Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Sling Speed???????????????????? (Read 37869 times)
Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Re: Sling Speed????????????????????
Reply #45 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:01pm

Lets all write to them! The more the merrier.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #46 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 10:29pm

My initial reaction was to suggest, "Nah, they wouldn't be interested." But then perhaps they would! However they like to "Bust Myths" ie. investigate some controversy or other. What better controversy than whether a slinger could in fact take out a skilled warrior with a shot to the head? In other words a dispassionate secular look at the DvG controversy. That subject often gets people hot under the collar even on this site where we generally know about a sling's capabilities. It's been done before but usually by religiously motivated groups who like to put their own spin on it which may not be generally acceptable.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #47 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 7:32am

Also do they televise everything they do? It'd be interesting even if they didn't televise it but still tried it, and shared the results.

IP Logged

MitchInTheGlatrix
Tiro

A Philistine and an Israelite
walk into a pub...

Near Fulcrum of the Simulacrum
Reply #48 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 9:37pm

Playing cards are moving well, maybe it's time to dust off the slinging gear...

"The nation that separates it's scholars from it's warriors, will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #49 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 11:43pm

Holy moly! This is the first thread I ever posted to!

Mitch, what are the units on that thing? is that 20.4 or 204?

If you do get some confirmed speeds, please post them in the "Chronographs" thread in "Here be Maths" as well. It would be much appreciated since we are trying to track them there.

John R.

IP Logged

MitchInTheGlatrix
Tiro

walk into a pub...

Reply #50 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 4:32am

204fps (139mph). Sling speeds can get considerably more 'out of hand'.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2020 at 12:21pm by MitchInTheGlatrix »  

"The nation that separates it's scholars from it's warriors, will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #51 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 1:54pm

Is that tracking the leading edge of a rotating playing card?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

MitchInTheGlatrix
Tiro

walk into a pub...

Reply #52 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 2:24pm

It works via light sensors exactly one foot apart. You get a LOT of errors unless the card passes level over the sensors.  It actually works best when just the advancing or retreating edges catch the sensors.  High speed video from a cell phone camera can also be used to verify speeds.

Should try it, it's a real hoot.  It's a fun but laborious way to chop vegetables for the stew pot. lol

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #53 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:37pm

Love to see your numbers with the sling

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #54 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 1:44am

MitchInTheGlatrix wrote on Aug 6th, 2020 at 2:24pm:
It works via light sensors exactly one foot apart. You get a LOT of errors unless the card passes level over the sensors.  It actually works best when just the advancing or retreating edges catch the sensors.  High speed video from a cell phone camera can also be used to verify speeds.

Should try it, it's a real hoot.  It's a fun but laborious way to chop vegetables for the stew pot. lol

Is that a thrown speed? How are you getting a card to 139mph?

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #55 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 8:22am

If you think about how a playing card moves in the direction of a throw, one edge of the card is moving faster than the other because of the rotation. I expect you would see a lot of variation in speed measurements with a break-beam system because of this. 139mph is not the average speed of the center of mass on the playing card. It’s a combination of the card speed and the linear speed of the rotating edge of the card.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #56 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 11:55am

The card would have to be as big as the distance between the sensors for that to be picked up.  Since it uses sensor separated much by several card lengths, any spin would be averaged out to some degree. If it were a radar gun and just picking up all of the doppler shifts that occur from reflected waves, then maybe it would see the spinning as increased (and decrease) velocity, though I doubt the cross-section is big enough for the card edges for this to happen.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #57 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 12:08pm

Not quite.    A chrony works on the assumption that the shape and geometry of the thing it is measuring don't change, and that's not true with a playing card.  Try throwing a circular playing card and see if that gives the same speed reading.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #58 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 1:51pm

I believe your reasoning is incorrect, but without a chronometer to test, I can't know for sure. If I had a chronometer, I'd certainly run this test to make sure I understood its limitations.

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #59 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 2:50pm

the card length difference length-width is 2.5cm if the sensor gap is 30cm then the error will be +/-8.3%

the card was going super fast for a card or the error was bigger . those sensors seem to get a lot of errors but if there were many such readings then yes it was super fast

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy)