Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
reintro (Read 4785 times)
rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

reintro
Jun 23rd, 2008 at 9:54pm

been away from the site for a while, might as well reintroduce myself.

i'm Rob in upstate New York.

been slinging off and on since i was a kid. made my own from old leather bits, jeans, etc..

made a couple in high school and college for the Dungeons & Dragons crowd because they were cool.

now i'm 38, a cop, play in the SCA, shoot archery, atlatls, do full contact stickfighting (Dogbrothers), filipino stick/knife combatives, try primitive living skills and sling along the banks of the Mohawk River.

still working on sling accuracy. on a good day with about a 1/2 hour warm-up i can keep stones on a 3' x 3' target at 60 yards. this usually lasts about 10 shots, then i lose it and have to start over.

my favorite sling is my old wool Peruvian that i got from Flight-Toys a long time ago. i occasionally make simple split pouches for people when they tell me they've never tried a sling.

so yeah, hello again..... Smiley

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: reintro
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 12:49am

Hi Rob,

Welcome from Australia. You sound like a pretty active sort of guy. How long have you been a police officer? You may have noticed a thread in General Discusion about a member who had a run in with a police officer who got nervous about him slinging. It would be good to hear from someone who experiences life from the other point of view.

Over 20 years ago I had the unfortunate experience of being in a building where a gunman opened fire at random and killed 8 people before being subdued. He managed to break free from those holding him down and jumped to his death from the 11th floor. There were TRG officers with guns drawn running around all over the place as initially they had no idea how many gunmen there were and the extent of the incident. Afterwards some people asked me, "Weren't you scared when you saw the cops with their guns." I replied, "No, thats when I stopped being scared, they were there to protect me (us)"

Here we have an annual campaign where we publicly show our support for our Police Force by flying little blue and white checkered flags from our car antennas or wearing them as lapel badges.

Keep up the good work.

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 1:39am

Rob,

Welcome back!  Been a while ... almost two years.  Hey, AussieSlinger beat me to it, about the topic
Rolled on by local PD
.  I, too, would like to hear your point of view about the matters under discussion there.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 6:59am

Welcome back. Where in upstate NY are you??

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 4:04pm

i'm outside Utica,NY. basically in the geographic center.

heh, i was avoiding that thread, but i guess i'll give it a try.

only been an LEO about three years, but being state with joint operations with FBI and DEA you see a lot fast. before that i was a psych counselor in civil and forensic settings for 13 years.

i decided i had to stop back after hanging out with forumite Slingbadger at a SCA event last weekend.

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:30pm

IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:34pm

LOL!
Awsome
what did you used for that sword?
bulet proof, nice  Cool

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

GoldenWolf

A woman with stones........and
a sling or two.

Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:47pm

I'm not Rob, but since that's an SCA fighter weapon, I can tell you that it's basically rattan wrapped in duct tape. I don't know what he used for the thrusting tip, since a larger variety of materials can be used for that. SCA legal weapons for combat are always rattan.

To ensure perfect aim, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target&&&&I intend to live forever, or die trying.&&&&I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:50am

love the helmet.
so are you greek light infantry ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 6:59am

Cretan mercenary.  Smiley

sometimes i'll use a sling for a belt with a short linen tunic.

that's from last Spring. i'm also working on a 1st c. gladiator rig built up around a replica of the Hawkedon helmet i had made:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/279557536_1715093b0d.jpgv=0

yeah,  the sword is standard rattan wrapped in fiberglass packing tape, then duct tape. for thrusting tips i use the foam sold for cartop kayak carriers. that one looks a little like a Q-tip, due to numerous quick repair jobs.

oh, and for any fellow SCAdians, i'm "Robin Wallace; Count and Master of Arms. Kingdom of AEthelmearc" [cue theme music...].

a little fight footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd43WSZVeSg&feature=related

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:53am

nice hat - liked the fight with the guy with the short spear best :-)
Interseting contrast of weapons and styles. Also shield versus no-shield.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:23pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1214272473/0#10 date=1214409191]nice hat - liked the fight with the guy with the short spear best :-)
Interseting contrast of weapons and styles. Also shield versus no-shield.

[/quote]

Count Sir Maynard. that guy rocks. he fought sword an shield for years and sucked. then he picks up a 5' polearm (generic SCA term) and kicks ass. one of the few that can make it work. deadliest accountant i know.

i don't think i've ever had that many double-kills in a fight.

of course it doesn't hurt that he's played hockey since he was 2.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 7:12am

ah that'll be it - a weapon much like a straight hockey stick.
He ought to go the whole hog and use a real hockey stick and claim the curved edge is an axe head. The guy would be unstoppable :-)

So what's with the falling over or kneeling down after each hit. I noticed you did the kneeling thing after you'd actually scored a point as well. Which confused the matter a bit lol

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 3:49pm

simply put "a blow of sufficient force to the head or torso" is a "kill".

in practice, you acknowledge the blow or i hit you harder, until we reach an agreement.

kneeling means the leg was taken, but the blow didn't hit a 'kill' area, same with arm shots.

kneeling can also mean (in that fight iirc) that i was telling the crowd he killed me at the same time i killed him, "double kill".

we also kneel to do honors to our consort, royalty, etc..

heh, no one is unstoppable. many fights only last a fraction of a second from first contact. any given monkey on any given day.

we also do full scale battles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCgCjaD-iyw&feature=related

this one is part of a week long event that draws about 12,000 people from all over the world, with battles consisting of about 1000 to a side.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:50am

Rob, we spoke at AEcademy briefly. Glad to see that we can talk. There are a few more SCAdians on here also.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)