Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battle ax!! (Read 1441 times)
wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Battle ax!!
Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:16am

I was bored today and found a small ax head and decided to make a Battle ax of sorts with it. I used a approximately 4.5 foot long pine rod that I cut down a bit and jammed the head on as tight as possible.. took about 10 minutes of strong hits with a hammer to get it on..so it not coming off any time so. I did some basic tests with it...
stats: ax head: 1.5lbs(moderately dull) shaft: 4.5 feet long

I was able to make  a inch deep cut into 1/2 inch and 1 inch thick ply wood
it was very easy to handle with one or two hands moving any way you want.. its almost identical in feel to any staff   and had a lot of power to it. using moderate effort a jarring strike was possible.. and even more effective when using the back of the ax head .. the only modification I need to make is to file a grip into the  shaft.. I may get a larger ax head and a hickory shaft later on Smiley

oh also when I tested the ax on several layers of cardboard it had total penetration, similar to what a arrow from my 45lb recurve.. the ax head is still totally secured on the shaft

I will also try some live tests a little later.. I have a shield atm but I dont wana wreck it lol so Ill make a quick shield in the next few days
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:24am by N/A »  

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Battle ax!!
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 7:11am

sounds like a 'Norman' axe:

tons of fun. i've played with real ones against metal and leather for testing, and cast rubber heads for full contact fighting.

great weapon.

and you can gather firewood with it. even better.

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 10:10am

Eventually, you will want a better handle. Pine won't stand up well. Ash was traditional.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:43am

Hickory also makes a excellent handle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris)