Send Topic Print
Hello from HongKong (Read 1957 times)
oldavid
Descens

I sling, therefore I am
lock and loaded

Hello from HongKong
Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:18pm

Hello everyone. Just thought i would let you guys know you've got a new person who's interested in slinging. Anyways my name's David, as y'all know. That's why slinging means something to me (y'know David and Goliath). I'm from Hong Kong (if you don't know where that is, just go on and live your life as before). Started off with building/designing my own wooden switchblades and blowgun, somehow or other (Funditor) ..got interested in Slinging! Grin
Slinging looks so awesomely fun, and it seems simple, yet complex....how do you describe it?
Well I'd like to make my own sling, but leather in HK's not that common, and if you guys have good tutorials on how to make slings, please post them. Cheesy Very much appreciated.
Btw it's very hard to find a spot in HK that's open and 'set apart' from people, since we're literally cramped in a small city. Thanks again! Cheesy

David: "Seriously, I was just shooting that little birdie when Goliath's face suddenly popped up!"&&&&Police: "Yea yea...let's see if the jury believe you."

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Re: Hello from HongKong
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 2:48am

Welcome to the forum.

Many of us know where Hong Kong is Wink. One of the longest registered members here (Tint) lives there.
There are many ideas for making slings with or without leather. Start at the articles on the site home page, and go from there. Take the time to look around a little, you will find a lot of information there.

The sling is as you say both simple and complex. We are all puzzling over that Smiley

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 8:31am

Welcome to the forum!  Always great to have new members.  Definately check the articles section.  You can make a sling out of practically anything.  As far as open area, if you use tennis balls for ammo, you don't really have to have that much space.  If you can find a gym, or garage, or even a... tennis court maybe... you can practice.  I do a lot of practice in a warehouse with tennis balls.  

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 11:13am

Another slinger from Hong Kong!!!! Shocked

Nay Ho!  I have been the only from this part of the world since the dawn of time.  So Glad to see someone else join the forum.

Thanks for sending me a privite message.  I live on the opposite side of town from you at Clearwater Bay.  Over the years I have found a few awesome spots around there.  If you have the time to come out here I'll show you.

IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 12:32pm

WELCOME!!!
to the asylum, that is...

if my memory serve corectly, tint practiced hiw firs slinging inside with, umm...paper maybe?

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 6:04am

well knowing tint - I'd probably go for tennis balls as his first ammo ;-)

If you want some leather drop me a pom and I'll send some out - I've got a bunch to send anyway. Now slingfest's out of the way I might get round to it :-)

But the very best way for you to get initiated into slinging is to spend a couple of hours in tints compoany on a beach with lots of free ammo :-)

Oh yeah and get an aussie pouch :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

oldavid
Descens

I sling, therefore I am
lock and loaded

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 7:35am

Oh you mean you can actually send me raw leather? Niiiice! Now i can give up the idea of killing cows to skin them for leather... Roll Eyes How much is postage anyways?
yeah...I'll try to get somewhere near Tint...stalk him if i can...oops i didn't mean that Tint Lips Sealed
Now I'm just practicing at home (700square feet) with newspaper balls wrapped around with rubberbands. Grin BTW you can't get Aussie pouches in HK...hong kong people really don't know anything about slinging (some dont' even know what's slinging). Tongue

David: "Seriously, I was just shooting that little birdie when Goliath's face suddenly popped up!"&&&&Police: "Yea yea...let's see if the jury believe you."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 9:39am

lol you can get aussie pouches anywhere in the world.
You pm your address to aussieslinger with a polite request for an aussie pouch and - as if by magic - a week later the post man delivers you an aussie pouch - with cords attached if you want :-)

And for some reason we don't believe in charging people for sending them free stuff (blame aussieslinger). So yep, I will send you a bit of leather sufficient to make at least 2 pouches with: free, gratis and for nothing :-)

Probably best not to stalk tint - I sent him a rather nice little anti-personnel club he tends to carry round with him ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 9:46am

Hi oldavid,
One of the nice things about the aussiepouch is that you can not buy it anywhere, just PM Aussieslinger a nice message including your address, and he will send one, free of charge, (as long as he can keep up with demand.)

You have found the thread about the pouch, I have seen. Just send of that PM, you will not regret it.

They are worth having, great for tennisballs but also for golfball size ammo, and better than most of us can whip out for ourselves.

You can still make your own, no reason not to.
The easy way to get leather is to kill an old handbag, skin it and use the leather (or fake leather.)
Bigger pieces can be found on leather furniture that have lived beyond usefulness, again, real or fake leather. Both can be used.
And old shoes are also often used as source.

And by the way, in most countries people do not really know what slings are and what slinging is, most of us have met people not understanding.
Those people that are familiar with the bible stories will often recognize it as Davids weapon against Goliath, but have never seen one nor heard of someone using it they might have met in real life.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

oldavid
Descens

I sling, therefore I am
lock and loaded

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 12:01pm

Thanks everyone!  Grin I told my Mom about all these wonderfully helpful strangers from Slinging.org, and she was like "How adorable (not like kitten oochy-goochy adorable...like...oh just...you get the idea). Roll Eyes
  The problem is, I'm not used to the idea of having someone send me free stuff. In HK, 99.999% of the things are either not free or not worth anything. Oh well...I really would like to try making my own pouch. I just made my first pouch the day before yesterday Grin And it felt SOO awwwsome! It's made with shoelaces tied to an unknown fabric as the pouch, and strengthened with pipe/wiring tape. Not exactly the eye candy like all of yours, but quite workable!
   Now my arm's kinda sore, cuz I practice too hard at home...that's what comes with doing a Greek overhand in a 3X3feet area.. Sad
   Now I'm just wondering where I can get paracord...and how much it'll cost. It looks like such a wonderful fibre to work with...at least better than shoelaces.. Undecided
   Anyways enough ranting! Thanks once again all of y'all...great help I got here. This slinging community is like...the Awesomestest...(as the my girl classmates word it) Grin
  BTW C_A Thanks for your offer! But being the helpful person my Dad is...and he being the traditional Chinese person...he wouldn't allow you sending me such beautiful fabric from somewhere in the world, when I can just get it in HK. Probably gonna cut up some old leather couch/sofa that we can find in a trashbin or something. No thanks to rich HK people who change sofas every year... Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar)