Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oklahoma Historical Balearic Slinger :) (Read 20594 times)
winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Oklahoma Historical Balearic Slinger :)
Jun 16th, 2008 at 12:58am

As many of you know I am one of several SCA slingers on this forum. I am also intrested in eventually hunting with the sling. I stumbled onto a group that does medieval hunting, In order to gain admittance you have to send several pics of you wearing your hunting kit. Oh yeah Historically accurate hunting kit. I sent this set of pics which my wife took.

Enjoy

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Oklahoma Historical Balearic Slinger :)
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 1:00am

Here's another

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 1:01am

And another

This one was to show the sling and the actually size of the rock

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 1:02am

And yet another

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 1:03am

And the last one,
Yes the sling is being held a little high. I wanted to stage this one so the admittance committee could see the rock in the sling. As member of this forum know the apache style is done with the sling hanging down behind the slingers body.

Enjoy

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 10:26am

lol hang on, I'll shrink you down a bit - that's just too much scrolling for me :-)

You know I always imagined you with more hair ;-)

The 5 th picture was the same as the 4th one - just out of focus.

What's that blue igloo thing in the background ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 11:05am

Large images don't bother me much, Firefox can handle them: right-click the image, select "View Image" (top item in the pop-up menu), and Firefox automagically resizes the image in a new view.  You can click the image to view it full size again.  Then backspace to return to looking at the posts.  Micro$oft Internet Exploder can do something similar, but you have to put the mouse over the image, wait a second until Bill Gates deigns to show you a "resize" icon in the lower right corner of the screen, and go click on it.  I prefer how Firefox does it.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 12:00pm

NP C_A I thought the pics were a bit smaller than they were. My apoligies.

Actually the 5th was a bit diffrent in that the sling was held a bit more to the side so the judging comittee could see the sling.

And yep i've been this way ever since I was about 25 or so, I had no illusions about my hair status after looking at all my male relatives :)

The Blue Igloo thing is my kids climbing toy, pretty much a geodesic dome that they can scramble up on.

Marc Adkins

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1213592344/0#5 date=1213626373]lol hang on, I'll shrink you down a bit - that's just too much scrolling for me :-)

You know I always imagined you with more hair ;-)

The 5 th picture was the same as the 4th one - just out of focus.

What's that blue igloo thing in the background ?
[/quote]

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 5:44pm

[quote]Large images don't bother me much, Firefox can handle them: right-click the image, select "View Image" (top item in the pop-up menu), and Firefox automagically resizes the image in a new view.  You can click the image to view it full size again.  Then backspace to return to looking at the posts.  Micro$oft Internet Exploder can do something similar, but you have to put the mouse over the image, wait a second until Bill Gates deigns to show you a "resize" icon in the lower right corner of the screen, and go click on it.  I prefer how Firefox does it. [/quote]

lol - it was probbly quicker for me to resize and stitch them together :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 6:13pm

it would look more realistic without the climbing dome in the back

from what I've seen of the weather there, you might be hunting underwater.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 10:41pm

Cranky photographer. The spouse didn't wanna to walk down and take the shots by the tree line Sad

Actually the clan is O.K. I'm currently in the Texas panhandle where it actually it looks like it might rain here for the first time in months.

Actually heard barck from the Rangers, they think the garb is a little too early for them. So week after next I'm going to break out the 14th century Swiss stuff.

Marc

slingbadger wrote on Jun 18th, 2008 at 6:13pm:
it would look more realistic without the climbing dome in the back

from what I've seen of the weather there, you might be hunting underwater.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 1:49pm

Hi ,winkleried. Have studied your pictures.  Later I have done some thinking.
I seem to observ a double split in one of your slings. Does it feel better/safer/different than a normal split?  And I guess you, as a balearic slinger, use different lenghts for different distances. Do you feel a big difference? 
And I think some people around here would like to know more about your ammo bag Wink
timann

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 1:01am

One I am from Oklahoma Not from anyof the Balearic Islands, I have been studying the Balearics for a couple of years now. I am wearing ,based on my research, the three slings that were mentioned by the Greek historians. the length of the slings are also based on my research into many historical slinging resources.

yes there is a diffrence in how each of the diffrent sizes handles, mainly between the short and the long sling.

All but one of the slings I am wearing are of the normal split called the Latin stye by the Balearics. That one is the Egyptian ( also called the Eutruscan). This is the one you are wondering about.

Personally I detest split pouches. In my opinion they severely limit your options for ammunition. However for historical reenactment purposes I have to use them. Out of the latin and egyptian styles I would recomend the egyptian ( Eutruscan) it seems to give the rock more support. Another key factor is these slings are designed to use large rocks for thier ammunition.

for my bag check the arcives. I mentioned it several times in the past.

Marc Adkins

timann wrote on Jun 19th, 2008 at 1:49pm:
Hi ,winkleried. Have studied your pictures.  Later I have done some thinking.
I seem to observ a double split in one of your slings. Does it feel better/safer/different than a normal split?  And I guess you, as a balearic slinger, use different lenghts for different distances. Do you feel a big difference?  
And I think some people around here would like to know more about your ammo bag Wink
timann

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 11:43am

Thanks, winkleried. 
I knew that Central Oklahoma is not realy one of the Balearic Islands Grin, I just ment your reenactment as a balearic slinger. It obviously require some investigation Smiley
timann

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 9:05pm

I think for realism purposes you are much too clean. Outfit needs to look more "lived in". Good job though.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)