new slingers at slingfest uk had one he'd made for tennis balls. He now has a decent leather one and an aussie :-)

IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 7:54am

what i meant is, If you want to re-tie you pouch and dont want to change cords, that will make it much shorter.

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 9:59pm

I see nothing untidy and thats how I tie every loop I make. Its a very efficient way to attach cords to puoches.

IP Logged

Loki
Descens

One with the sling I am

Clovis, Ca.
Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 11:05pm

I beleive that style is called a Larks Head. Maybe Willeke can confirm or debunk. I have also used those types of connector knots too.

Loki  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick)